Photos and video from a tour of Santa Barbara.

Old October 29th 04, 12:42 AM
Zilla

JD wrote:
lid (terminaut) wrote in
message ...
88MB WMV video:
http://www.fooriders.com/videos/sb.wmv

I don't think I could ever ride with a group that seems to never shut
up and just ride. All of that "woohoo" stuff is quite a joke. It
sure took away from what looks like a fantastic trail in a (normally)
serene setting. Enjoy your crowd, someone has to.

JD

Woohoo!!!!!!

I had a different reason for not liking it - it made the video
"noisy." But they were having fun so WTF...

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Old October 29th 04, 09:06 PM
JD

JDwrote:

I don't think I could ever ride with a group that seems to never

shut up and just ride.
JD

My aren't we feeling self-important? I don't believe any of us gives
a rat's ass whether you could ride with us, but thanks anyways.

Oh, it's not about riding with you and your "woohoo" friends because I
can find my way wherever on my own. It's about enjoying the outdoors
without having to hear a bunch of wannabanshees yelp like wounded
canines. The first time I ride with one of those is always the last
time. It's interesting how many people just might find all of that
noise intrusive and churlish.

JD

On the other hand some of us look at it as the cost of introducing new
people to the sport, and nature. In a world the seems to encourage eat,
consme and be entertained, These are good things. I ride with a group of
grad 4-8 twice a year, and yes the pace and the noise can be irritating,
but I can always move off ahead for a bit and then fall back to get my
noise free "just ride" time.

Jason

Apples and oranges. I'm sure you don't take those kids on trails like
the one in the video. I'm sure the noisemakers in the video the OP
posted think they are "experienced" riders yet they don't seem to care
about taking away from the "experience" others may wish. I never let
it ruin a ride, but every time I encounter a group like that, I can't
help but be disgusted by their lack of respect for others who may be
out to enjoy the peace nature provides. The bright side to all of
this is having a few well kept local secrets and insanely remote high
country rides that would not provide enough oxygen for sea-level
dwellers to access, let alone muster up a whimper.

JD
Old October 29th 04, 09:46 PM
terminaut

"JD" wrote
terminaut wrote in message news:nntp.fooriders.com...
JDwrote:

I don't think I could ever ride with a group that seems
to never shut up and just ride.
JD

My aren't we feeling self-important?
I don't believe any of us gives a rat's ass whether you
could ride with us, but thanks anyways.

Oh, it's not about riding with you and your "woohoo" friends
because I can find my way wherever on my own.
It's about enjoying the outdoors without having to hear
a bunch of wannabanshees yelp like wounded
canines. The first time I ride with one of those is always
the last time. It's interesting how many people just might
find all of that noise intrusive and churlish.

JD

Your self-asorbed know-it-all diatribe leads me to believe that I'm
wasting my breath, but I'm going to respond in the interest of trail
awareness for everyone else.

The front side trails in Santa Barbara are NOT for shut-up-and-ride
types to blast through, especially silently. Do everyone a favor and
educate yourself a bit before you "find your way" to any of the
trails in the video. The predominantly-hiker locals do not care to be
startled by bikes hurriedly whipping around the many blind corners.
The more they hear in advance, the better.

If you insist on just blasting through non-stop like some racer-boy,
either sing as you ride or buy a cowbell for your bike. The Santa
Barbara Mountain Trail Volunteers will happily provide you with one
if you have trouble getting your own.

Woohoo.

Old October 29th 04, 09:48 PM
terminaut

"JD" smuggly wrote

The bright side to all of this is having a few well kept
local secrets and insanely remote high country rides that
would not provide enough oxygen for sea-level
dwellers to access, let alone muster up a whimper.

If you're implying anything by this, let me just say that I would put
good money on the fact that any of the guys riding with me in the
video would handily drop you on a trail of your choosing.

And... next time you're enjoying your ride on local trails in the
Clevelands (such as Holy Jim, Trabuco, Bell Ridge, etc.) these exact
same riders are the ones working to keep those trails opened and
maintained so you can have your "experience".

Old October 29th 04, 11:54 PM
GeeDubb

terminaut wrote:
"JD" smuggly wrote

The bright side to all of this is having a few well kept
local secrets and insanely remote high country rides that
would not provide enough oxygen for sea-level
dwellers to access, let alone muster up a whimper.

If you're implying anything by this, let me just say that I would put
good money on the fact that any of the guys riding with me in the
video would handily drop you on a trail of your choosing.

I'd be happy to take that bet. How much are you willing to lose?

Gary

Old October 30th 04, 02:07 AM
Stephen Baker

GeeDubb says:

If you're implying anything by this, let me just say that I would put
good money on the fact that any of the guys riding with me in the
video would handily drop you on a trail of your choosing.

I'd be happy to take that bet. How much are you willing to lose?

Dang! I knew I should have been following this thread. The fun stuff always
happens where yo least expect it...

Steve "where is Santa B anyway?"
Old October 30th 04, 02:50 AM
Slacker

Steve "where is Santa B anyway?"

Not sure if you were serious or not, but anyway for the uninitiated:

http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll...t=3D1&khst=3D=
1&locn=3Dsanta+barbara&ploc=3Dsanta+barbara&loid=3 D&fmap=3D1&rfrr=3D-265=
1

-- =

Slacker
Old October 30th 04, 03:19 AM
terminaut

"GeeDubb" wrote:

I'd be happy to take that bet. How much are you willing to

lose?

I'm not sure what to make of someone who would bet so blindly, but the
truth is that I don't believe any of my buddies could ever actually
interact with some holier-than-thou biking prophet on the internet to
prove anything. So I was trolling, I 'spose... but then again you
should know that these guys have won at Sea Otter as well as 24-hour
events.

Oh how I would gladly bet big money if they agreed to a serious
competition. As it is, they're more content just to laugh and woohoo
at Mr. Notorious.