Warranty issue

Old July 19th 03, 03:04 AM
D T W .../\\...

Default Warranty issue

"Baelwulfe" wrote in message

This week while riding my chain broke and lodged itself in my front
derailleur, breaking it apart at the bottom. I called the LBS where I
purchased it, and they told me without even seeing the bike that it is not

warranty issue. I have only had the bike for 2 months now is this normal,
or am I being screwed. On another note the giant web site states that the
NRS 3 comes with the rear shock pump, yet the LBS has told me 3 times that
it does not come with the NRS 3, but all the other bikes in the NRS line.

as always Thanks for any help

the lost newbie

From the information that you have given us we can assume:

2 months riding or 60 days x 50 miles per day = 3000 miles. I'd say that
the chain was due to break. You should have changed it sooner.

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest I've just wasted.

Old July 19th 03, 06:42 AM
Slash

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:25:54 -0700, "Baelwulfe"
scribbled:

This week while riding my chain broke and lodged itself in my front
derailleur, breaking it apart at the bottom. I called the LBS where I
purchased it, and they told me without even seeing the bike that it is not a
warranty issue. I have only had the bike for 2 months now is this normal,
or am I being screwed. On another note the giant web site states that the
NRS 3 comes with the rear shock pump, yet the LBS has told me 3 times that
it does not come with the NRS 3, but all the other bikes in the NRS line.

as always Thanks for any help

the lost newbie

My friend's '03 NRS3 came with a shock pump that fit both the front
Pilot SL and the rear Sid Air shocks. Are yours different?

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"
-The Onion
Old July 19th 03, 12:32 PM
Nelson Binch

"Baelwulfe" wrote in message

| This week while riding my chain broke and lodged itself in my front
| derailleur, breaking it apart at the bottom. I called the LBS where I
| purchased it, and they told me without even seeing the bike that it is not
| warranty issue. I have only had the bike for 2 months now is this normal,
| or am I being screwed. On another note the giant web site states that the
| NRS 3 comes with the rear shock pump, yet the LBS has told me 3 times that
| it does not come with the NRS 3, but all the other bikes in the NRS line.

Giant does not warranty chains (or any other "consumable" part like cables,
brake pads, tires, tubes) so they are correct in stating that. All warranty
claims are for "Factory Defects" and it would be difficult to show that a
chain had a defect. Take the bike in anyway and see what the dealer can or
will do for you. Put on a SRAM PC series chain and a new FD and go ride.

No NRS 3 has ever come packed with a rear shock pump and it is not listed in
the dealer manual or the catalog. The website must be in error. Generally
they don't provide these for the lowest price models (same thing with
Fisher) and they're only around $30 for a good one.

---
__o
_`\(,_ Cycling is life,
(_)/ (_) all the rest, just details.
Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
http://intergalax.com

Old July 19th 03, 02:59 PM
Sorni

"Nelson Binch" wrote in message
"Baelwulfe" wrote in message

| This week while riding my chain broke and lodged itself in my front
| derailleur, breaking it apart at the bottom. I called the LBS where I
| purchased it, and they told me without even seeing the bike that it is

not a
| warranty issue. I have only had the bike for 2 months now is this

normal,
| or am I being screwed.

Giant does not warranty chains (or any other "consumable" part like

cables,
brake pads, tires, tubes) so they are correct in stating that. All

warranty
claims are for "Factory Defects" and it would be difficult to show that a
chain had a defect. Take the bike in anyway and see what the dealer can

or
will do for you. Put on a SRAM PC series chain and a new FD and go ride.

But, but...I read on the Internet (so it must be true) that those chains
SUCK!

Trusting Bill

(PS: I agree about seeing what dealer will do, although it sounds like he's
already on "touchy" terms with 'em. Argument COULD be made that they didn't
assemble chain correctly, leading to premature e-jack-u-breakage.)

Old July 19th 03, 03:24 PM
Alan McClure

"Baelwulfe" wrote in message

| This week while riding my chain broke and lodged itself in my front
| derailleur, breaking it apart at the bottom. I called the LBS where I
| purchased it, and they told me without even seeing the bike that it is

not
| warranty issue. I have only had the bike for 2 months now is this

normal,
| or am I being screwed. On another note the giant web site states that

the
| NRS 3 comes with the rear shock pump, yet the LBS has told me 3 times

that
| it does not come with the NRS 3, but all the other bikes in the NRS

line.

Giant does not warranty chains (or any other "consumable" part like

cables,
brake pads, tires, tubes) so they are correct in stating that. All

warranty
claims are for "Factory Defects" and it would be difficult to show that a
chain had a defect. Take the bike in anyway and see what the dealer can

or
will do for you. Put on a SRAM PC series chain and a new FD and go ride.

No NRS 3 has ever come packed with a rear shock pump and it is not listed

in
the dealer manual or the catalog. The website must be in error.

