What's a cheaper helmet-mounted headlight?

Old March 31st 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson

Default What's a cheaper helmet-mounted headlight?

nash wrote:

All tolled an easy $20/30 with tax.

"All tolled", Gracie? Good one.

Bill "intentional...right?" S.

Old March 31st 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DougC

SMS wrote:

Yes, that's the problem with most of the el-cheapo LED lights. I always
laugh when I see these flashlights with a gazillion LEDs, since a single
1W Luxeon LED, properly focused, is far brighter.

The Princeton Tec EOS uses a 1W LED and comes with a helmet
mount and handlebar mount. It's $29.99 from Amazon, with free shipping,
$39.99 most other places, see
"http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000O6XE12/sanfrancisc0b-20"

Considering that a 1W Luxeon flashlight sells for $10, that's pretty
expensive, but you're paying for the mounting system.

I may do a home-built. A $12 CREE led on a cheapo flashlight head, run
off a $20 rechargeable battery pack. A cree run at ~1.5W would do just
fine for me.

All these expensive HID systems have 10W or 15W HID lamps, I don't need
that much light,,, and,,, I don't wanna pay their prices.

I'm still looking for a way to get two or three different power levels
for it, though.
~

Old April 1st 07, 06:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

DougC wrote:
SMS wrote:

Cateye says that their EL120 and EL410 can mount to a helmet.
"http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/341"

I didn't see any EL120 on the website.
I got a EL410 and it doesn't really attach very well, and it isn't
really bright enough anyway. It's only a 3-AAA light but the problem (I
think) is that it uses three LEDs with plastic lenses in front of them,
instead of using a single LED in a proper full reflector.