Extrapolating FS to Rigid?

Old August 1st 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Extrapolating FS to Rigid?

I've one of those statistical outlier bodies.

After a series of off-the-shelf bikes that almost fit, I got a
full custom form a major high-end maker.

Cost enough to feed the average African village for at least a
month. If my wife ever finds out how much I spend for a
freaking bicycle, she'll have me certified and committed.

But it's been a beeeeg success. I've been loving this thing for
dunno-how-many years. It's hard to believe how much diff an
inch here, a quarter inch there... makes until one needs and has
tried same.

Not wanting my survivors to have *too* much fun, I think I'd like
to get a 'cross bike made - full rigid.

Not for competition, just as a do-it-all bike.

I *could* go to a cheaper maker. I need high end like I need
another hole in the head. But I really do want fit. In the
context of years of riding a frame for enjoyment, a few hundred
bucks either way doesn't seem like a lot to me.

My instinct is to call the makers of my FS and just say "You know
the FS you made me? Well pull up the specs and make me a 'cross
bike."

That, as opposed to going through the whole
measurement/questionnaire thing again.

Anybody have thoughts on the advisability of this?
--
PeteCresswell
Old August 1st 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message

My instinct is to call the makers of my FS and just say "You know
the FS you made me? Well pull up the specs and make me a 'cross
bike."

That, as opposed to going through the whole
measurement/questionnaire thing again.

Anybody have thoughts on the advisability of this?

Most FS bike makers haven't a clue how to design a proper cyclocross bike.

Go to http://www.gunnarbikes.com/ and get a custom bike.

Old August 1st 08, 01:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

Waterford TIG at $1300 or a Gunnar Custom at $1100 are reasonable
alternates IMHO.

My official statement is, "Every day is a good day to buy a new bike".
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old August 1st 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

I *could* go to a cheaper maker. I need high end like I need
another hole in the head. But I really do want fit. In the
context of years of riding a frame for enjoyment, a few hundred
bucks either way doesn't seem like a lot to me.

Go for it Pete!

Boy I don't know what's going on with me wither but I
have MAJOR bike lust this month!!

like you say..... if you "amortize" the extra cost over
years of fun and enjoyment its not so bad!
Old August 2nd 08, 12:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per A Muzi:

Waterford TIG at $1300 or a Gunnar Custom at $1100 are reasonable
alternates IMHO.

My official statement is, "Every day is a good day to buy a new bike".

One last question.

Can a 'cross bike be designed so it *could* be used with a sus
fork?

I plan on a conventional rigid fork. But I've got two other
bikes with the same 120-mm sus fork and, just on GPs, it seems
like a good idea to have the forks interchangeable if there's
little or no cost to it.
--
PeteCresswell

WTB: Rigid MTB Fork [email protected] Marketplace 0 August 14th 06 06:41 PM
FS: Rigid forks Joseph Mitschiener Marketplace 1 July 18th 05 04:11 PM
RR: SS Rigid (supershort) Phil, Squid-in-Training Mountain Biking 11 March 22nd 05 04:30 AM
Rigid Forks? Doki Mountain Biking 7 August 12th 04 05:48 PM
To rigid or not to rigid? Richard Goodman UK 11 May 26th 04 09:48 AM