Big toe might be broke

Old August 22nd 03, 02:28 AM
gerblefranklin

Default Big toe might be broke

I ride on slightly smaller than fist sized gravel and very loose dust,
and i can tell you that landing like a sack of bricks on gravel is
painful. If you have a choice between rolling out of a fall and falling
so that you're in a push up position, you should roll because pointy
rocks to the palms hurt. It's all about rider preferance, though. As I
begin riding harder and harder terrain, I'm beginning to stop before I
ride a section where I think I'll fall and plan how I'll ride the
section and how I'll fall. I much prefer to run out of an UPD than roll,
but sometimes it's safer to roll. I'm starting to decide that the best
idea though is to handle terrain and falls on a case by case basis, and
not even attempt to make a blanketing statement as to how one should
fall, because every fall's different.

My slightly more than 2 cents.

--
gerblefranklin

Old August 22nd 03, 02:50 AM
onefiftyfour

When I don't get to run out of a UPD, I never get the option of rolling
or flopping. It just happens very quickly.

-Eric

--
onefiftyfour - Eric
onefiftyfour's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3495

Old August 22nd 03, 03:59 AM
unibabyguy

I've fallen badly once on that trail, but I just bruised my wrist and
skinned my elbow. I saw this very rocky section ahead, and started to
walk it because it looked too hard for me. It had a lot of rocks that
would catch your pedals and send you flying. Then I asked myself, would
Scott W. or Eric ride this section? Of course they would! So I went
back to the start of the section, got back on the Uni and started
riding.

My tire got wedged into some rocks and it stopped dead just as my
forward pedal was at the 11 o'clock position while I was pushing hard on
it. I went down on my hands, elbows, and knees. I closed my mouth in
anticipation of hitting my teeth on the rocks.

I've been lucky to not have any other bad falls there. I often come
away from that trail bruised and exhausted. It's probably one of the
best Muni trails in Austin.

--
unibabyguy - Hunter-riding Municyclist
unibabyguy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/683

Old August 23rd 03, 12:07 AM
S_Wallis

unibabyguy wrote:
* would Scott W. or Eric ride this section? *

I don't think that is a good plan, Doug. Eric and I each have an
unenviable list of injuries. Better just use your own judgement.

Scott

--
S_Wallis - MUni motivated

"I am always doing that which I can not do,
in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso
S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

Old August 28th 03, 04:03 AM
jugglerobaby

i normaly dont wear protection. on the rides i have been doing with
eric and Aj but since this has all happened i have come to think that
protection is good cuz waching other pple go rilling down a ricky
imbankment just makes me cring. I have yet to break any thing thoe i
have scraped my hands a few times. Brused my thumb in uni hocky and one
time managed to dismount backwards but the hil i was on was to dusty so
i lost my footing and landed on a nice sharp rock that staped perty deep
in to my palm. At which point the was promtly filled with dirt and
gravel from the continued sliding down the hill. Had the doc check that
one she said with deep woonds that you need ot keep the woond open so as
to heal from the inside to push out all the crap.

Lastly if you ride off rode make shure you have your tetnus(spelling)
shot cuz if you cut your self on rocks and dirt thatis where that stuff
lives

Nate

--
jugglerobaby - Coker OffRoader

Thoes who walk in the Realm of Insanity Know no limits to the Realm of
Reality.
jugglerobaby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4219

Old August 28th 03, 05:04 PM
onefiftyfour

Klaas Bil wrote:
*... I do have toe armour as well
because I usually ride with safety shoes which have a steel insert at
the toe end.
*

I saw some steel toed shoes yesterday that I was considering. They were
not as heavy as I was thinking they would be. They make steel-toed
shoes that look like running shoes. I like to have my riding shoes with
soles that are flat and treadless. That's why I was using bmx shoes. I
wonder if someone makes steel-toed bmx shoes.

-Eric