thru AZ via Grand Canyon

Old August 2nd 04, 11:50 PM
Denis Kertz

Default thru AZ via Grand Canyon

I'm planning an Adventure Cycling (AC) Southern Tier route this fall and am
considering a side trip to the Grand Canyon. This would leave the AC route
at Wickenberg and head up to the South Rim and then head southeast to
re-connect with the AC route at Silver City, NM. To do this it looks like I
would have to head south to Flagstaff from the South Rim and ride the
interstate for about 80 miles to Holbrook before catching Hwy 180 to Silver
City.

I think the worst part of this side trip would be the interstate travel
between Flagstaff and Holbrook. I've toured on the interstate before and I
generally detest the noise pollution of the high speed traffic. However,
the only other possibility to avoid the interstate looks like traveling thru
the Hopi Indian Reservation east of the Grand Canyon. I'm guessing this is
pretty remote (264 to 77 to I40) with few services.

So I'm interested if anyone has knowledge of this area (or suggested
alternatives) which would be basically:
wickenberg-prescott-I40-williams-south
rim-cameron-flagstaff-I40-holbrook-hwy 180-silver city

Denis

Old August 3rd 04, 03:34 AM
gcdoss

Denis Kertz wrote:
[...]

Denis,
You could go on south of Flagstaff and take the same road through Payson
and central Az. that the RAAM riders did several months ago.
I would be scared of I-40 more than I-10.
Jerry
Old August 6th 04, 04:08 AM

Denis Kertz wrote:

So I'm interested if anyone has knowledge of this area (or suggested
alternatives) which would be basically:
wickenberg-prescott-I40-williams-south
rim-cameron-flagstaff-I40-holbrook-hwy 180-silver city

How about this:

South Rim - Flagstaff - Mormon Lake - Payson - Snowflake - ShowLow - Eagar
- Silver City

I don't know that terrain personally, but I hear the Mogollon Rim
country is gorgeous. That might translate into "challenging" riding.
I'd take it over I-40 anytime, though.

Bill