I'm in love...

Old May 18th 07, 02:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Graeme Dods

Default I'm in love...

....it started out just as pure lust. Idle hours spent gazing at
pictures of the object of my desires on the internet, some of them
exotic pictures of solo beauty, a few pictures of twosomes and the
rarer pictures of ones which go both ways. However, like many such
dreamers I knew that my chances of meeting one in the flesh and
getting to properly touch and feel one were few and far between. That
is, until earlier this week when I took the opportunity for a furtive
little side trip to the outskirts of Melbourne in the hope of a quick
ride. I pulled up at an anonymous little doorway tucked away in a side
street and was greeted with an array of such beauty I was quite taken
aback. Yes, the Greenspeed recumbent factory is amazing (why, what
else did you think I was talking about?).

The guys at Greenspeed were very helpful. Mick showed me the various
models and then let me have a test ride on a GT3 along the nearby bike
path. This was my first ever ride on a recumbent (unless you count
that little plastic thing when I was a wee boy) and it was a wonderful
experience - the comfort, the speed, the ability to ride under boom
gates rather than around them :-) I was impressed with how small a
turning circle the trike had. My riding style was a little twitchy but
I'm sure that will improve when I get a proper chance to ride one
(fingers crossed for a big tax refund this year!). They were preparing
a tandem for a customer and it was an amazing piece of engineering,
it's now second on my bike shopping list (it can take a few years to
ever buy items on this list, if at all). They don't make the solo/
tandem convertible recumbent which I thought looked so impressive on
their web site, but Mick's explanation for dropping it did make sense
(a pain to build, low sales and similar in cost to a separate tandem
and a solo).

So if anyone's ever even thought of buying a recumbent, have a trip to
the Greenspeed factory and it will convince you!

Graeme

Old May 18th 07, 04:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle
petulance

On May 18, 11:41 am, Graeme Dods wrote:
...it started out just as pure lust. Idle hours spent gazing at
pictures of the object of my desires on the internet, some of them
exotic pictures of solo beauty, a few pictures of twosomes and the
rarer pictures of ones which go both ways. However, like many such
dreamers I knew that my chances of meeting one in the flesh and
getting to properly touch and feel one were few and far between. That
is, until earlier this week when I took the opportunity for a furtive
little side trip to the outskirts of Melbourne in the hope of a quick
ride. I pulled up at an anonymous little doorway tucked away in a side
street and was greeted with an array of such beauty I was quite taken
aback. Yes, the Greenspeed recumbent factory is amazing (why, what
else did you think I was talking about?).

Bloody hell. You had me for a moment there ...

But seriously, a recumbent being an object of desire? Isn't that like
lusting after a Toyota Corolla?

Now here is one bike worth lusting after ...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2007...killeen_epic07

Old May 18th 07, 05:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Michael Warner[_2_]

On 17 May 2007 18:41:45 -0700, Graeme Dods wrote:

So if anyone's ever even thought of buying a recumbent, have a trip to
the Greenspeed factory and it will convince you!

So how much for a good one?

As a flat dweller, what would convince me is magically finding the space to
store it :-)

Old May 18th 07, 08:09 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Graeme Dods

On May 18, 12:52 pm, Michael Warner wrote:
On 17 May 2007 18:41:45 -0700, Graeme Dods wrote:

So if anyone's ever even thought of buying a recumbent, have a trip to
the Greenspeed factory and it will convince you!

So how much for a good one?

As a flat dweller, what would convince me is magically finding the space to
store it :-)

The one I rode has a base price of $3000. A lot of money, but can you
put a price on perfect bliss? :-) The size would be an issue for me
too, even as a non-flat dweller, but the GT3 does fold down very
quickly by removing the seat and folding in two. At this size it would
fit fairly happily into a car boot. It can be made even smaller by
removing the wheels. If you're even more space conscious then they can
fit (expensive) S&S couplings to their recumbents which allow you to
break it down to an armful of parts that can be stashed around the
house, hmmm... that's one way of hiding an expensive purchase from
the financial controller :-)

Graeme

Old May 18th 07, 08:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Michael Warner[_2_]

On 18 May 2007 00:09:41 -0700, Graeme Dods wrote:

So how much for a good one?

As a flat dweller, what would convince me is magically finding the space to
store it :-)

The one I rode has a base price of $3000. A lot of money, but can you
put a price on perfect bliss? :-)

The emotion you should be appealing to here is guilt, not happiness. Having
already spent more than that on a road bike, I should spent just as much on
a recumbent in order to be redeemed :-)

The size would be an issue for me
too, even as a non-flat dweller, but the GT3 does fold down very
quickly by removing the seat and folding in two.

Interesting. AFAIK there's only one shop in Adelaide that specializes in
recumbents, and I've never seen them at my usual haunts. I should go
there and take a look.

house, hmmm... that's one way of hiding an expensive purchase from
the financial controller :-)

I have no FC. That's why I didn't say money was the problem :-)

Old May 20th 07, 03:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_185_]

Graeme Dods Wrote:
....it started out just as pure lust. Idle hours spent gazing at
pictures of the object of my desires on the internet, some of them
exotic pictures of solo beauty, a few pictures of twosomes and the
rarer pictures of ones which go both ways. However, like many such
dreamers I knew that my chances of meeting one in the flesh and
getting to properly touch and feel one were few and far between.

Oooooo, you foxy minx. So you're now completely lost to the world of
wedgies now?

--
cfsmtb

Old May 20th 07, 07:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Graeme Dods

On May 20, 10:25 am, cfsmtb cfsmtb.2qv...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:

Oooooo, you foxy minx. So you're now completely lost to the world of
wedgies now?

Probably not. The speed of my move to the dark side will depend on the
size of any tax refund I get this year (almost everything else is
going on the renos and the impending bub) so it may not happen even
happen this year, but it will happen! I'll still ride the wedgie when
I go mountain biking (well, what passes for "mountain" biking around
Perth) and when out with the family as the chances are my wife will
nick the wheeled armchair :-)

Graeme

Old May 21st 07, 11:05 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Everett

wrote:

[...]

Never fall in love with an inanimate object...it won't love you back!

--
jeverett3ATsbcglobalDOTnet (John V. Everett)
Old May 22nd 07, 02:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Graeme Dods

On May 22, 6:05 am, John Everett
Never fall in love with an inanimate object...it won't love you back!

I've had girlfriends like that in the past :-/

But wait a minute, as a cyclist you think bikes are inanimate?
Careful, your bike will hear you and you'll have a spate of punctures
this week. They're spiteful like that (or are we back to my past
relationships again?)

Graeme

Old May 22nd 07, 02:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_201_]

John Everett Wrote:

Never fall in love with an inanimate object...it won't love you back!

Didn't you listen closely to the lyrics of 'In every dream home a
heartache?'

--
cfsmtb