29x1.9" mud tires?

Old October 15th 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default 29x1.9" mud tires?

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 22:56:35 GMT, Ryan Cousineau
wrote:

Okay, this post isn't entirely meant as a chance to brag about the new
bike, but let's get it over with...

http://wiredcola.com/content/danger-...presents-cheat

(Yes, that's right: Carl has Fogel Labs, while I work out of Danger
Labs. The dangerous part was taking these pictures in the kitchen
without my wife noticing a clear violation of the
no-bikes-in-the-kitchen rule.)

Anyways, that is a flat-bar "cyclocross" bike expressly designed for
muddy conditions (disc brakes, Alfine 8-speed gearhub, Bianchi Rita 29er
hardtail singlespeed frame with loads of wheel clearance).

What I'm looking for now is tires to suit the job: something that will
let me deal with mud fast. My current theory is that something like a
29x1.9 tire with a mud-tread would be great.

Any suggestions, or differing opinions? I could buy a pair of Hutchinson
700C 35mm mud tires cheaply. The current stuff is 32mm CX tires.

Dear Ryan,

An email from a lady who wishes to remain anonymous asks if 30 minutes
at 350F is right for baking 29x1.9" mud tires found in her kitchen and
whether the tires should be punctured first to prevent explosions.

Any hints?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old October 15th 08, 10:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Baldwin

Ryan writes:

Having ridden this bike around a bunch today, it feels
really good. The bike just does everything I wanted it
to.

That seems to be a trait with bikes that are rider built

You could race a tandem in the KissCross series here in Michigan.

www.kisscross.com

Hey, they literally race for beer!

Best Regards & Thanks for show'in off your bike, you've done good.

Mike Baldwin

Old October 15th 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Oct 15, 12:23*pm, " wrote:
Nice Bike. *I like! *I thought Discs were banned from cross. *Then
again, I don't race cross, so why would I know?

Legal so long as it is not a UCI sanctioned elite race. That is not a
problem for me because I gave up my career as a UCI pro cyclocross
racer -- which occurred shortly after giving up my career as nuclear
sub captain, F1 driver and International Man of Mystery. -- Jay
Beattie.
Old October 16th 08, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
Jay Beattie wrote:

On Oct 15, 12:23*pm, " wrote:
Nice Bike. *I like! *I thought Discs were banned from cross. *Then
again, I don't race cross, so why would I know?

Legal so long as it is not a UCI sanctioned elite race. That is not a
problem for me because I gave up my career as a UCI pro cyclocross
racer -- which occurred shortly after giving up my career as nuclear
sub captain, F1 driver and International Man of Mystery. -- Jay
Beattie.

Jay is more or less onto the issue.

In our provincial series, UCI rules are enforced in "A" races, but in
the "B" (hello...) and "C" categories mountain bikes are allowed.

Now, when they allowed mountain bikes, I think they meant to increase
the number of potential participants in the sport, not encourage
lunatics to build rigid disc-brake bikes with flat bars. Thus I refer to
this as my bicycle for cheating at cyclocross.

Old October 16th 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
" wrote:

Nice Bike. I like! I thought Discs were banned from cross. Then
again, I don't race cross, so why would I know?

They're banned from UCI-sanctioned 'cross races. Locally, MTBs
(including, ahem, whatever my bike is) are allowed in lower-category
races, and a few guys race CX bikes with discs, too.

Is 1.9 as wide as you can get away with? I'm using a cheapo Kenda 1.9
on the rear of my hardtail, with the thought that it'd bite through
the real soft stuff and hopefully down to some sort of traction. It
grips well on rocks and in mud, I've been very happy with it. It's a
real soft compound tire, which I needed for traction on rock here in
the granite state - but as such it wears fast. If this sounds like
something you'd be interested in I'll check the model and see if it's
available in 700c. If you're looking for something that'd last
longer, I won't bother. On the bright side, it was so inexpensive you
can afford to replace them as they wear.

I'm not sure if I'd have clearance for more than a 2.0, more or less. I
need to do some testing.

