Painting rims

Old November 9th 04, 10:08 AM
O. Simonsen

Default Painting rims

Hi all...

I have a pair of slightly used Mavic Reflex rims that i wamt to use i
the winter. They have a odd golden color and I would like to spray
paint them dark grey/black. But will it last?? I'm thinking of using
god quality car paint (like Motip) and prepare them with a god
cleaning before painting - but will it be enough??

Any advice??

O. Simonsen
Old November 9th 04, 11:00 AM

I'm thinking of using
god quality car paint (like Motip) and prepare them with a god
cleaning before painting - but will it be enough

If you pray for help, it should be.

(remove clothes to reply)
Old November 9th 04, 02:28 PM
jim beam

O. Simonsen wrote:
Hi all...

I have a pair of slightly used Mavic Reflex rims that i wamt to use i
the winter. They have a odd golden color and I would like to spray
paint them dark grey/black. But will it last?? I'm thinking of using
god quality car paint (like Motip) and prepare them with a god
cleaning before painting - but will it be enough??

Any advice??

O. Simonsen

you may have limited success, but generally, it's not considered viable.
the anodizing does not present a surface to which the paint can
reliably stick so even if you get it on there, it'll quickly chip &
flake. trying to remove the anodizing involves abrasion, and an
abrasive sufficiently aggressive to remove the anodizing will take with
it significant amounts of substrate - i don't recommend it.

Old November 9th 04, 09:42 PM
Kirk Van Deraa

O.-

I agree the painting won't work. If it's the 'odd golden color'
you object to, it is possible to make them just plain old silver
(i.e. bare AL) by removing the gold-colored anodizing with oven
cleaner.

K.

Old November 10th 04, 03:10 AM
jim beam

Kirk Van Deraa wrote:
O.-

I agree the painting won't work. If it's the 'odd golden color'
you object to, it is possible to make them just plain old silver
(i.e. bare AL) by removing the gold-colored anodizing with oven
cleaner.

please don't do that. stressed aluminum & highly reactive chemicals
like sodium hydroxide are not a good combination.