Dangerous Roads

Old September 18th 03, 02:02 PM
Robert Bruce

Default Dangerous Roads

The AA has published a list of Britain's most dangerous roads.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3116790.stm

Apparently, whereas a dangerous tree is one that might fall on top of you
and a dangerous bear is one that may act unpredictably and aggressively
towards humans, rather than being full of holes or mines, a dangerous road
is one where drivers have to concentrate a bit and not just sling their
death machines into automatic pilot, the poor loves.

--
Rob

Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute and
benefit.

Old September 18th 03, 02:06 PM
W K

"Robert Bruce" robatanalytical-dynamicsdotcodotyoukay wrote in message
The AA has published a list of Britain's most dangerous roads.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3116790.stm

Apparently, whereas a dangerous tree is one that might fall on top of you
and a dangerous bear is one that may act unpredictably and aggressively
towards humans, rather than being full of holes or mines, a dangerous road
is one where drivers have to concentrate a bit and not just sling their
death machines into automatic pilot, the poor loves.

Worse than that. These are roads that are fun to drive or ride on.
People go miles to get to these playgrounds.

Old September 18th 03, 03:40 PM
Graham

"W K" wrote in message

"Robert Bruce" robatanalytical-dynamicsdotcodotyoukay wrote in message
The AA has published a list of Britain's most dangerous roads.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3116790.stm

Apparently, whereas a dangerous tree is one that might fall on top of

you
and a dangerous bear is one that may act unpredictably and aggressively
towards humans, rather than being full of holes or mines, a dangerous

road
is one where drivers have to concentrate a bit and not just sling their
death machines into automatic pilot, the poor loves.

Worse than that. These are roads that are fun to drive or ride on.
People go miles to get to these playgrounds.

It has to be said, stating the obvious I know. That there is no such
thing as a dangerous road !

Graham

Old September 18th 03, 05:56 PM
Graham

"Geraint Jones" wrote in
message ...
"Graham" wrote:
( It has to be said, stating the obvious I know. That there is no such
) thing as a dangerous road !

Tell that to the hedgehogs.

Roads don't kill Hedgehogs. Cars and other vehicles driving over the top
of them do that !

Graham

Old September 18th 03, 06:24 PM
Peter B

"Graham" wrote in message
It has to be said, stating the obvious I know. That there is no such
thing as a dangerous road !

I know what you mean and agree that the road is passive.
Unfortunately you could be walking/cycling/driving quite safely but because
the road layout presents a challenge to someone else, requiring to think to
a level they can't rise to, you end up a victim.
Therefore that section of road, benign in itself, is dangerous to use.

Pete

Old September 18th 03, 09:38 PM
Neal Milne

"Robert Bruce" robatanalytical-dynamicsdotcodotyoukay wrote in message
, a dangerous road
is one where drivers have to concentrate a bit and not just sling their
death machines into automatic pilot, the poor loves.

I think you'll find that most of the people using this forum also own "death
machines" as well as bikes so cut the condescension please.

Old September 18th 03, 09:53 PM
Robert Bruce

I think you'll find that most of the people using this forum also own
"death
machines" as well as bikes

So do I. And I drive the A44 (number 9 on the AA's list) twice a week, so I
feel safe in stating that there is absolutely nothing dangerous about his
road if due care and attention is paid not only to road but also to traffic
conditions.

Old September 20th 03, 08:07 AM
Peter B

"Zog The Undeniable" wrote in message
This is about right. The nanny state strikes again! If I'm driving, I
work on the assumption that if I am sufficiently incompetent to lose
control of the car I may die. Too many people assume that the car will
always protect them. Cars are only crash tested to 40mph. If you stack
a car into a solid object at 60mph or faster, you are probably going to
die. What are we supposed to do - create huge gravel traps on every bend?

Not a lot of use you being able to keep on the road if the **** coming the
other way can't.
Hence you and the road may be perfectly safe but you, the road and a ****
equal an unsafe environment for you, commonly referred to as a dangerous
road :-)

Pete