Search for Commuting / Touring Shoes

Old March 31st 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
BobT[_2_]

Default Search for Commuting / Touring Shoes

I searching for a wide cycling shoe for commuting (mostly) and long distance
touring. My wide feet do better with wide shoes.

Currently, I'm using a wide Shimano road shoe while riding my road racing
bike and a wide Lake mountain bike shoe on my commuter. I don't like the
Lake shoe for commuting because it has a cumbersome combined lacing, large
flap, 3 strap velcro closure system. I also don't like it because is has a
very aggressive tread that makes it hard to but shoe covers over for when
it's wet and or cold. They also look weird to non-cyclists.

I am looking for a shoe for commuting / touring with these attributes:

1. Available in wide width
2. Looks somewhat like a "normal" athletic / running / walking shoe.
3. Relatively simple closure system - simple lace-up or just 1 or 2 velcro
straps
4. Non-aggressive tread similar to typical walking or running shoe, no
spikes
5. Comfortable for walking or hiking a bit.

I have searched extensively for such a shoe without success. Does anyone
have any suggestions?

BobT

Old March 31st 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
nash

For summer you need Lake sandals. Completely adjustable for those wide
feet.
Cannot do without 'em dude.

Old March 31st 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

"http://www.rei.com/product/748415"
Old March 31st 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
BobT[_2_]

"SMS" wrote in message
BobT wrote:

I have searched extensively for such a shoe without success. Does anyone
have any suggestions?

"http://www.rei.com/product/748415"

This is exactly the type of shoe I want. Unfortunately, they aren't
available in wide widths. I even tried on this shoe model but it squishes
by EEEE's.

Thanks,

BobT

Old April 1st 07, 05:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Robert M. Lewis

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-0...PD-touring-com
muter-shoes-black-AVAILABLE-END-OF-MARCH-2007-13352.htm

Old April 1st 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
BobT[_2_]

"Robert M. Lewis" wrote in
message news:C23493BE.32DA3%SPAMTHIScardiacathleteSPAMTHAT @hotmail.com...
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-0...2007-13352.htm

Looks like a nice shoe. Unfortunately, as best as I can tell, not available
in wide widths.

BobT

Old April 1st 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
rdclark

On Mar 31, 7:29 am, "BobT" wrote:
[...]

I think you may have to accept some compromises to get the width, but
I'll be interested to see if anyone comes up with anything.

I wear wide sizes too, and found that there was simply no substitute
for extensively trying on shoes. For example, five or six years ago I
found a pair of Specialized MTB shoes that were normal sized, but
actually fit me. And two or three years ago in a Nashbar clearance
sale there was a pair of Cannondale wide shoes that fit. Neither shoe
is made any longer, unfortunately.

I enthusiastically endorse the suggestion of sandals. I wear Shimanos
-- with socks if it's cool in the morning -- and their innate ability
to adjust to my feet makes them ideal. I even wear them, with heavy
wool socks and sock liners, inside winter booties in sloppy weather.

Lake and Sidi are the two manufacturers most often mentioned as making
cycling shoes in wide sizes. These, for example, from Lake:
http://www.lakecycling.com/ProductIn...roductid=MX101

Good luck

Old April 1st 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
nash

"rdclark" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 31, 7:29 am, "BobT" wrote:
[...]

R, I remember you saying that last year too.
I like the sloppy weather suggestion for next fall.

Old April 2nd 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Alan Hoyle

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 07:29:41 -0500, BobT wrote:
I searching for a wide cycling shoe for commuting (mostly) and long distance
touring. My wide feet do better with wide shoes.

Currently, I'm using a wide Shimano road shoe while riding my road
racing bike and a wide Lake mountain bike shoe on my commuter. I
don't like the Lake shoe for commuting because it has a cumbersome
combined lacing, large flap, 3 strap velcro closure system.

I have the same shoes (I have wide feet as well) and was annoyed by
this issues as well. I solved it by replacing the stock laces with a
pair of elastic shoe laces. While that wouldn't solve your other
complaints, it makes it a good deal easier since I only have to mess
with the velcro straps.

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.
Old April 2nd 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
nash

"Alan Hoyle" wrote in message
[...]

I ignore the laces on my Specialized MTB shoe. I also, just use the top
velcro, the one or two lower ones cut off the circulation after 10 minutes.
I have flat feet and poor circulation. Cannot even wear skates and biking
is a problem that way so in a way I need the wider option too.