29x1.9" mud tires?

Old October 16th 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default 29x1.9" mud tires?

On Oct 15, 9:27*pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
Nice Bike. *I like! *I thought Discs were banned from cross. *Then
again, I don't race cross, so why would I know?

They're banned from UCI-sanctioned 'cross races. Locally, MTBs
(including, ahem, whatever my bike is) are allowed in lower-category
races, and a few guys race CX bikes with discs, too.

Is 1.9 as wide as you can get away with? *I'm using a cheapo Kenda 1.9
on the rear of my hardtail, with the thought that it'd bite through
the real soft stuff and hopefully down to some sort of traction. *It
grips well on rocks and in mud, I've been very happy with it. *It's a
real soft compound tire, which I needed for traction on rock here in
the granite state - but as such it wears fast. *If this sounds like
something you'd be interested in I'll check the model and see if it's
available in 700c. *If you're looking for something that'd last
longer, I won't bother. *On the bright side, it was so inexpensive you
can afford to replace them as they wear.

I'm not sure if I'd have clearance for more than a 2.0, more or less. I
need to do some testing.

Because of how I'd be using this bike, I only really care about
mucky-conditions traction. Because it's a racing bike, wear isn't a
consideration.

The best tires I've ridden on the mud to date are the Kenda Nevegal
29x2.2's on my 29er. *I'm afraid that they wouldn't fit in your
application, however, and even if they did the 37lbs they weight may
throw you off.

Er...apparently the Kenda Klaw 1.9 is well regarded as a mud tire.

--
Ryan Cousineau /

Where I got it in my head that the tire I've been loving on my
hardtail is a Kenda, I don't know. It's actually a Hutchinson Air
Light Mosquito. Available in 1.85 & 2.0, but unfortunately only in
26" diameter as far as I can tell. Great, great gripping tire when
new. Wears fast, and if you ride it on the road really, really fast.
Of course, and under $20 each on sale this isn't a big deal. The fact
that they don't seem to be available in 700c, however, may be a big
deal - especially in your 700c application.

In the future, please refrain from telling me cyclocross races allow
MTBs. I already knew this in the back of my mind (although still
thought discs were banned), but have that bit of info locked into a
vault that I try really hard not to access. I don't particuarly like
riding in the mud, and I really don't like running, and I really,
really don't like running in bike shoes. That said, I expect I'd
absolutely hate a cross race. That's probably why I've never entered
one. Why I have this nagging urge to enter one I don't understand,
but my V brakes & SPDs seem to be the only thing keeping me on the
side of the fence where I don't have to run through the mud with my
bike on my shoulder.
Old October 16th 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
wrote:

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 01:00:13 GMT, Ryan Cousineau
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 22:56:35 GMT, Ryan Cousineau
wrote:

http://wiredcola.com/content/danger-...presents-cheat

(Yes, that's right: Carl has Fogel Labs, while I work out of Danger
Labs. The dangerous part was taking these pictures in the kitchen
without my wife noticing a clear violation of the
no-bikes-in-the-kitchen rule.)

Dear Ryan,

An email from a lady who wishes to remain anonymous asks if 30 minutes
at 350F is right for baking 29x1.9" mud tires found in her kitchen and
whether the tires should be punctured first to prevent explosions.

Any hints?

Tell her nothing!

Dear Ryan,

Another email from my anonymous correspondent states that she cannot
think of a good recipe for 29x1.9" mud tires and asks if she should
try to adapt a delightful recipe for liver, fava beans, and a nice
chianti that she happens to have handy.

Since she dislikes liver, she proposes to substitute something that
she calls Canadian prairie oysters, "'cause-I-know where to get 'em
the next time they're in my kitchen."

I'm a teetotaller--what do you think about the chianti?

I'm beginning to get relieved. The liver detail is right, and she does
like fava beans, but my anonymous bride strongly prefers white wine.

Note to self: keep real life and bike life separated,

Old October 16th 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
" wrote:

On Oct 15, 7:30*pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
" wrote:

No, it's your bike for cheating at cyclocross because
it looks like a singlespeed, but isn't.

I'd never thought of that! Hide the grip-shifter's gear indicator, and I
could cheat my way into the singlespeed cyclocross world championships!

Aw, I just figured you'd put on one of those Rasta
hats, get a clip-on lip ring, and cheat by pretending
to be a singlespeed shredder for cool points and
cross-dressing cyclocross groupies. In Norcal,
in non-UCI races the actual singlespeed category
raced with the A's, so sneaking into that race
would be a mixed blessing.

Ben
You can't really cheat at cyclocross without
ducking under the tape.

The commissaires are starting to look askance at my starting tactics and
enforce the one-foot-on-the-pedals rule. The reason is that I've been
doing running starts in some races. I am not making this up.

Hey, if you win the singlespeed CX world championships, and then later
they find out you cheated, do they make you get the tattoo removed?

There's a one-foot-on-the-pedal rule? I did not
know that. I suppose the commissaires might
worry that you'll kick someone while mounting
the bike in the scrum of the start pack.

I'm 99% sure the nominal purpose of the one-foot rule is to prevent
clipped-in trackstand starts, same as in most road races. I think
they're just using it on me because I've started doing something which
is, quite frankly, weird.

There was a Surf City CX course in Fort Ord, CA
that started with an enormous run-up, so it was
a running start.

Twice I've been in CX races that used a Le Mans-style run-to-the-bikes
start. In one case, it was about a 400m run down a dirt trail.

