Cinelli leather bar tape

Old October 16th 08, 02:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

Default Cinelli leather bar tape

On Oct 15, 10:44Â*am, Woland99 wrote:
On Oct 15, 11:32 am, landotter wrote:

On Oct 15, 10:24 am, Lou Holtman wrote:

Woland99 wrote:
http://www.cinelli.it/scripts/access...©=EN&IdAcc=265
I never tried leather bar tape.
Is it just sth nice to look at or is it practical and durable?

No, it feels awful when wet.

Lou

butbutbutbutbut,

"a leather with an exotic scent"

Mmmm, knockwurst!

LOL - I missed the scent part. I merely look for sth durable -
maybe I grip handlebars too hard but I put Cinelli cork tape
on about 2 months ago an now it is redy to be replaced.
Strange about the wet part - Brooks also makes leather tape:http://tinyurl.com/3p6z9o
and one would think they would know better (with all the rain
in England). I am in Texas so rain is not a big problem.

Texas gets lots of rain in certain areas. From central to east texas
it gets very wet. you must be from the west.
Old October 16th 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Oct 15, 9:14Â*pm, "Carl Sundquist" wrote:
"Hank" wrote in message

On Oct 15, 11:46 am, Woland99 wrote:

On Oct 15, 1:35 pm, landotter wrote:

On Oct 15, 1:10 pm, Woland99 wrote:

Woland99 wrote:
http://www.cinelli.it/scripts/access...©=EN&IdAcc=265
I never tried leather bar tape.
Is it just sth nice to look at or is it practical and
durable?

No, it feels awful when wet.

Lou

butbutbutbutbut,

"a leather with an exotic scent"

Mmmm, knockwurst!

LOL - I missed the scent part. I merely look for sth durable -
maybe I grip handlebars too hard but I put Cinelli cork tape
on about 2 months ago an now it is redy to be replaced.
Strange about the wet part - Brooks also makes leather
tape:http://tinyurl.com/3p6z9o
and one would think they would know better (with all the rain
in England). I am in Texas so rain is not a big problem.

Get ready to pay out yer nose for it. Price is over $100. Or you
could
get some classy Elkhide over at Velo-Orange for only $28 that will
last a long time and shed water better as it's not wrapped, but sewn
on:

http://velo-orange.com/hacoandta.html

Hmmmmm - I think I saw Brooks bar tape here in town for $50.
I have not decided yet but I may go with Cinelli gel one -
maybe it will last longer if installed by sbdy with some
experience. Thanks for the elk link - nice stuff may try it
next time.

There's always the option of cloth Tressostar over existing cork--I
like mine over closed cell foam--but if you're not experienced with
it, it's a lot trickier than the more flexible tapes to wrap. Cloth is
very durable, btw. Cheap to boot.

Thanks Otter - I am going to good LBS this afternoon -
will talk with them about the options. Do you buy from
Velo Orange often? Are they reliable?

I've ordered a few times from them. Good people.

I put the elkhide on my touring bike. It was several hours work, but
it looks and feels great. Not particularly cushy, though, so if I ever
put it on another bike, I'd put a layer of Fizik Bar Gel underneath.
---------------------

What's it like to replace cable housing that's routed underneath the
stitched covering? Also, if you put a gel padding underneath, would the
stitched ends/sides still touch?

If you run cables along the handlebar, is there enough hide to wrap
over cables?
Old October 16th 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_2_]

wrote:

snip

If you run cables along the handlebar, is there enough hide to wrap
over cables?

To answer *two* questions for the price of one

Yes it is available in the UK

http://www.freshtripe.co.uk/Freshtri...er%20Bits.html

and 2nd, I emailed them wrt to STIs and they said the cable would fit
under no problems.
Old October 16th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 16, 8:52Â*am, " wrote:
On Oct 15, 10:32Â*am, landotter wrote:

On Oct 15, 10:24Â*am, Lou Holtman wrote:

Woland99 wrote:
http://www.cinelli.it/scripts/access...©=EN&IdAcc=265
I never tried leather bar tape.
Is it just sth nice to look at or is it practical and durable?

No, it feels awful when wet.

Lou

butbutbutbutbut,

"a leather with an exotic scent"

Mmmm, knockwurst!

yeah, when you get hungry towards the third or fourth hour of a ride,
you'll start eating the handlebar.

Goes great with Kraut Pwr Gels!
Old October 16th 08, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Woland99

Woland99 wrote:
http://www.cinelli.it/scripts/access...©=EN&IdAcc=265
I never tried leather bar tape.
Is it just sth nice to look at or is it practical and durable?

No, it feels awful when wet.

