South Florida Mountain Bike Video

Old April 22nd 04, 02:45 PM
Dan Volker

Default South Florida Mountain Bike Video

This trail is our Fort Pierce trail. It is not quite as technical as Quiet
Waters, but is considerably more fun, and still plenty technical. I have no
doubt that this particular trail is good for single speeders, as it has no
long straights. I am probably just begging for more abuse, in putting this
up, but here goes:

Streaming DSL version http://www.gbtg.net/trail/fort-pierce-dsl.asx
Online now and ready to watch..should have about an 8 second buffer prior to
play. You DO need the free Windows Media Player version 9 to play any of
these... http://www.windowsmedia.com/download if you don't have it.

Downloadable 500kps version http://www.gbtg.net/trail/fort-pierce1.wmv
if you right click and hit "save target as". Should be finished uploading to
server by 10:30am EST

Downloadable 100kps version for 56k modem users to download
http://www.gbtg.net/trail/fort-pierce-slow-dl.wmv should be finished
uploading to server by 10am EST.

This is my first try at helmet cam videos, so have a little slack ready for
at least this ;-)

If the video plays dark, you can hit VIEW, Enhancements, and then VIDEO
SETTINGS on the media player, and you can pull the brightness up where you
want it.

Also, if you watch either the DSL stream or the 500 kps download, you can
play them at full screen. The 100kps version you can probably zoom to
double, but I have not looked at it yet.
The whole video is 28 minutes long--its most of one lap, going pretty fast.
I had to pull the sound track way down for the ambient noise, or all you
would have heard was my locomotive volume breathing :-)

Dan V

Old April 22nd 04, 04:05 PM
S o r n i

Dan Volker wrote:
This trail is our Fort Pierce trail. It is not quite as technical as
Quiet Waters, but is considerably more fun, and still plenty
technical. I have no doubt that this particular trail is good for
single speeders, as it has no long straights. I am probably just
begging for more abuse, in putting this up, but here goes: {snip}

OK, I watched 2 1/2 minutes of it; couldn't take the tune much longer!

Good job on the vid for first try; please note there's a reason why most of
'em are 3-6 minutes long (not 28!).

Looks like a fun place to ride, but not "technical" in any sense of the
word. (Ruts, sharp rocks, ledges, etc.)

Dude's got a dorky outfit on (did Miles travel East recently?!?).

A strong single speeder would HAUL ASS on that trail.

I'm sure others will have further pertinent comments forthwithly

Bill "hope I followed all directions on how to view correctly" S.

Old April 22nd 04, 04:17 PM
TM

"Dan Volker" wrote in message
. ..
This trail is our Fort Pierce trail. It is not quite as technical as Quiet
Waters, but is considerably more fun, and still plenty technical. I have

no
doubt that this particular trail is good for single speeders, as it has no
long straights. I am probably just begging for more abuse

Yes, I'm afraid you've teed yourself up...

Streaming DSL version http://www.gbtg.net/trail/fort-pierce-dsl.asx

snip

This is my first try at helmet cam videos, so have a little slack ready

for
at least this ;-)

Your video skills are awesome.

I had to pull the sound track way down for the ambient noise, or all you
would have heard was my locomotive volume breathing :-)

Dan V

I'll give you credit for being willing to drive 12 hrs and posting this
video, but the whole 'knock your teeth out at the bar' attitude was
pathetic.

The simple fact is that people are doing things on bikes that you can't
imagine at speeds you can't imagine. They used to call it 'seeing the
elephant' because try and describe an elephant to someone who hasn't seen
one. They're confused and think you're joking. Once they see one they
go... Oh! Now I understand.

Feel free to post when you see the elephant.

Old April 22nd 04, 04:39 PM
p e t e f a g e r l i n

"Dan Volker" wrote in message
. ..
This trail is our Fort Pierce trail. It is not quite as technical as Quiet
Waters, but is considerably more fun, and still plenty technical. I have

no
doubt that this particular trail is good for single speeders, as it has no
long straights. I am probably just begging for more abuse, in putting

this
up, but here goes:

Even being intimately familiar with the trail-flattening effects of video, I
saw nothing in that video that would remotely qualify as "plenty techincal."