Generally
they don't provide these for the lowest price models (same thing with
Fisher) and they're only around $30 for a good one.

---
__o
_`\(,_ Cycling is life,
(_)/ (_) all the rest, just details.
Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
http://intergalax.com

Wouldn't you think that even if the website is mistaken about the pump, that
he could contact Giant about the issue and get a pump from them somehow,
since it is their mistake? It seems to me that if Giant says things come a
certain way on their bikes, then they should be made somehow to follow
through. Of course if they refuse, then what can you do--nothin I guess.

Alan

Old July 19th 03, 03:41 PM
David Kunz

"Baelwulfe" wrote in message

| This week while riding my chain broke and lodged itself in my front
| derailleur, breaking it apart at the bottom. I called the LBS where I
| purchased it, and they told me without even seeing the bike that it is

not a

| warranty issue. I have only had the bike for 2 months now is this

normal,

| or am I being screwed.

Giant does not warranty chains (or any other "consumable" part like

cables,

brake pads, tires, tubes) so they are correct in stating that. All

warranty

claims are for "Factory Defects" and it would be difficult to show that a
chain had a defect. Take the bike in anyway and see what the dealer can

or

will do for you. Put on a SRAM PC series chain and a new FD and go ride.

But, but...I read on the Internet (so it must be true) that those chains
SUCK!

Trusting Bill

(PS: I agree about seeing what dealer will do, although it sounds like he's
already on "touchy" terms with 'em. Argument COULD be made that they didn't
assemble chain correctly, leading to premature e-jack-u-breakage.)

Or, the chain's defective (IMO) and since it comes with the bike, the
shop's responsible.

And, take a printout of the web page to the shop and push...

David

Old July 19th 03, 04:06 PM
Sorni

"Baelwulfe" wrote in message

| This week while riding my chain broke and lodged itself in my

front
| derailleur, breaking it apart at the bottom. I called the LBS where I
| purchased it, and they told me without even seeing the bike that it is

not
| warranty issue. I have only had the bike for 2 months now is this

normal,
| or am I being screwed. On another note the giant web site states that

the
| NRS 3 comes with the rear shock pump, yet the LBS has told me 3 times

that
| it does not come with the NRS 3, but all the other bikes in the NRS

line.

Giant does not warranty chains (or any other "consumable" part like

cables,
brake pads, tires, tubes) so they are correct in stating that. All

warranty
claims are for "Factory Defects" and it would be difficult to show that

chain had a defect. Take the bike in anyway and see what the dealer can

or
will do for you. Put on a SRAM PC series chain and a new FD and go

ride.

No NRS 3 has ever come packed with a rear shock pump and it is not

listed
in
the dealer manual or the catalog. The website must be in error.

Generally
they don't provide these for the lowest price models (same thing with
Fisher) and they're only around $30 for a good one.

---
__o
_`\(,_ Cycling is life,
(_)/ (_) all the rest, just details.
Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
http://intergalax.com

Wouldn't you think that even if the website is mistaken about the pump,

that
he could contact Giant about the issue and get a pump from them somehow,
since it is their mistake? It seems to me that if Giant says things come

certain way on their bikes, then they should be made somehow to follow
through. Of course if they refuse, then what can you do--nothin I guess.

Sorta like Marzocchi manuals saying "Use the M shock pump, included, to..."

Yeah, right.

Bill

Old July 19th 03, 10:50 PM
ClydesdaleMTB

Baelwulfe wrote:
This week while riding my chain broke and lodged itself in my front
derailleur, breaking it apart at the bottom. I called the LBS where I
purchased it, and they told me without even seeing the bike that it is not a
warranty issue. I have only had the bike for 2 months now is this normal,
or am I being screwed.

Chain breakage (outside of a week or two) is usually not a "covered"
item. As such, the consequental damage would not be covered either.
still any decent LBS should at least try and work with you towards a
compromise.

On another note the giant web site states that the
NRS 3 comes with the rear shock pump, yet the LBS has told me 3 times that
it does not come with the NRS 3, but all the other bikes in the NRS line.

as always Thanks for any help

Bring a print out of the web-page to the LBS and show them. If they do
not budge ask them to put it in writing, and then contact your Mfg.'s
Customer Service Dept. direclty.

--
John G.
http://www.shavings.net/survival.htm

Old July 19th 03, 10:53 PM
ClydesdaleMTB

Alan McClure wrote:

Wouldn't you think that even if the website is mistaken about the pump, that
he could contact Giant about the issue and get a pump from them somehow,
since it is their mistake?

ABSOLUTELY!

It seems to me that if Giant says things come a
certain way on their bikes, then they should be made somehow to follow
through.

Can you say "bait and switch"?

Of course if they refuse, then what can you do--nothin I guess.

State Attourney Genereal's office, Department of Consumer Protection.