Because of how I'd be using this bike, I only really care about
mucky-conditions traction. Because it's a racing bike, wear isn't a
consideration.

The best tires I've ridden on the mud to date are the Kenda Nevegal
29x2.2's on my 29er. I'm afraid that they wouldn't fit in your
application, however, and even if they did the 37lbs they weight may
throw you off.

Er...apparently the Kenda Klaw 1.9 is well regarded as a mud tire.

Old October 16th 08, 02:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 15, 5:59*pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

In our provincial series, UCI rules are enforced in "A" races, but in
the "B" (hello...) and "C" categories mountain bikes are allowed.

Now, when they allowed mountain bikes, I think they meant to increase
the number of potential participants in the sport, not encourage
lunatics to build rigid disc-brake bikes with flat bars. Thus I refer to
this as my bicycle for cheating at cyclocross.

No, it's your bike for cheating at cyclocross because
it looks like a singlespeed, but isn't.

Ben
You can't really cheat at cyclocross without
ducking under the tape.
Old October 16th 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
" wrote:

On Oct 15, 5:59*pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

In our provincial series, UCI rules are enforced in "A" races, but in
the "B" (hello...) and "C" categories mountain bikes are allowed.

Now, when they allowed mountain bikes, I think they meant to increase
the number of potential participants in the sport, not encourage
lunatics to build rigid disc-brake bikes with flat bars. Thus I refer to
this as my bicycle for cheating at cyclocross.

No, it's your bike for cheating at cyclocross because
it looks like a singlespeed, but isn't.

I'd never thought of that! Hide the grip-shifter's gear indicator, and I
could cheat my way into the singlespeed cyclocross world championships!

Ben
You can't really cheat at cyclocross without
ducking under the tape.

The commissaires are starting to look askance at my starting tactics and
enforce the one-foot-on-the-pedals rule. The reason is that I've been
doing running starts in some races. I am not making this up.

Hey, if you win the singlespeed CX world championships, and then later
they find out you cheated, do they make you get the tattoo removed?

Old October 16th 08, 04:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 01:00:13 GMT, Ryan Cousineau
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Another email from my anonymous correspondent states that she cannot
think of a good recipe for 29x1.9" mud tires and asks if she should
try to adapt a delightful recipe for liver, fava beans, and a nice
chianti that she happens to have handy.

Since she dislikes liver, she proposes to substitute something that
she calls Canadian prairie oysters, "'cause-I-know where to get 'em
the next time they're in my kitchen."

I'm a teetotaller--what do you think about the chianti?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old October 16th 08, 05:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 15, 7:30*pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
" wrote:

No, it's your bike for cheating at cyclocross because
it looks like a singlespeed, but isn't.

I'd never thought of that! Hide the grip-shifter's gear indicator, and I
could cheat my way into the singlespeed cyclocross world championships!

Aw, I just figured you'd put on one of those Rasta
hats, get a clip-on lip ring, and cheat by pretending
to be a singlespeed shredder for cool points and
cross-dressing cyclocross groupies. In Norcal,
in non-UCI races the actual singlespeed category
raced with the A's, so sneaking into that race
would be a mixed blessing.

Ben
You can't really cheat at cyclocross without
ducking under the tape.

The commissaires are starting to look askance at my starting tactics and
enforce the one-foot-on-the-pedals rule. The reason is that I've been
doing running starts in some races. I am not making this up.

Hey, if you win the singlespeed CX world championships, and then later
they find out you cheated, do they make you get the tattoo removed?

There's a one-foot-on-the-pedal rule? I did not
know that. I suppose the commissaires might
worry that you'll kick someone while mounting
the bike in the scrum of the start pack.

There was a Surf City CX course in Fort Ord, CA
that started with an enormous run-up, so it was
a running start.

If you cheat to win Singlespeed Worlds (it's an MTB
race, not CX), I think you should get two tattoos.
Sometimes it's brands, rather than tattoos. I rode with
somebody who had both, IIRC.

Ben