It ain't broken

Old June 19th 06, 05:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default It ain't broken

I’ve been spending some quality time with the frame for the fixie and a
handful of files and I’m at the point of thinking about smearing it
with stop putty, so I’ve been totting up the list of the parts for it.
It’s starting to look a trifle pricey, but the hell with it. Proposed
loadout is:

*Miche Primato track hubs, 32 hole, high flange
*165mm Sugino RD single chainring crankset
*Probably a Miche primato BB to suit the 66mm wide BB shell on the
frame
*1” threaded Campag Chorus headset (there’s a Record one that calls to
me, but I can’t quite justify the extra cost)
*Not sure about the rims yet, but I want brushed alloy deep V-section.
I’m not interested in the aero benefits or the strength, I just think
they look funky. I seem to recall that there’s some noicish Ritchey
rims that fit the bill.
*Oh, and a B-17 Brooks to replace the one that got pinched. Abbotsford
Cycles have a nice one in green.

Anyone got any comments, especially with regards to the rims? I’m going
to get the bulk of it through aebike.com unless someone can point me
somewhere cheaper. Also, what’s the point at which customs start
slapping you with duties..$200? $400?

--
Resound

Old June 19th 06, 06:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Resound wrote:
Also, what's the point at which customs start
slapping you with duties..$200? $400?

$1000 these days... and the buggers are shaking me upside down right
now for a frame I hoped might come in under the radar. I think that
whole bikes are duty free, but separate frames and parts are 5% (check
the Customs website - the Tariff Classification is 8714.91.00 for
frames and 8714.99.00 for parts, if you are ever looking). They then
collect 10% GST on everything, including whole bikes, duty and the
freight, if the parcel value is over $1000.

donga

Old June 19th 06, 06:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Donga Wrote:
Resound wrote:
Also, what's the point at which customs start
slapping you with duties..$200? $400?

$1000 these days... and the buggers are shaking me upside down right
now for a frame I hoped might come in under the radar. I think that
whole bikes are duty free, but separate frames and parts are 5% (check
the Customs website - the Tariff Classification is 8714.91.00 for
frames and 8714.99.00 for parts, if you are ever looking). They then
collect 10% GST on everything, including whole bikes, duty and the
freight, if the parcel value is over $1000.

donga

Excellent. Even if I ordered everything at once it wouldn't be that
much.

--
Resound

Old June 19th 06, 06:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Resound Wrote:

*Oh, and a B-17 Brooks to replace the one that got pinched. Abbotsford
Cycles have a nice one in green.

Oooo you should of seen the saddle Peter had at the swap meet on
Saturday. Think it was a limited edition, with beautiful detailed
carving. Yum-o

--
cfsmtb

Old June 19th 06, 06:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle

I get all my Brooks saddles at Settle Cycles UK - even with postage
which is low anyway, nobody is even close to their price, especially
after VAT is taken off the web site price. e.g. Brooks B17 honey, cost
me about $62+$14 shipping. Beat that! Even local second hand ones off
ebay are dearer.

--
jur

Old June 19th 06, 06:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle

jur Wrote:
I get all my Brooks saddles at Settle Cycles UK - even with postage
which is low anyway, nobody is even close to their price, especially
after VAT is taken off the web site price. e.g. Brooks B17 honey, cost
me about $62+$14 shipping. Beat that! Even local second hand ones off
ebay are dearer.

US$51.99

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=SA1260

--
Resound

Old June 19th 06, 08:22 AM posted to aus.bicycle

cfsmtb Wrote:
Oooo you should of seen the saddle Peter had at the swap meet on
Saturday. Think it was a limited edition, with beautiful detailed
carving. Yum-o

I've seen it; he has it in the glass case in the shop. It'd suit the
Lawrencia a treat

--
Resound

Old June 19th 06, 08:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"Resound" wrote in message

*Miche Primato track hubs, 32 hole, high flange

Have you considered some Suzue Promax SB's instead? IMHO they're nicer hubs,
and cooler looking! I have got both sets built into track wheels if you'd
like comparitive photos... and you can flip flop fixed/free....

