Interesting article, especially for the "made in the USA" folks

Old March 27th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Claire Petersky

Default Interesting article, especially for the "made in the USA" folks

I got a lot out of it:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadin...s/bikebiz.html

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Old March 27th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Mar 27, 10:59 am, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:
I got a lot out of it:http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadin...s/bikebiz.html

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Peterskyhttp://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
See the books I've set free at:http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

hm... I'm being denied. Anything adultish on slowtwitch.com? I buy
american when I can, and my collection shows that so I'm curious what
this article could say.

Old March 27th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Diablo Scott

wrote:
I got a lot out of it:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadin...s/bikebiz.html

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Peterskyhttp://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
See the books I've set free at:http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

hm... I'm being denied. Anything adultish on slowtwitch.com? I buy
american when I can, and my collection shows that so I'm curious what
this article could say.

Well, there's this sentence:
"If after reading it you think I've injected unneeded and gratuitous sex
be advised that, as they say in Hollywood, "It was necessary to move the
story along."
Old March 27th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Curtis L. Russell

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 10:43:38 -0700, Diablo Scott
wrote:

Well, there's this sentence:
"If after reading it you think I've injected unneeded and gratuitous sex
be advised that, as they say in Hollywood, "It was necessary to move the
story along."

They say it as if it were a bad thing. There are some movies that the
only redeeming feature was the inclusion of gratuitous sex.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old March 27th 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

I got a lot out of it:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadin...s/bikebiz.html

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

An older article (2002), and yet every person mentioned in the section about
Trek is still at the company, and the descriptions of how things work there
are spot-on. Thanks for the link!

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old March 28th 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Mike Jacoubowsky writes:

I got a lot out of it:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadin...s/bikebiz.html

An older article (2002), and yet every person mentioned in the
section about Trek is still at the company, and the descriptions of
how things work there are spot-on. Thanks for the link!

Scanning through the article I found it vague and glossy. For instance
the item about TREK and Rolf:

# I'll not get into the particulars of that, nor take sides. I write
# this just to show you how things can end up, and it happens with
# every company, big and small, at one point or another. Things went
# sour with Cervelo (several years ago) and a frame vendor. It
# happened with Trek and Rolf Diettrich. There are many examples I
# could cite. Sometimes relationships don't work out. Sometimes
# things end up in court. Generally when they do, both sides lose.

Rolf Dietrich, whose wheels TREK distributed, had patented paired
spoking with the same claims as Mr. R. S. Lovelace's 1890 patent. See
"King of the Road" by Andrew Ritchey. TREK discovered the sham and
canceled their royalties to Rolf, who then initiated legal action that
fell apart, as it should have, before it got to trial.

I think sweeping these cases under the same rug, leaves me with some
doubt about the article. I don't know the details of the other
clashes mentioned, but this one I know.

Jobst Brandt
Old March 29th 07, 01:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dr Kickstand

Good article. I think it can apply to the European bike industry also.

Tks

DrK

http://www.bikesthatfold.com - All about Folding Bikes!