Frequently Asked Questions about Mountain Biking -- Reader's Digest version

Old July 24th 06, 07:24 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Chris Foster

Default Frequently Asked Questions about Mountain Biking -- Reader's Digest version

Mike Vandeman wrote in
:

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 16:34:28 -0700, "Jeff Strickland"
wrote:

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:19:26 -0700, "Jeff Strickland"
wrote:

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
m...
Frequently Asked Questions about Mountain Biking
Michael Vandeman, Ph.D.
March 5, 2004

1. Why do people mountain bike?

Because they can, and it's fun.

Only for the risk-addicted. It's not fun for anyone around them.

You didn't ask why people do not mountain bike, you asked why they
DID. They do mountain bike because THEY find it fun, and its a great
form of exercise -- much better than, say, running off at the mouth or
jumping to conclusions.

Yawn.

What's the matter Mike, couldn't handle the truth?

Since you are not a mountain biker, you have no idea why they do it. You
just think you do.

He appears very sincere in his statements

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Old July 27th 06, 12:57 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

"Chris Foster" wrote in message
Mike Vandeman wrote in
:

wrote:

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
om...
Frequently Asked Questions about Mountain Biking
Michael Vandeman, Ph.D.
March 5, 2004

1. Why do people mountain bike?

Because they can, and it's fun.

Only for the risk-addicted. It's not fun for anyone around them.

You didn't ask why people do not mountain bike, you asked why they
DID. They do mountain bike because THEY find it fun, and its a great
form of exercise -- much better than, say, running off at the mouth or
jumping to conclusions.

Yawn.

What's the matter Mike, couldn't handle the truth?

Since you are not a mountain biker, you have no idea why they do it. You
just think you do.

He appears very sincere in his statements

Honestly, sincerity is relative. I'm more sincere that you guy sseem to like
what you are doing -- that is, YOU can and you find it fun. Personally I do
not ride, I'm only here to keep trails open. Mike is here to close trails to
everybody, my goal is to keep the trails we already have open.

I think I understand why you guys do it, but it isn't my cup of tea and I
see no harm, okay I see very little harm, in riding a bike. Surely there are
greater threats to the evnironment than a few joy-seekers on bikes.