150,s for kh update

Old September 11th 05, 03:53 PM
befallin

Default 150,s for kh update

I posted earlier asking about the availability of 150 cranks for a
kh.Thanks to everyone who replied.
Here's what happened.
I called Roger at UDC to find my only option was 140,s so i ordered a
set.Next day i recieve the package,it's a birthday present from my other
half so I can't open it.Instead I place it carefully on the coffee table
and go to the pub.On my return I fondle my package while the wife
watches t.v.
Birthday,
I leap out of bed and before the kettle boils the bubble wrap is off.Oh
no! I have a set with the ankle biting knubs on.10 minutes of grinding
later and I hurridly fit the cranks dismayed at the massive difference
in size.Then I remove the cranks and fit the one with an L to the left
hand side....Idiot!
These cranks are tiny.I try a freemount in the back yard and my front
foot lands with just the heel on the pedal at a very Chaplinesque angle
and I have to dismount.Staring intently at the pedal I try again
,success,and I go into an idle.The smaller circle feels odd but I do
well,comparable to the 170's anyway.
A short practise later and I'm off to a friends house.Reaching the top
of the first hill I,m amazed at the speed of the ascent and the energy I
have left.Next a flatish ride through the parkand on to the steepest
hill in my town.Although short at about 400 feet it is very steep 1 in 4
or 25%.With 170's I have about a 99% success rate descending and about
75% ascending.Initially I try to go too slow and I get lifted out of the
seat by the back pedal,speeding up and gripping the handle solves this
issue and I make it comfortably.
A quick cup of tea later and it's time for the ascent,my speed up the
hill is fast but as I near the top I lose momentum,start zig zagging and
flailing wildly and I have to dismount.Not bad for a first attempt I get
within 10 feet of the top.The rest of the ride is downhill and the
shorter cranks encourage speed.My leaning turns take on another
dimension.This is great.
Next day it's off to the woods and here I really notice the difference
in speed.I manage almost all the stuff I've done with 170's failing only
at a slight incline with lots of roots, it seems much easier to get dead
pedaled with the 140's.
My hopping seems better and I can only put this down to a more natural
stance (for me anyway) with the 140's.
To summarize,the slight loss in hill climbing is more than made up for
by the extra speed of the 140's and I wish I had tried them sooner.
Johnhimsworth,if you're reading this."my legs are killing me"!
Stu

--
befallin
befallin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9424

Old September 11th 05, 05:49 PM
vanman2004

Where can you get replacement KH05 cranks?

--
vanman2004 - ...
vanman2004's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9184

Old September 11th 05, 08:19 PM
johnhimsworth

Pain is just weakness leaving the body. It will also make you a better
rider (maybe...)

05 KH cranks - unicycle.com?

John

--
johnhimsworth - Nullus Anxietas

What if the hokey cokey really is what it's all about?
johnhimsworth's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1788

Old September 12th 05, 01:46 AM
vanman2004

johnhimsworth wrote:
*Pain is just weakness leaving the body. It will also make you a
better rider (maybe...)

05 KH cranks - unicycle.com?

John *

I couldn't find them there....

Old September 12th 05, 03:12 AM
ChangingLINKS.com

befallin wrote:
*To summarize,the slight loss in hill climbing is more than made up
for by the extra speed of the 140's and I wish I had tried them
sooner.

Stu *

Calculate your ACTUAL speed increase.
You'll be quite surprised.

--
ChangingLINKS.com - member

Drew Brown
'Changing LINKS' (http://www.ChangingLINKS.com)
ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

Old September 12th 05, 09:17 AM
befallin

changingLINKS.com,

Hi are you saying my suprise will be at my lack of speed or the
increase.The smaller circles my legs are doing seem to help my spin rate
and speed .Overall my TOP speed may not have alltered too much but I,m
sure the speed I do whilst getting my breath back on the flat is
greater.
If I ever find the book I used to write my cycle computer readings in
I,ll refit the comp' and do a comparison.
Happy riding everyone
Stu

Old September 12th 05, 10:16 AM
unicus

Nice to hear you like your birthday present.

I moved from 150’s to 125’s on my 24” Muni and the benefits have
outweighed the deficits, for me anyway. I do have short legs and with a
background in Olympic weight lifting they are more suited to short
bursts of power which may be a factor. I’ve had a similar experience
with hills and getting, as you put it, ‘dead pedalled’ (I like that
term).

My main limiting factor is my stamina which no amount of crank size will
help but is something I’m working on. As for speed I don’t know if my
average speed has changed as I have nothing to compare but my max speed
with 150’s is 12mph and with 125’s is 15.5mph.

The thing about crank length, in my opinion, is that it is rider
specific and what is right for one may not be right for another so just
give it a go you might like it.

--
unicus - I need to change this

'Photos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Photos-from-unicus)
'Videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/unicus)
unicus's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/869

Old September 12th 05, 12:54 PM
kington99

Yeah i ride 140s on a 24" Muni. It's just that little bit faster than
the 170s, doesn't feel like your spinning and going nowhere but it is
probably only 1 mph faster, after a while i can do trials an street just
the same as on 140s, except high drops are tricky.

--
kington99 - I HAVE figured out how to change th

Dave

Old September 12th 05, 01:50 PM
norry

That’s a coincidence! This weekend my KH04 140 cranks arrived and I
managed to give them a try out this Sunday.

Like yourself I let out a groan when I realised that they were the ones
with the nubs but not having a way to grind then down fitted them
regardless. First impressions just looking at the Uni were how small
they looked!

I’d been looking forward (for better or worse) to trying out some
shorter cranks. I would have preferred 150’s but only 140’s were
available for the 04 model.

First attempt at mounting was weird, so was starting off. First test was
one of my local loops. Pretty easy stuff really with some climbing /
descending. Most of the track was hardpacked dirt/gravel with some
marshy grass hilly areas and loose stoney parts.
I found going up the hills to be fine, although these really are no test
(that will come later when I’ve got use to them a bit more), downhill I
found excellent (I have no break). I found the wheel wobbled less, and I
could flow with the hill. These hills were quite smooth and I need to
test them on some rocky descents to get a real feel for them. Stopping
quickly on the downhill however is going to take some fine tuning! Or
greater leg strength, or a break.

While I was there I also did some stairs both riding down and hoping up
which were fine, some rolling hops which were ok but need practice and a
drop off a bench which ended up in a nice pedal scrape!

Going to carry on with the experiment by attempting every riding that I
usually do with the 170s on the 140s this month. One ride in particular
has a nice steep rocky hill that say 60% of the time a can ride all the
way up with no upd or about 90% with 1 upd.

--
norry - Wanting more Muni rides
norry's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6901

Old September 12th 05, 02:02 PM
cathwood

This is a coincidence as I was just about to post about shorter cranks
on the onza. Mainly this: will I be able to change them myself - I'm not
big on technical things although I can try - do I need any special
tools?

My legs are only short and having both my 20" freestyle and my 29er set
up to perfection, i have realised that I'm not riding my onza 24"
because it's so uncomfortable. Feels like my knees are hitting my chin.
Have recently realised that's because they nearly are. I had to cut some
of the frame down when I first got it, as well as the seat post and the
cranks are way to long.

Cathy

--
cathwood - Lunicyclist