If you cheat to win Singlespeed Worlds (it's an MTB
race, not CX), I think you should get two tattoos.
Sometimes it's brands, rather than tattoos. I rode with
somebody who had both, IIRC.

My mistake: the prize for winning the Singlespeed Cyclocross World
Championship is a speedo/bikini with the rainbow stripes:

http://velonews.com/article/13665
http://sscxwc.com/

"We can't say world championships"

So I think I should sign up for this race, use the cheater bike, and
wear a DOPERS SUCK jersey.

Race goal: have organizers tell me I'm making a travesty of the sport.

Old October 16th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,

" wrote:
[...]

Cyclocross has a stronger drinking culture than any other cycling event,
at least among the participants (six-day race spectators clearly have
everyone beat, but the racers are comparatively straightedge).

The fun factor in CX is nearly inexplicable but utterly undeniable.

Old October 16th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Oct 16, 9:55*am, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
[...]

See http://app.obra.org/teams/2891 and http://tinyurl.com/4b39ec. I
stopped racing a long while ago but still go to the occaisional cross
race and see these guys -- always funny -- you say "beer" and they
waive a fist back cheering "beer." They have a cool retro jersey this
year and not the white t-shirt. The weird thing about PDX is that
everyone races cross. It's the new softball league. -- Jay Beattie.
Old October 16th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 16, 12:55*pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
[...]

"In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."- Hide quoted text -

You're not helping matters at all.
Old October 17th 08, 05:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dave

wrote:
On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 01:00:13 GMT, Ryan Cousineau
wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Does she have red hair that looks preposterous and fake? Has she been
known to wear a mask and transport herself on something that looks
remotely like a Segway? Did she mention starlings?

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu
Old October 17th 08, 08:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Anthony DeLorenzo

On Oct 14, 3:56*pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
Okay, this post isn't entirely meant as a chance to brag about the new
bike, but let's get it over with...

http://wiredcola.com/content/danger-...presents-cheat

Ryan,

A question about the Alfine hub. I am currently setting one up on my
Pugsley, and I need to use seat stay cable routing as well. How did
you manage to rotate the cassette joint / arm thingy (or whatever
Shimano calls it)? Right now mine is pointing forward along the chain
stay.

Great looking bike. Looks like a lot of fun.

Regards,
Anthony
Old October 18th 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
Anthony DeLorenzo wrote:

On Oct 14, 3:56*pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
Okay, this post isn't entirely meant as a chance to brag about the new
bike, but let's get it over with...

http://wiredcola.com/content/danger-...presents-cheat

Ryan,

A question about the Alfine hub. I am currently setting one up on my
Pugsley, and I need to use seat stay cable routing as well. How did
you manage to rotate the cassette joint / arm thingy (or whatever
Shimano calls it)? Right now mine is pointing forward along the chain
stay.

Shimano has a whole bunch of anti-turn washers designed for various
angles of dropout:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/s...xus.html#parts

For a chainstay routing, you just want the washer pair that makes the
cassette joint point up about 45 degrees from its normal location.

I'm such a nice guy that I went out to check: I used the 8L and 8R
washers, and my Bianchi has the same rear-facing (track style) dropouts
as your Pugsley. On my bike, that left the cassette joint pointing
almost straight up. That works fine because I wanted to get the cable up
onto the top of the seat stay (and thus onto the top of the top tube)
but aesthetically it might be nicer with the joint pointing between the
seat and chain stays. I don't know which that would be.

There can be chain-clearance issues with some routings, so be mindful of
that. Otherwise, it's pretty much impossible to go wrong. Aesthetic
issues aside, the hub should shift just fine no matter what the position
of the cassette joint. The biggest trick is figuring out which washers
to use.

Great looking bike. Looks like a lot of fun.

It's an interesting bike, and certainly fun. From a versatility
standpoint, the 26er fork (steep, short, but here holding a 700c wheel)
may have been a mistake, as a longer, more raked-out fork would have
made it less tricky on steep descents. But that is a complaint that
comes about because I'm descending some pretty technical trails, and on
a rigid bike to boot.

Fast fork aside, the bike just does things well: the brakes don't care
about the weather, the gearhub gives minimal trouble (though if I wasn't
so cheap, I'd buy the trigger shifter instead of the grip shifter).

Old October 18th 08, 07:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Anthony DeLorenzo

On Oct 17, 4:04*pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

For a chainstay routing, you just want the washer pair that makes the
cassette joint point up about 45 degrees from its normal location.

I'm such a nice guy that I went out to check: I used the 8L and 8R
washers, and my Bianchi has the same rear-facing (track style) dropouts
as your Pugsley. On my bike, that left the cassette joint pointing
almost straight up. That works fine because I wanted to get the cable up
onto the top of the seat stay (and thus onto the top of the top tube)
but aesthetically it might be nicer with the joint pointing between the
seat and chain stays. I don't know which that would be.

Ah, crap. I bought the wrong washers, it would appear. I have the
silver/white ones that are spec'd for track ends, but nobody caught on
to the seatstay cable routing issue. That means I need to return four
sets of them, as I bought spares for our two bikes.

Now that I know this, I can see that this other fellow has the blue/
green washers on his Alfine-equipped Pugsley:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29561187@N08/2785454019/

Snowbike season started today, so maybe I'l just have to suck it up
and use a different cable routing.

Thanks for the help!