Lou

butbutbutbutbut,

"a leather with an exotic scent"

Mmmm, knockwurst!

yeah, when you get hungry towards the third or fourth hour of a ride,
you'll start eating the handlebar.

Goes great with Kraut Pwr Gels!

Hmmm.... I have seen pickle-juice drinks - perhaps it is
time for bratwurst und sauerkraut power bars. Hasta la vista -
baby Jesus!
Und I am in zentral Texas - Austin to be precise. Yes it rains
here but there is always spin class at YMCA if you cannot ride
outdoors.
Old October 16th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

Woland99 wrote:
http://www.cinelli.it/scripts/access...©=EN&IdAcc=265
I never tried leather bar tape.
Is it just sth nice to look at or is it practical and durable?

No, it feels awful when wet.

Lou

butbutbutbutbut,

"a leather with an exotic scent"

Mmmm, knockwurst!

yeah, when you get hungry towards the third or fourth hour of a ride,
you'll start eating the handlebar.

Goes great with Kraut Pwr Gels!

Hmmm.... I have seen pickle-juice drinks - perhaps it is
time for bratwurst und sauerkraut power bars. Hasta la vista -
baby Jesus!
Und I am in zentral Texas - Austin to be precise. Yes it rains
here but there is always spin class at YMCA if you cannot ride
outdoors.

I'm in the wes texas land of El Paso.
It doesn't rain much here so you can ride year around and not get wet.
Old October 16th 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 15, 8:26 pm, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article
,

Woland99 wrote:
http://www.cinelli.it/scripts/access...=EN&IdAcc=265I
never tried leather bar tape. Is it just sth nice to look at or is it
practical and durable?

Leather bar tape was sold back in the 1970s and I remember trying some
then. It was OK in dry weather and got a bit slimy when wet. Looked
great, though. Jeez, who made that stuff anyway? Cool Gear?

Cateye made the stuff. Backed with a thin strip of foam , perforated
and embossed.

I bought a 70's Belleri handlebar that appeared never to have been
ridden. It was wrapped with this. Looked likef what some folks wrapped
the steering wheels of their Brit and Italian sportscars with. But,
then they put on driving gloves. The finish on the tape is hard.
I've saved it for someone else. I like the feel and appearance of
orange-yellow carcasses of selected prime racing tires, wrapped
outside in.

The old Belleri bar, BTW is very nice, with the slight up, back, and
out curves that make it a rando bar.

Harry Travis
Old October 17th 08, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RicodJour

On Oct 15, 10:27Â*pm, Ozark Bicycle
wrote:
On Oct 15, 7:26 pm, Tim McNamara wrote:
Â*Woland99 wrote:

http://www.cinelli.it/scripts/access...=EN&IdAcc=265I
never tried leather bar tape. Is it just sth nice to look at or is it
practical and durable?

Leather bar tape was sold back in the 1970s and I remember trying some
then. Â*It was OK in dry weather and got a bit slimy when wet. Â*Looked
great, though. Â*Jeez, who made that stuff anyway? Â*Cool Gear?

Not leather tape, but a leather bar cover was sold by Rhode Gear under
the name "Handlebar Hide". I used it for about 8 years, until it was
discontinued. I've also used the Velo-Orange version for the past two
years on one bike. IMO, the VO leather is superior, but the Rhode Gear
scheme for stiching the leather on was better thought out (both easier
and more forgiving of changes in brake levers, lever position, etc.)

I'm not sure if the stuff I put on my oldie was by Rhode Gear, but it
sounds right. The lacing took some time and beat up on my hands from
all of the pulling trying to get the lacing tight, but once it was on,
it stayed on. It's still on and hasn't budged - 30 years later. It
has some battle scars from spills, but the worst wear was from rubbing
up on something for a couple thousand miles while in a moving van.
Beat up as it is, it's the one thing on that bike that people comment
on more than anything else.

Old October 17th 08, 12:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article
,

Woland99 wrote:
http://www.cinelli.it/scripts/access...=EN&IdAcc=265I
never tried leather bar tape. Is it just sth nice to look at or
is it practical and durable?

Leather bar tape was sold back in the 1970s and I remember trying
some then. It was OK in dry weather and got a bit slimy when wet.
Looked great, though. Jeez, who made that stuff anyway? Cool
Gear?

Cateye made the stuff. Backed with a thin strip of foam , perforated
and embossed.

Yeah, that sounds right. It looked like the leather used on tennis
rackets of the time.
Old October 17th 08, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Woland99

Default Proofide on Brooks leather bar tape

What do you guys think? Use small amount of Proofide
and let it be? My concern would that if I put it some
on it it will stretch out and have to be reapplied -
but if I do not then it will crack if it will get wet
and dry out (mechanic put it very tight).