Rear Bike Rack: What To Get ?

Old May 18th 15, 03:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob[_19_]

Default Rear Bike Rack: What To Get ?

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the previous help.

Want to help son get a rear mounted bike rack for a 2015 Subaru Outback.
Amazed at how many mfg's and variations are available.

Would appreciate any recommendations for a:

2 bike rack
And for a 3 bike rack.

What makes them "better" ?

As I know nothing about this kinda item, would appreciate any
hints on what to look for, absolutely get in way of features,
and most important, probably, what to avoid.

Something really safe, as sure don't want the Rack coming off, either
with OR without the bikes, on the highway !

Also, the Rack should be easy and straight forward to put on or off
the car.

**Or, do most of you folks just leave it on all of the time ?

Any that do a better job on not obscuring view out of back window ?

Thanks, as always,
Really appreciate the help,
Bob
Old May 18th 15, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Mon, 18 May 2015 10:46:56 -0400, Bob wrote:

**Or, do most of you folks just leave it on all of the time ?

I put my bike in the trunk.

I'm not sure it will go into the trunk of my current car -- when I
yell for help, DH drives the pickup truck.

(I yell for help more often than I used to. At seventy-four, I figure
it's a lot cheaper to pay the boy at the Trailhouse to fix my flats
than to change a tube while sitting in the hot sun on gravel while
convoys of semis roar past.)

Disclaimer: I live within walking distance of the only bike shop in
town, and I have to finagle to make a ride to the farthest local box
store into exercise, so I put the bike into a motor vehicle only after
yelling for help.

But I've been thinking of driving to a parking lot in another town, as
I used to do when we lived in upstate New York. (Drive to
supermarket, ride to shopping malls, buy perishables at the
supermarket, drive home.)

So I ran out and measured: The trunk is sixty inches, the bike is
sixty-six. But it should go if I put it in diagonally and turn the
front wheel. Luckily, the Versa is a four-door, so I can pull as well
as push.

And I drove to Fort Wayne all my myself last Thursday and, in
fulfillment of my New Year resolution, stopped at Gordon Food Service
on the way back. So driving to a mall should be no problem, except
for the part about having nowhere to take my afternoon nap.

But I didn't see a lot of bikable streets, and the "bike" (i.e.
pedestrian-and-skateboard) facilities give no thought at all to
getting to the other side of barriers. It doesn't matter *where* you
pointlessly ride around in circles, after all, and *nobody* would
*ever* ride a bike to go anywhere.

--
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/ -- needlework

Old May 19th 15, 01:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Duane[_3_]

On 18/05/2015 10:46 AM, Bob wrote:
Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the previous help.

Want to help son get a rear mounted bike rack for a 2015 Subaru Outback.
Amazed at how many mfg's and variations are available.

Would appreciate any recommendations for a:

2 bike rack
And for a 3 bike rack.

What makes them "better" ?

As I know nothing about this kinda item, would appreciate any
hints on what to look for, absolutely get in way of features,
and most important, probably, what to avoid.

Something really safe, as sure don't want the Rack coming off, either
with OR without the bikes, on the highway !

Also, the Rack should be easy and straight forward to put on or off
the car.

**Or, do most of you folks just leave it on all of the time ?

Any that do a better job on not obscuring view out of back window ?

What kind of bikes? If they're carbon fiber you pretty much need a rack
that the bike sits on rather than hangs on. I use a roof rack but have
friends with racks that mount on a bumper hitch. Thule make some decent
ones.

I think in general with a rear mounted rack you want one that keeps the
bikes separated so they don't bang into each other. If you look at the
hitch mounted racks they should fit on most cars with the detail being
how to mount the hitch. Otherwise you need to look for one specific to
your car.

While Thule isn't the only supplier and probably not the cheapest at any
rate, you can go to this link:
http://www.thule.com/en-us/ca/buyers...=bike+carriers
If you choose a rear mounted rack it will prompt you for the number of
bikes, make and model of the car etc.