Headtube ovalization question:

Old July 17th 03, 02:35 AM
Slacker

Default Headtube ovalization question:

Hopefully I can make this question make sense.

Just for the sake of argument, assume the following facts: The headset (old one) was removed properly and a brand new one was
installed correctly with the careful use a good press.

Q: Is it possible to have an ovalized HT on your bike, but not be able to tell until after you install a new (or different) headset?
In other words, your bike is riding fine one day, you swap-out the headset, and now of the sudden, you're experiencing some play (or
gaps) with the newly installed one.

And yes, the i-drive is just fine. Just doing some fact checking/research.
--
Slacker

Old July 17th 03, 09:18 AM
bomba

Slacker wrote:
Hopefully I can make this question make sense.

Just for the sake of argument, assume the following facts: The headset (old one) was removed properly and a brand new one was
installed correctly with the careful use a good press.

Q: Is it possible to have an ovalized HT on your bike, but not be able to tell until after you install a new (or different) headset?
In other words, your bike is riding fine one day, you swap-out the headset, and now of the sudden, you're experiencing some play (or
gaps) with the newly installed one.

Yep, had a similar thing with my bmx. The old lower cup had deformed
with the headtube. Still worked ok, but when I installed a new headset
the rocking was noticeable.

Beer can shims are the way forward.

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm