Best states (west of great lakes) for cycling

Old March 10th 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Just A User

Default Best states (west of great lakes) for cycling

wrote:
Just A User wrote:

Well I am moving to get away from the over crowded feeling of the east
coast and to get away from the excessive humidity that is here in
Florida and a certain mold spore that is more prevelent in the southeast.

The Colorado Front Goathead Preserve
is plenty crowded, imo, but I'm just going
to throw this out there -- Fort Collins. Small-mid
university city, about an hour north of
Denver. If you want to go car free or at
least use your bike as your primary
transportation, the Fort would be very
hard to beat. It is incredibly easy to ride
a bike around that town. They have created
and continue to create a remarkable
infrastructure for transportational cycling.
The road riding in surrounding areas varies
from fantastic to ho-hum -- if recreational
cycling is your main thing you might consider
Boulder, which is the home base for many of
the great road rides in Colorado. Boulder is
expensive, and hard to take in many ways,
however. Fort Collins is more low-key.

Oh yeah -- Bring some REMA patchkits, and
follow the directions in the box.

Robert

Well the only city in CO thats on my list so far if Colorado Springs.
But my list is still evolving so some cities that are on there now are
going to go away, while others will probably be added, so those you
mentioned may yet make my list.

Ken
Old March 10th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 10:56:21 -0800, Dane Buson

Just A User wrote:

Yeah but that law is for those under 16 years of age, I am in my 30's.

And it's not like these laws are enforced anyway.

Correction: Those laws are enforced, simply capriciously. You know, if
you're doing something the police don't like but can't cite you for. Or
they don't like the look of you in general.

Perhaps an even better reason to campaign for their repeal.
Old March 10th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Just A User wrote:

Well the only city in CO thats on my list so far if Colorado Springs.

CS is my hometown, born and raised.
Beautiful setting. Good road riding, great
trail riding. Lots of solar radiation. Not
terribly expensive. Some would say there are
too many wacky right-wingers there. There are
also plenty of old hippies, witches
and Sons of Silence. The path system is
awful compared to the useful MUPs in
Denver. IMO the nice parts of town are
central and west; old CS is surrounded on
three sides by the worst sort of suburban
hell which is to be avoided at all costs.
Ghettoes in the suburbs, it surely is the
wave of the future.

Good luck, whatever you decide. And if
you decide to come to Colorado, welcome.

Robert

Old March 11th 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Veloise

Ken wrote:
I am giving very serious consideration to re-locating and this is
important to me. So the questions is for those that have lived in areas
west of the Great Lakes, which states provide the best areas for
cycling, I have already checked on the rails to trails site and found
that some of the areas I am considering have local trails, so how about
regular road riding?

What you got against the Great Lakes??

Michigan has a ten-cent bottle deposit law. Many of us resident riders
notice that flats are more prevalent in unenlightened commonwealths,
and it's fun to collect and cash them in near state lines.

HTH

--Karen D.
in Grand Rapids

Old March 11th 07, 05:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
greggery peccary

"Just A User" wrote in message
Roger Zoul wrote:
Just A User wrote:
:: I am giving very serious consideration to re-locating and this is
:: important to me. So the questions is for those that have lived in
:: areas west of the Great Lakes, which states provide the best areas
:: for cycling, I have already checked on the rails to trails site and
:: found that some of the areas I am considering have local trails, so
:: how about regular road riding?
::
:: Ken

Why so far away? SC & NC are great places for cycling. As is GA.

Well I am moving to get away from the over crowded feeling of the east
coast and to get away from the excessive humidity that is here in Florida
and a certain mold spore that is more prevelent in the southeast.

Ken

if you wanna get away from mold, i would count the NW out.

Old March 11th 07, 05:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
oilfreeandhappy

+1 on Colorado. The towns mentioned are great. But don't count out
Denver either. They have some great bike trails that extend all the
way through the city in a number directions. They continue to expand
their Light Rail as well.
----
Jim Gagnepain
http://home.comcast.net/~oil_free_and_happy/

Safe Cycling South West?! burt UK 6 November 20th 06 01:30 PM
Riding around Great Lakes, IL IT3 Mountain Biking 5 September 1st 05 10:04 PM
Cycling in the Lakes? Peewiglet UK 27 August 27th 05 09:36 AM
US Cycling hires Gary West Hamish Ferguson Racing 12 April 1st 05 04:12 AM
cycling the west highland way el gimpo UK 2 November 7th 03 11:03 AM