Surly "Long Haul Trucker" factory bike, worth $950?

Old May 18th 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JesseHattabaugh

Default Surly "Long Haul Trucker" factory bike, worth $950?

Well I've started touring, and after a few hundred miles under my old
fix'er up, my aching body is compelling me to find a bike that fits
better and has a better granny gear. This time around I'd like to
start with a frame that I can be proud of. I just took a 60cm Surly
Long Haul Trucker out for a spin. This is a complete bike made by
Surly. It was decently equipped with the exception of off-brand
levers, seat, seat post, handlebars, steering neck and brake
calipers. It feels much different than my old wanna-be racer frame.
Very long and loose as opposed to tight and light. It steers like it's
namesake.

For just under a grand it's not a bad bike at all, but... it's just
under a grand. What do you guys think? What would you change about it
if it were your touring bike?

Specs can be found he http://www.surlybikes.com/longhaul.html

Old May 18th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 18, 5:15 pm, JesseHattabaugh
wrote:
Well I've started touring, and after a few hundred miles under my old
fix'er up, my aching body is compelling me to find a bike that fits
better and has a better granny gear. This time around I'd like to
start with a frame that I can be proud of. I just took a 60cm Surly
Long Haul Trucker out for a spin. This is a complete bike made by
Surly. It was decently equipped with the exception of off-brand
levers, seat, seat post, handlebars, steering neck and brake
calipers. It feels much different than my old wanna-be racer frame.
Very long and loose as opposed to tight and light. It steers like it's
namesake.

For just under a grand it's not a bad bike at all, but... it's just
under a grand. What do you guys think? What would you change about it
if it were your touring bike?

Specs can be found hehttp://www.surlybikes.com/longhaul.html

http://www.surlybikes.com/lht_comp.html

TBH, it's specced pretty much how I would build something up. Good
price. Only thing I'm shocked at are the WTB tires. They are the
cheesiest junk I've ever had the misfortune to use. But that's a
nitpick. Replace them with something that's not going to flat every
other ride, like Schwalbe Marathons or IRC Tandems. The pump peg and
spoke holder are nice classy touches to a complete touring rig. Surly
did well with this one.

Old May 19th 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

welded in china now?

Old May 19th 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
R Brickston

On 18 May 2007 15:15:29 -0700, JesseHattabaugh
wrote:

Well I've started touring, and after a few hundred miles under my old
fix'er up, my aching body is compelling me to find a bike that fits
better and has a better granny gear. This time around I'd like to
start with a frame that I can be proud of. I just took a 60cm Surly
Long Haul Trucker out for a spin. This is a complete bike made by
Surly. It was decently equipped with the exception of off-brand
levers, seat, seat post, handlebars, steering neck and brake
calipers. It feels much different than my old wanna-be racer frame.
Very long and loose as opposed to tight and light. It steers like it's
namesake.

For just under a grand it's not a bad bike at all, but... it's just
under a grand. What do you guys think? What would you change about it
if it were your touring bike?

Specs can be found he http://www.surlybikes.com/longhaul.html

You can buy the frameset and build your own with decent used parts.
Old May 19th 07, 02:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

wrote:
[...]

If you've got them. If you sourced all the parts that are specced, on
sale, you might be able to build it for the same price. That's if you
built your own wheels.

It's still specced better than a Trek, with a list price that's 2-300
less.

Old May 19th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On May 18, 8:13 pm, landotter wrote:
On May 18, 6:31 pm, " wrote:

welded in china now?

My last bike was. Surprised me when I brought it home and saw the
sticker on the BB. Can't complain about the quality, but I'd like to
know that it came from a factory with decent labor practices and
environmental records. The welds and powder coat are very nice at the
price point.

LO- you're last surley LHT was welded in china?

Old May 19th 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 18, 8:39 pm, " wrote:

LO- you're last surley LHT was welded in china?

Nope, my Redline fixie. It's not fancy, but everything's nice and
neat. I thought Surly was still sourcing from Taiwan?

Old May 19th 07, 06:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JeffWills

On May 18, 3:31 pm, " wrote:
welded in china now?

When were they not?

Jeff

Old May 19th 07, 06:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
. com,

wrote:
[...]

For all the gears it has they are rather widely spaced, and too
many duplicates to achieve some kind of half step gearing. I found
that kind of spacing a burden on a utility bicycle. On long rides
I definitely prefer a set of closer gears in the cruising range.
Is the 34/26 called for? I am not a tourer.

26 36 48
11 63.8 88.4 117.8
13 54.0 74.8 99.7
15 46.8 64.8 86.4
17 41.3 57.2 76.2
20 35.1 48.6 64.8
23 30.5 42.3 56.3
26 27.0 37.4 49.8
30 23.4 32.4 43.2
33 20.6 28.6 38.1

Seems like a 12-27 cassette would server very well.

26 36 48
12 58.5 81.0 108.0
13 54.0 74.8 99.7
14 50.1 69.4 92.6
15 46.8 64.8 86.4
17 41.3 57.2 76.2
19 36.9 51.2 68.2
21 33.4 46.3 61.7
24 29.2 40.5 54.0
27 26.0 36.0 48.0

--
Michael Press
Old May 19th 07, 08:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

JeffWills wrote:

wrote:

welded in china now?

When were they not?

Surlies were, to the best of my knowledge, made in ROC. If what Gene
is suggesting is that they are now made in PROC, well, I think that
would come along with some attendant quality issues. I have only my
previous experience of bikes and components made in those two places
to guide me.

Chalo