installing 3-speed hub

Old September 21st 08, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default installing 3-speed hub

I have an old raleigh roadster with 28-inch wheels. I want to put a
3 speed coaster brake on it. I bought a new 36-hole rim and a shimano
3-speed nexus hub with coaster brake. I just noticed though that the
nexus hub has the squared off axle only on the left side. The right
side of the axle is fully round and will not fit in the fork end of
the raleigh. Is there any way to make this work? I have tried
looking on ebay for an old sturmey archer awc hub but haven't been
able to find anything. Does anyone have any advice?
Old September 22nd 08, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sep 21, 12:08*pm, wrote:
I have an old raleigh roadster with 28-inch wheels. *I want to put a
3 speed coaster brake on it. *I bought a new 36-hole rim and a shimano
3-speed nexus hub with coaster brake. *I just noticed though that the
nexus hub has the squared off axle *only on the left side. *The right
side of the axle is fully round and will not fit in the fork end of
the raleigh. *Is there any way to make this work? *I have tried
looking on ebay for an old sturmey archer awc hub but haven't been
able to find anything. *Does anyone have any advice?

You could open the fork end with a file, it should
only take a millimetre or so.

File the bottom to preserve frame alignment.
Old October 15th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sep 21, 11:20*pm, jim beam wrote:
wrote:
On Sep 21, 12:08 pm, wrote:
I have an old raleigh roadster with 28-inch wheels. I want to put a
3 speed coaster brake on it. I bought a new 36-hole rim and a shimano
3-speed nexus hub with coaster brake. I just noticed though that the
nexus hub has the squared off axle only on the left side. The right
side of the axle is fully round and will not fit in the fork end of
the raleigh. Is there any way to make this work? I have tried
looking on ebay for an old sturmey archer awc hub but haven't been
able to find anything. Does anyone have any advice?

You could open the fork end with a file, it should
only take a millimetre or so.

File the bottom to preserve frame alignment.

if you think about it, that would only work if the axle were off center.
* if it's simply fatter, the fork end needs to be widened both top and
bottom.

Thanks for all the advice. I decided to just file the axle on the hub
to square it off. Worked perfectly!

Installing new hub thejdw Unicycling 11 February 25th 07 04:23 PM
Installing new hub thejdw Unicycling 0 February 24th 07 07:56 PM
Installing new hub ivan Unicycling 0 February 24th 07 07:53 PM
Installing new chain waxbytes Techniques 14 July 26th 06 02:05 PM
Installing a headset Pat General 3 March 7th 05 01:21 PM