Horn Blowing = Lion's Roar?

Old April 29th 08, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
ComandanteBanana

Default Horn Blowing = Lion's Roar?

On Apr 29, 8:25*am, ComandanteBanana
wrote:
On Apr 28, 8:01*pm, mmeiser wrote:

Pardon if I'm off topic but I have a quick question.

I've been browsing the rec.bicylces.rides and other rec.bicycles
usenet groups via google, and they seem completely full of spam except
for this post.

I hope this isn't a stupid question but are there some actual users
dialoguing on here regularly or is it all spam?

If so, how many people are actually regularly participating and how do
you use this group with so much spam?

-Mike
mmeiser.com/blog

So I guess you don't use the horn to mark territory. Funny, dogs mark
territory be peeing all over. I hope it doesn't catch on with the SUV
drivers.

It's early morning and I make mistakes like this. This answer is
supposed to match Chris' comment.
Old April 29th 08, 05:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Don Whybrow

ComandanteBanana wrote:

Bicycle bells vs. car's horn amount to this: The lion roars and the
bicycle answers back...meaow.

It's a kind of behavior signalling submission. "Ding, ding, ding"...

Might I suggest that one invests in an AirZound[1]

[1] I have no connection other than as a customer

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

You guys got something against spam? (Vriess, in _Alien 4_)
Old April 29th 08, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Apr 29, 12:18*pm, Don Whybrow wrote:
ComandanteBanana wrote:

Bicycle bells vs. car's horn amount to this: The lion roars and the
bicycle answers back...meaow.

It's a kind of behavior signalling submission. "Ding, ding, ding"...

Might I suggest that one invests in an AirZound[1]

[1] I have no connection other than as a customer

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

You guys got something against spam? (Vriess, in _Alien 4_)

Well, that sounds real good...

But wouldn't the lion take it as a challenge to his alpha male role?
How loud is a car's horn?
Old April 29th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling

In rec.bicycles.misc ComandanteBanana wrote:

Like I said somewhere else: most of the time the vehicle's blowing the
horn is equivalent to the lion's roar...

Generally sounds more like the braying of a jackass to me.

Bill

__o | Any time of the year is a time of sorrow and sadness
_`\(,_ | when we lose a loss of life.
(_)/ (_) | - George W. Bush
Old April 29th 08, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Don Whybrow

ComandanteBanana wrote:

Bicycle bells vs. car's horn amount to this: The lion roars and the
bicycle answers back...meaow.
It's a kind of behavior signalling submission. "Ding, ding, ding"...

Might I suggest that one invests in an AirZound[1]

[1] I have no connection other than as a customer

Well, that sounds real good...

But wouldn't the lion take it as a challenge to his alpha male role?
How loud is a car's horn?

According to Wikipedia 107 to 112 dB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_hor..._vehicle_horns

The AirZound produces 115 to 120 dB depending on sources although you
can adjust it while you are NOT on the move.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

My veal cutlet tried to beat the **** out of my cup of coffee...
the coffee just wasn't strong enough to defend himself. (Tom
Waits)
Old April 30th 08, 07:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Commandante Apeshit

Got it. Whenever I hear a horn I know to be afraid.

I hear horns all day long, so I should be fearful all day long.

Old April 30th 08, 09:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
LSMike

ComandanteBanana wrote:

Bicycle bells vs. car's horn amount to this: The lion roars and the
bicycle answers back...meaow.
It's a kind of behavior signalling submission. "Ding, ding, ding"...
Might I suggest that one invests in an AirZound[1]

[1] I have no connection other than as a customer

Well, that sounds real good...

But wouldn't the lion take it as a challenge to his alpha male role?
How loud is a car's horn?

According to Wikipedia 107 to 112 dB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_hor..._vehicle_horns

The AirZound produces 115 to 120 dB depending on sources although you
can adjust it while you are NOT on the move.

It can produce that for a very long time with a 2 litre coke bottle as
the reservoir, and some serious over-pressure.

You can actually adjust it whilst on the move, but I don't bother
since mine's used on motorvehicles. It's not suitable for
pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders, as it's far too loud to be
fair.
Old April 30th 08, 01:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Apr 29, 5:25*pm, wrote:
In rec.bicycles.misc ComandanteBanana wrote:

Like I said somewhere else: most of the time the vehicle's blowing the
horn is equivalent to the lion's roar...

* *Generally sounds more like the braying of a jackass to me.

Or perhaps the bullying of a bull?

Old April 30th 08, 01:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

ComandanteBanana wrote:

Bicycle bells vs. car's horn amount to this: The lion roars and the
bicycle answers back...meaow.
It's a kind of behavior signalling submission. "Ding, ding, ding"...
Might I suggest that one invests in an AirZound[1]

[1] I have no connection other than as a customer

Well, that sounds real good...

But wouldn't the lion take it as a challenge to his alpha male role?
How loud is a car's horn?

According to Wikipedia 107 to 112 dB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_hor..._vehicle_horns

The AirZound produces 115 to 120 dB depending on sources although you
can adjust it while you are NOT on the move.

I don't know but such a bluff may be a dangerous game to the cyclist.
As soon as the lion finds out that it's only a wimpy gazzelle...
Old April 30th 08, 01:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Apr 30, 2:21 am, Commandante Ape****
wrote:
Got it. Whenever I hear a horn I know to be afraid.

I hear horns all day long, so I should be fearful all day long.

You should never let the guard down in the jungle. But you should be
able to tell a threatening roar from a hesitant driver, though both
can be deadly.

Another survival strategy that may not save you, but at least won't
make you fearful all the time is to wear headphones with noise
cancellation. Anyway that's what many drivers do with their radios.
Just ENJOY EVERYTHING LIKE IT WAS THE LAST DAY OF YOUR LIFE...

The mouse that will roar William Asher Racing 0 January 9th 07 07:13 PM
You know it's blowing when ... Nick Kew UK 2 February 22nd 06 02:39 PM
Blowing the cobwebs off my MTB Ian B. UK 7 July 8th 05 12:36 AM
Blowing your nose Kenneth Clements UK 40 October 31st 03 12:46 PM
Rear Hub Bearing Roar S. Anderson General 2 October 22nd 03 12:10 PM