helicopter interrupts daily commute

Old July 30th 04, 01:26 AM
zzedd

Default helicopter interrupts daily commute

interesting commute this morning. i was riding on the bikeway in
brisbane near parliment house. when i was about 100m from the
government helipad, a helicopter crashed on landing. a fair amount of
debris scattered in front of me. the helecopter slipped off the pad
into the river. the two occupants got out ok and i spoke to them for
awhile. one had some blood streaming from his head. i couldn't get to
them because the rotor blades had sliced through the connecting bridge.
a few minutes later they were rescued by the emergency crew. because it
was in the city and close to parliament house, the police and emergency
people (and the press) were quick to arrive. after loitering around for
a few minutes, i continued on my commute to work (at QUT) ... a
little bit faster than usual with the help of some adrenalin!

--
zzedd

Old July 30th 04, 01:38 AM
hippy

zzedd Wrote:
a helicopter crashed on landing.

Bloody hell!

My 'interesting' commutes consist of near misses with cars or
puncturing
in the most annoying place and having to walk 2k in SPDs to a train
station.

hippy

--
hippy

Old July 30th 04, 01:55 AM
cirrus

zzedd,

Did you give anyone your contact details? The ATSB are always
interested in eye witness reports to aircraft accidents. Might prevent
a similar crash in the future. They have a 1800 number on their website

cirrus

Old July 30th 04, 02:13 AM
flyingdutch

zzedd Wrote:
a fair amount of debris scattered in front of me. the helecopter slipped
off the pad into the river. the two occupants got out ok and i spoke to
them for awhile. one had some blood streaming from his head. i couldn't
get to them because the rotor blades had sliced through the connecting
bridge.QUOTE]

cripes. must have been attempting a trackstand!

your lucky you didnt get diced. gotta bro-in-law who works in the
middle of the jungle in PNG and he has some very hairy stories of
helicopter flights going in-out of their base

So we gotta look UP too! Jazmo can relate...

--
flyingdutch

Old July 30th 04, 04:58 AM
Andrew Price

zzedd wrote -

interesting commute this morning. i was riding on the bikeway snip ... a

helicopter crashed on landing. a fair amount of
debris scattered in front of me.

Just love the notion of a cyclist coming to the assistance of a helicopter -
warms the cockles of my simplistic heart!

Hope the adrenalin is back to normal - what are you hoping to see on the
return commute ?

best, Andrew

Old July 30th 04, 09:27 AM
Mark Lee

In article ,

Hope the adrenalin is back to normal - what are you hoping to see on the
return commute ?

Nude female fun-run?
--
Mark Lee

Calorie Estimates.... LaoFuZhi UK 59 July 26th 04 07:17 PM
Does anybody commute from South Croydon, Purley to the City Simon Proven UK 3 August 12th 03 06:16 PM
Daily Riding (new thread) higb Mountain Biking 2 July 14th 03 05:15 PM