*165mm Sugino RD single chainring crankset

This has a JIS taper

*Probably a Miche primato BB to suit the 66mm wide BB shell on the
frame

This has an ISO taper. That would not be good for the cranks... They
aren't nice BB's anyway. Perhaps get Miche Track Cranks? (cheaper from the
UK than the US)

*1" threaded Campag Chorus headset (there's a Record one that calls to
me, but I can't quite justify the extra cost)

Hey I've got an excellent condition Ultegra one for sale on eBay at the
moment.... 1" threaded ;-) Cheaper than Chorus and lower stack height!?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....tem=7250335453
(shameless plug)

*Not sure about the rims yet, but I want brushed alloy deep V-section.
I'm not interested in the aero benefits or the strength, I just think
they look funky. I seem to recall that there's some noicish Ritchey
rims that fit the bill.

You may find with high-flange hubs combined with deep rims the spoke angle
gets a bit tight! (and looks ****e) - depends on the rim I guess.

*Oh, and a B-17 Brooks to replace the one that got pinched. Abbotsford
Cycles have a nice one in green.

Anyone got any comments, especially with regards to the rims?

You running a brake on this thing? Or is this a track machine? What about
bars and stem? 3/32" or 1/8" running gear?
Tell us more :-)

Gemm

Old June 19th 06, 10:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Gemma_k Wrote:
"Resound" wrote in
message

[...]

I'm open to suggestions. I was looking at the Miche hubs because
they're not very much more than the Formula/Iro hubs I was eyeing off
and looked much nicer. Pictures of the Suzues and pricing would be
perused with interest. I didn't know about JIS/ISO taper differences on
cranks before, now I do. Thank you for saving me from a mistake As
far as the brakes go, I have a pair of 105 calipers which were
originally slated for the OCR3 but are short reach unlike the Tektro
rubbish that's currently on it. There may be a new fork in the OCR's
future so that both bikes can run a 105 caliper on the front. The bars
are going to be some cute narrow North Bend type bars in alloy that I
spotted at Abbotsford Cycles the other day, inverted and with bar-tape
rather than grips. And maybe streamer bar plugs if I'm feeling silly on
the day. Chain and cog size will be determined by crankset. The Suginos
are 3/16. Proper track cranks would be nice but are an order of
magnitude pricier and therefore not likely. If you know where I can get
a passable set for less than AU$150 I'm so there. This is actually
already pushing my budget somewhat as I'm saving to buy a house, but
there is a degree of negotiation possible.

--
Resound

Old June 19th 06, 11:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Resound wrote:
snip
Chain and cog size will be determined by crankset. The Suginos
are 3/16.

You mean 3/32?

Proper track cranks would be nice but are an order of
magnitude pricier and therefore not likely. If you know where I can get
a passable set for less than AU$150 I'm so there.

You're not wrong. DA track cranks with a chainring are ~$500 retail and
Sugino 75s aren't a huge amount cheaper.

This is actually
already pushing my budget somewhat as I'm saving to buy a house, but
there is a degree of negotiation possible.

But you can't ride a house!

Also, I'd go with Gemma's Promax suggestion, only because they're better
hubs IMO and they look cool with the disco stickers on the side.

--
Nick

broken bones JUNGAUNI Unicycling 6 March 26th 06 05:35 PM
Laff at me Steve Racing 10 October 14th 05 03:02 AM
Broken KH Fusion Saddle Allready?! munimanpete Unicycling 14 July 13th 05 03:47 AM
Riding wheel with broken spokes, rebuilding same Michael Rasmussen Techniques 22 December 23rd 04 04:11 PM
Anyone dealt with a broken fibula? Dora Smith General 20 July 30th 04 01:00 AM