Equestrian helmets as bicycle helmets?

Old December 21st 09, 06:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
thirty-six

Default Equestrian helmets as bicycle helmets?

On 20 Dec, 20:47, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Dec 20, 1:57*pm, " wrote:

On Dec 20, 11:27*am, landotter wrote:

If you're offended by the look of bike helmets, don't wear one and
avoid falling down. Thousands of Danes do this daily.

Unfortunately, it's hard to avoid getting hit.

???

Not if you're riding with any competence at all! How often do you
really get hit?

And do you really think a helmet certified for only a 14mph impact is
going to make a big difference?

if it reduces or prevents concussion, the rider may be able to take
evasive action from following vehicles which he may not otherwise be
able to so had he not been wearing a foam cap. I dont believe that
typical simple falls, or collisions causing a rider to fall sideways
will result in a head impact with concussion. These are the
unexpected dumpings a rider may have little chance to avoid. You
must ride into something to roll forward and bang your head with
sufficient force to cause concussion. FFront on collisions are
generally avoidable using steering or brakes. And eyes. Having good
vision is a better aid to safety, get your eyes checked by an
optician, money better spent than on a foam cap with the magic veil of
protection.
Old December 24th 09, 04:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

thirty-six wrote:

if it reduces or prevents concussion, the rider may be able to take
evasive action from following vehicles which he may not otherwise be
able to so had he not been wearing a foam cap. I dont believe that
typical simple falls, or collisions causing a rider to fall sideways
will result in a head impact with concussion.

You may not believe it, but in fact it is often the case.

And of course to call a helmet a "foam cap" demonstrates a lack of
knowledge of the dynamics at work in a head impact.

Old December 26th 09, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
thirty-six

On 24 Dec, 16:21, SMS wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
if it reduces or prevents concussion, the rider may be able to take
evasive action from following vehicles which he may not otherwise be
able to so had he not been wearing a foam cap. *I dont believe that
typical simple falls, or collisions causing a rider to fall sideways
will result in a head impact with concussion.

You may not believe it, but in fact it is often the case.

And of course to call a helmet a "foam cap" demonstrates a lack of
knowledge of the dynamics at work in a head impact.

In my own experience I have probably had more tha 100 falls to the
side and not one resulted in any evidence of concusion although I had
bumped my head perhaps on three occasions with such a fall. Bruising,
grazing and shock predominate. Other riders seem more susceptible to
fracture. Coming off over the bars usually results in a head impact.
I avoid riding imto object which may make me come over the handlebars
so much so that I would rather risk cetain grazing in taking such
evasive action.

If statistics were to 'show' a greater tendency to impact the head
with concussion then that is evidence that the rider was unable to
control the bike through lack of learning or improper fit or
function. There is only a miniscule amount of influence a foam cap
can have on reducing concussion or more severe cranial injury during
everyday cycling. Rider education and servicing play a much, much
gerater role.
Old December 26th 09, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

thirty-six aka Trevor Jeffrey wrote:

In my own experience I have probably had more tha 100 falls to the
side and not one resulted in any evidence of concusion[...]

Other than posts to "wreck.bicycles".

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Old December 26th 09, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
thirty-six

On 26 Dec, 00:48, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
On 24 Dec, 16:21, SMS wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
[...]

From a guy (?) who's fallen more than 100 times?

Pass.

ROTFL

including as a child and I've always pushed to the limits of cornering
speeds. So Ive come off to the left and to the right in the dry and
in the wet and on gravel on each machine I have owned on average a
little more than once, that's how I know how to corner at high speed,
I fell occasionally. The use of good patterned tubular tyres coupled
to 'soft' wheels means it is extreme;ly difficult for me to lose
cornering grip now. I'd have to unlearn an awful lot.
Old December 26th 09, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

thirty-six wrote:

In my own experience

Your own experience is not statistically significant.
Old December 26th 09, 08:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson[_5_]

SMS wrote:
thirty-six wrote:

In my own experience

Your own experience is not statistically significant.

Not to mention it's redundant.

BS

Old December 27th 09, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
thirty-six

On 26 Dec, 17:08, SMS wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
In my own experience

Your own experience is not statistically significant.

Well if other people are regularly banging their heads when slipping
out on corners, there is something amiss. I learnt to avoid head
impact as much as possible because it hurts. So when I rode a
tricycle and fell off and banged my head, I tried not to do it again.
When I began bicycling, despite going sideways, I managed to tuck my
head out of the way. It saves the pain, dont you know?

Evidence that bicycle helmets deteriorate with age? [email protected] Techniques 49 May 24th 09 07:19 AM
Scientific American does bicycle helmets Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_1292_] UK 2 October 10th 07 05:26 PM
Large Bicycle Helmets Brian Millson UK 1 August 15th 05 07:33 PM
Helmets helmets helmets and weird heads Tamyka Bell Australia 3 November 30th 04 11:25 AM
Large bicycle helmets Michael Australia 6 October 18th 03 11:25 AM