How long do your splined cranks/hub last?

Old February 25th 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
madmattunipro

Default How long do your splined cranks/hub last?

skrobo wrote:
done up to 14 foot drops (into sand) I did it 2x.

Nice, we hit up a sand pit on the edge of town in the summer, though I
don't know if it's quite 14 feet deep. Probably done at least 10 or 12.

Anyways, Yes, I am replacing the washers, my shipment of parts from
Bedford came yesterday, but I was so busy with my carbon fiber seat
base that I didn't quite get to the cranks.

From what I've heard, it sounds like my best guess of simple wear and
tear is probably correct. However I won't be replacing the cranks for a
while, so I guess I'll just have to live with it. I'll let you guys
know what the washers do.

--
madmattunipro

Unicycle For Christ

www.bedfordunicycles.ca

http://www.norco.com
madmattunipro's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10763

Old February 25th 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
madmattunipro

I just put my new spacers on and I am totally amazed. As far as I can
tell just by wiggling them, they are almost as solid as they were new.
I haven't ridden it yet, but I will tonight.

Old February 25th 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

madmattunipro wrote:
I just put my new spacers on and I am totally amazed. As far as I can
tell just by wiggling them, they are almost as solid as they were new.
I haven't ridden it yet, but I will tonight.

The spacers are important in keeping the Profile style cranks tight.
When they deform (squish) too much you'll get slop.

When I first got the Profile cranks I would be careful to only use the
minimum amount of spacers as I could. That was to minimize the
Q-factor. Now that I realize how important the spacers are for
preventing slop I add an additional 1/16" or 1/8" spacer on each side
for good measure. The minimal Q-factor isn't that important. It's
better to have cranks that stay tight with minimal slop.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

Old February 25th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

skrobo wrote:
my DX cranks do the exact same thing. they have done it for a while and
its getting worse and worse, mine is probably 5mm. it SUCKS. I'm almost
ready to just smear some plastic epoxy alll over it and just say screw
it to maintaining them.

I think the problem is actually that the splines stretch (jsut a tiny
bit), because I know that I used to have a little trouble putting them
on, but now, its REALLY easy
they also fit on a QU-AX hub (perfectly), but they aren't supposed to.

I have had it for almost a year now
done up to 14 foot drops (into sand) I did it 2x.

I've seen some DX cranks that were tightened so much that the crank is
actually deformed around the area of the pinch bolt. That's not good.
That is likely to cause slop. The pinch bolt should not be tightened
so tight that the metal around the area of the pinch bolt deforms.

Anti-seize on the splines and the pinch bolt threads will make it
easier to get the cranks snug and tight without going ape and
overtightening them.

I don't think epoxy would be a good way to try and salvage your cranks.
I don't think it would hold up to the pressure that is generated
between the spline surfaces. It might end up turning to dust in the
high pressure areas.

You might try some brass or aluminum shim material. If that doesn't
work it would be removable.

If you know a place that can do plating you can get the splined end of
the crank plated with nickel or something similar. It can be expensive
though to get a part plated.

Old February 25th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jenneration

What's a hub?

--
Jenneration