When coupled with the slow pace, I ahve to assume that you're joking. If
you're not, well I rest my case about your cluewbieness.

Old April 22nd 04, 04:58 PM
Penny S

p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:
"Dan Volker" wrote in message
. ..
This trail is our Fort Pierce trail. It is not quite as technical as
Quiet Waters, but is considerably more fun, and still plenty
technical. I have no doubt that this particular trail is good for
single speeders, as it has no long straights. I am probably just
begging for more abuse, in putting this up, but here goes:

Even being intimately familiar with the trail-flattening effects of
video, I saw nothing in that video that would remotely qualify as
"plenty techincal."

When coupled with the slow pace, I ahve to assume that you're joking.
If you're not, well I rest my case about your cluewbieness.

so it's not worth the wait for my slow dsl download of 100MB of video?

Penny

Old April 22nd 04, 05:04 PM
G.T.

"Penny S" wrote in message
p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:
"Dan Volker" wrote in message
. ..
This trail is our Fort Pierce trail. It is not quite as technical as
Quiet Waters, but is considerably more fun, and still plenty
technical. I have no doubt that this particular trail is good for
single speeders, as it has no long straights. I am probably just
begging for more abuse, in putting this up, but here goes:

Even being intimately familiar with the trail-flattening effects of
video, I saw nothing in that video that would remotely qualify as
"plenty techincal."

When coupled with the slow pace, I ahve to assume that you're joking.
If you're not, well I rest my case about your cluewbieness.

so it's not worth the wait for my slow dsl download of 100MB of video?

I really, REALLY doubt it. I sure ain't going to bother just so I can laugh
at the ridiculousness of it all.

Greg

Old April 22nd 04, 05:15 PM
Ride-A-Lot

Dan Volker wrote:
[...]

I'm on a T-3 and the dl is going to take 4+ hours?!?! How about chopping it
into smaller bite-sized morsels of 30 - 40 MB each? I'm really curious
about the terrain in marshy Florida. I was in Orlando a few weeks ago and
the only thing I found that resembled a hill had ants coming out of it.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Old April 22nd 04, 05:18 PM
Craig Brossman

Dan Volker wrote:
This trail is our Fort Pierce trail.
Dan V

Thanks Dan,
It is always interesting for me to see the other areas that folks get to
ride. I don't get to travel very far and ride different environments,
but then again I don't really have to. The four corner's states provide
a awful lot of diversity, though I can't recall much that looks like that.
Fun is fun, keep having it.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
(remove ".nospam" to reply)

Old April 22nd 04, 05:31 PM
Shawn Curry

Dan Volker wrote:
This trail is our Fort Pierce trail. It is not quite as technical as Quiet
Waters, but is considerably more fun, and still plenty technical. I have no
doubt that this particular trail is good for single speeders, as it has no
long straights. I am probably just begging for more abuse, in putting this
up, but here goes:

Streaming DSL version http://www.gbtg.net/trail/fort-pierce-dsl.asx
Online now and ready to watch..should have about an 8 second buffer prior to
play. You DO need the free Windows Media Player version 9 to play any of
these... http://www.windowsmedia.com/download if you don't have it.

Looks like a nice place to ride. Real different from Salida.
Technical? I don't ride the really "technical" stuff around here, and
what I ride makes that look pretty easy. Fun sure, definitely worth
riding, but not a bike great bike handling challenge.
TM mentioned "seeing the elephant". I think the elephant would show up
at Ft. Pierce for a snack and that's about it. :-)

Shawn
Old April 22nd 04, 05:45 PM
S o r n i

Penny S wrote:

so it's not worth the wait for my slow dsl download of 100MB of video?

The download site didn't work for me anyway (prolly not all loaded yet at
the time), but the streaming link worked fine.

After about two minutes I'd had enough.

Bill "still think Dan should just create a new persona and try starting
over" S.