question about spoke tension

Old February 25th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
FatBoy-Dave

Default question about spoke tension

That recently happened to a Friend of mine. First He tightened the
spokes. Then he rode for about 15 minutes and did a couple of rolling
hops and the first nipple pulled straight through. I don't know
anything about tension but I am leaving mine alone.

--
FatBoy-Dave

http://www.municycle.com/

Dave
FatBoy-Dave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11161

Old February 26th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
U-Turn

kington99 wrote:
U-turn, so you have any more info online about stress relieving spokes?
I've been using sheldon brown's tutorial to build a 36" wheel but
didn't really understand his comments about stress relieving.

I developed my own approach using a combination of Sheldon's, Jobst
Brandt's, and Gerd Schraner's approaches.

--
U-Turn

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton

Old February 26th 07, 02:49 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Brian MacKenzie

U-Turn wrote:
I developed my own approach using a combination of Sheldon's, Jobst
Brandt's, and Gerd Schraner's approaches.

Sounds like you need to make a book

--
Brian MacKenzie

DVDs now available from www.LBMmultimedia.com :
'NAUCC 2006' (http://tinyurl.com/lrvln)
'Training Wheel Not Required'
(http://www.LBMmultimedia.com/videos/TWNR.wmv)
Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

Old February 26th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chrashing

I'm still an armature to truing the wheel, I rebuilt a few 36" wheels a
year ago, and since it all worked out, I sorta enjoyed the process.
This is how I remember it,

It was cool the way truing the wheel works with adjusting the spokes
and relieving the tension. It's no use to adjust the spokes alone.
Have the hub securely captured by the axle, after adjusting the spokes,
grab hold of the rim, each hand ~180 degrees from the other, and give
it a push-pull. You'll hear the spokes creak as the stored tension of
adjusted spoke is released and distributed across the wheel. You'll
notice the tension balancing out as you then move your hand position's
by ~90 degrees and push-pull again. Between each step of tightening
the spokes, or adjusting to true, this flexing of things is necessary.

As things tighten up, you should feel the wheel stiffen up with each
push-pulls. I said push-pull, but it can really be more of twisting
action, so your not pushing over your stand. Your just trying to move
things a bit to break the friction, not break the wheel.

--
Chrashing

Regards,
Ken ... a recreational unicyclist... Please wear a helmet!
Chrashing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7501

spoke tension question # 165,345,06..... steve Techniques 10 December 1st 06 03:46 AM
Spoke tension [email protected] Techniques 112 November 23rd 06 07:45 PM
spoke tension grawistkafn Unicycling 11 October 7th 06 11:24 PM
Spoke tension question Gary Robinson Techniques 55 January 10th 06 11:24 PM
spoke gauge/spoke tension relation.... [email protected] Techniques 12 January 23rd 05 12:30 AM