RR: Hill Climb night

Old July 18th 03, 08:32 PM
MattB

Default RR: Hill Climb night

Did one of the community "fun" races at Crested Butte last night. I know
I'm slower than last year (been busy being a dad this year) but I'm not too
disappointed with the results. It was only 4.3 Miles but climbed Mt. Crested
Butte for about 2000'.
I raced sport and ended up being 10th out of 18 in about 50 Minutes. I
was a couple of minutes and a few places back from the same race last year.
The legs are a little tired today, but it's not too bad. I hope to get back
up for some of the other Thursday night races. It was pretty fun and
low-key. For the $12 entry fee you get all the pizza and Breckenridge beer
you can consume. Not bad and the workout was killer.

--

Matt

"Gravity. It's not just a good idea, it's the law!"

Old July 18th 03, 08:51 PM
botchka

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 13:32:57 -0600, MattB wrote:

Did one of the community "fun" races at Crested Butte last night. I know
I'm slower than last year (been busy being a dad this year) but I'm not too
disappointed with the results. It was only 4.3 Miles but climbed Mt. Crested
Butte for about 2000'.
I raced sport and ended up being 10th out of 18 in about 50 Minutes. I
was a couple of minutes and a few places back from the same race last year.
The legs are a little tired today, but it's not too bad. I hope to get back
up for some of the other Thursday night races. It was pretty fun and
low-key. For the $12 entry fee you get all the pizza and Breckenridge beer
you can consume. Not bad and the workout was killer.

I'm so jealous ;o). Went to Crested Butte about 15 years ago for Fat Tire
Bike Week and fell in love with the place. I remember a road with the name
of Washington or something like that? Someday would love to make it back
there. I understand now they have the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame there?
What's it like?

Thanks for the story about your race.
Greg
--
http://www.treelimb.org/
A blogunity
Old July 18th 03, 09:03 PM
MattB

"botchka" wrote in message
. ..
snip

I'm so jealous ;o). Went to Crested Butte about 15 years ago for Fat Tire
Bike Week and fell in love with the place. I remember a road with the

name
of Washington or something like that?

Washington Gulch. It's the climb to ride Trail 403. Helluva climb, but it
sure is nice at the top.

Someday would love to make it back
there. I understand now they have the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame there?
What's it like?

The just had a grand re-opening in early July and I haven't been back since.
They had to relocate after they lost the space they had been in for some
time. They are now in the historic "Tony's Conoco" building on Elk Ave. A
friend of mine is curator, so I really need to get in and check out the new
setup. They have a web site at http://www.mtnbikehalloffame.com if you want
more info.

Thanks for the story about your race.

You're welcome.

Greg
--
http://www.treelimb.org/
A blogunity

Matt

Old July 18th 03, 11:59 PM
MattB

"Craig Brossman" wrote in message
.. .
MattB wrote:

Did one of the community "fun" races at Crested Butte last night. I

know
I'm slower than last year (been busy being a dad this year) but I'm not

too
disappointed with the results. It was only 4.3 Miles but climbed Mt.

Crested
Butte for about 2000'.
I raced sport and ended up being 10th out of 18 in about 50 Minutes.

was a couple of minutes and a few places back from the same race last

year.
The legs are a little tired today, but it's not too bad. I hope to get

back
up for some of the other Thursday night races. It was pretty fun and
low-key. For the $12 entry fee you get all the pizza and Breckenridge

beer
you can consume. Not bad and the workout was killer.

Damn steep Mr. B, and at elevation. Makes Coal Bank Pass look easy,
which it ain't.

Neither was this. Not at race pace anyway. Definitely cleared out a few lung
nuggets. When I worked on the mountain this was a good lunchtime quickie
ride.
FYI Start elevation was about 9,350'. Now my most regular ride start
elevation is way down at 7,700'.

Also, it was impressive to see the expert class racers. Several of our local
experts are nationally ranked pros. The winner (a retired pro) finished in
34 Minutes. Damn impressive, but what's even more amazing is a friend's son
who was right behind him for a 2nd overall place. I think he's 17. The kid's
going places if he sticks with it. He recently won the Jr. division in a
regional race by 20 Minutes. I think they may have found him inside a meteor
or something...

Matt

Old July 19th 03, 01:04 AM
Penny S.

MattB scribbled :
MattB wrote:

Did one of the community "fun" races at Crested Butte last
night.

speaking of community fun races, I met the new single chick at Beacon last
night. We saw some "not usually there" flagging tape at some of the
junctions, but it wasn't until we had to pull over on the 2 miles climb for
6 riders within just a few minutes that we figured out we were riding "up"
the course for that week's fun race of the City Parks and Rec series. We
finally say arrows and what not later on.. but we weren't too concerned,
it's not like there was a lot of people.

Funny moment, later on. I was showing her part of the DH course that's kind
of fun (??!!) to ride; slick rock, and we saw a guy struggling up the hill
with a big pack on. Aprils freaking out," I know that guy, he's got a baby
with a helmet on in the pack" "Someone really does that, ride like that?"
"Yes!!" Segue into Darwinism conversation. Turns out it's a local I know,
pulling up flagging and signs after race, whaddya know...

2¢ from 1¢