Sidi shoe treatment

Old October 15th 08, 10:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default Sidi shoe treatment

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 06:15:09 GMT, "Jim F"
wrote:

I have never washed them.

Maybe that's the problem.
Old October 15th 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Penny

"Jim F" writes:

"John Forrest Tomlinson" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 19:48:19 -0500, "Jay" wrote:

wrote in message

he's probabally drying them with heat

Yes, I think so, too. When my shoes get very wet, which sometimes happens
in
the winter, I use a fan, and perhaps very mild heat. But my drying time is
~
8 hours, never fast-dry.

I use a boot dryer from a ski-related company - air that's very warm
but not hot. It takes hours to work on wet shoes.

And I just brush or wipe off the shoes, usually with just water but
sometime with soap. Have never had a problem with the lorica
cracking. The shoes get sloppy, esp in the heel counter, before that
happens.

They are about five years old. I never dry them with anything but room
temperature. I stuff them with newspapers. I have never washed them. I'm
liking raaman's suggestion to try hand soap and water. It rains here in
British Columbia's Lower Mainland beginning around now, and for the next six
months or so. I may have been overreaching slightly to say they are
cracking. Near the toe is darn dry, esp. on the inside of one shoe. If it
were leather I'd reach for something to soften it up with.

Peace love dove,

JF

How about, err, buying a new pair. Things get old. So is life. Buy a
pair of leather shoes and fill them with saddle soap.
Old October 15th 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

"Jim F" wrote in message

They are about five years old. I never dry them with anything but room
temperature. I stuff them with newspapers. I have never washed them.
I'm liking raaman's suggestion to try hand soap and water. It rains here
in British Columbia's Lower Mainland beginning around now, and for the
next six months or so. I may have been overreaching slightly to say they
are cracking. Near the toe is darn dry, esp. on the inside of one shoe.
If it were leather I'd reach for something to soften it up with.

Peace love dove,

JF

Five years, in those conditions, might be a reasonable lifetime. Sounds like
your shoes have had many wet/dry cycles over that 5-year period. Even with
slow drying, they won't last forever.

I never fuss over my Sidi Dom5 at all. I ride 5,000 miles yearly. Plus, I
need to walk a bit between legs of my daily commute. Very comfortable, and
quite stylish.

If they are bothering you, I would just buy another pair.

J.

Old October 16th 08, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 15, 6:51*pm, "Jay" wrote:
"Jim F" wrote in message

[...]

the op may not have that as a viable option at this time. the fact
that sidis last years and years speak well enough for their worth to
an owner- certainly, when I feel like changing my sidis for new ones I
do because I know they last longer than they're worn out excuse will
fly with my wife.
Old October 16th 08, 06:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 15, 10:17*pm, Tom Sherman
On Oct 14, 2:36 pm, wrote:
My previous post disappeared, reposting...

Why not apply a plastic or vinyl conditioner like Armor-All? *Lorica
is after all, a synthetic material.

that might make things worse, the lorica breathes, by sealing it you
might as well throw the shoes away

What about a beeswax based product such as Sno Seal® [1]?

[1] http://www.atsko.com/products/waterproofing/sno-seal.html.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.

why ? the shoes need some moisture to retain their suppleness, the
lorica expands when wet, put something on the outside and that will
result in an uneven expansion through the material- that could very
well result in ruining the shoes
Old October 17th 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Woland99

On Oct 11, 5:14 pm, "Jim F" wrote:
I have scoured the Sidi shoe website looking for info on what oil or other
treatment I can use on my shoes, but there's nothing. The manmade
leather-like "Lorica" material is starting to crack on mine. I did find the
following, but no info about a liquid I might apply to rejuvenate the
material. Any suggestions?

Shoe and Lorica Maintenancehttp://www.sidiusa.com/tech/shoe_lorica.html

WHAT IS LORICA?
Lorica is high-technology material based on a remarkable combination of
ultra-fine micro-fibres. This mesh of micro-fibres is then treated with
special resins to create a microporous structure which, like the collagen in
natural leather, gives Lorica a high degree of durability, softness and
breathability.

CLEANING AND MAINTENANCE
Read these instructions carefully to keep your SIDI cycling footwear in
excellent condition.

DO'S

Clean with a damp sponge.
Store in a cool, dry and well-ventilated place.
Fill with newspaper to absorb any dampness and to keep the shape.
Store in a cool and dry place.
If the shoes are not damp or wet after use, simply clean them with a soft
brush.
If the shoes are equipped with levers or other precision closures, clean
them carefully and regularly apply a silicone-based or similar lubricant.
Regularly check and tighten all screws on your shoes, especially the
Heelpads, SRS Sole Replacement System and the SDS Sole Dual System.
DON'TS

Do not wash in washing machine or spray clean.
Do not use strong washing powder or abrasive brushes.
When drying, never place near or next to heaters, fire or other heating (the
use of detergents and rapid drying may cause excessive hardening or cracks
in the materials).
YOUR SIDI BICYCLE SHOES ARE A RESULT OF QUALITY CRAFTSMANSHIP. PLEASE FOLLOW
THESE RECOMMENDATIONS CAREFULLY IN ORDER TO MAINTAIN THE INTEGRITY OF YOUR
SHOES.

Does it mean putting mink oil on them is a waste of time?