Prostatitis And Cycling?

Old July 4th 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sandy

Default Prostatitis And Cycling?

Dans le message de ,
(PeteCresswell) a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
Per Qui si parla Campagnolo:
Do you have any symptoms? If not, that's like saying eating can cause
obesity. Good bike fit, no symptoms like sleepy winkie and go ride.

Been there, done that for about forty years now.

No doubt whatsoever in my case there's a correlation.

Hasn't stopped me - but it's definitely slowed me down bc the
intrabdominal pressure/shared lymph ducts thing seems to be a
factor.

In light of your observation that an MD may just be repeating
what they've heard instead of speaking from actual experience I
was trolling for somebody else with some experience in managing
the problem.

So far, it sounds to me like nobody's gonna touch it.

I enjoyed a spell or two of prostatitis, and the advice from my physician
was to be more careful in laundering, especially rinsing, shorts - and
second, more important advice - to augment significantly the quantity of
sexual release in my life.

I took all the advice. Since then, 15 years ago, only one new occurrence,
and it occurred during prolonged travel with no laundry done. Note, I only
mentioned the laundry.
--
Sandy

Old July 4th 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Derk

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

My plumber says cycling is "a risk factor" for prostatitis.
Anybody got some cycling-specific insights/experience/wisdom?

http://www.geocities.com/iastr/ebroc.htm

Gr, Derk
Old July 4th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Sandy:
to augment significantly the quantity of
sexual release in my life.

In support of that, my plumber asserts that prostatitis is
virtually endemic among the Catholic priesthood.

Also among power lifters (the intra-abdominal pressure/shared
lymph ducts thing...)
--
PeteCresswell
Old July 4th 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Derk

First: I'm no doctor.

I had this problem too (non bacterial prostatitis). I tried everything there
is and though I was sceptical about it first, I was so desperate I tried it
and it really helped.

Cycling didn't make it any worse btw.

Gr, Derk

Old July 4th 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark

Sandy wrote:
[...]

Sandy, I understand that cleanliness and laundry are good things, and
desirable in any case, not the least for avoiding saddle boils, but I
don't understand how it's supposed to make a difference in prostatitis.
I figure that if poor hygiene is the cause, you should also see lots
of urinary tract infections in general, not just prostatitis.

I'm not a physician and am often wrong about such things, though. Did
your doctor give any explanation? Did s/he indicate the prostatitis was
likely bacterial in nature?

- and
second, more important advice - to augment significantly the quantity of
sexual release in my life.

Hmmm... hard to argue with that.

Mark J.
Old July 4th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sandy

Dans le message de ,
Mark a réfléchi, et puis a
déclaré :
Sandy wrote:
[...]

You're plain evil! Making me remember the "push it out the front door"
instant remedy.

I didn't ask, as the therapies have been more than satisfactory. Even
during the winter break. Especially during the winter break.

Old July 4th 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson

Sandy wrote:

I enjoyed a spell or two of prostatitis, and the advice from my
physician was to be more careful in laundering, especially rinsing,
shorts - and second, more important advice - to augment significantly
the quantity of sexual release in my life.

I took all the advice. Since then, 15 years ago, only one new
occurrence, and it occurred during prolonged travel with no laundry
done. Note, I only mentioned the laundry.

The phrase "dirty dog" comes to mind. (Seems to be a theme with you today!)

Old July 4th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson

Derk wrote:
(PeteCresswell) wrote:

My plumber says cycling is "a risk factor" for prostatitis.
Anybody got some cycling-specific insights/experience/wisdom?

http://www.geocities.com/iastr/ebroc.htm

Especially for the SOLO rider...

Old July 5th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Mark:
Did s/he indicate the prostatitis was
likely bacterial in nature?

Prostatitis in and of itself is just "itis of the prostate" -
i.e. irritation/inflammation.

Then you get into "Bacterial prostatitis" and whatever other
subtypes there are depending on the cause of the "itis".

There's even one that afflicts people who have has so many
bacterial infections that parts of the gland have calcified. For
them, just jarring the thing causes inflammation.
--
PeteCresswell
Old July 5th 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
lightninglad

On Jul 4, 8:29 am, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article ,

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
My plumber says cycling is "a risk factor" for prostatitis.

He also says something about elevated intra-abdominal pressure and
lymph ducts that are common to the prostate and the lower digestive
tract.

Anybody got some cycling-specific insights/experience/wisdom?

The benefits from riding a bike outweigh the risks by a huge margin.

And in any case, you can now buy bikes like the Challenge Seiran SL,
Bacchetta Aero , M5 Tica and others which avoid the issues of saddle
pressure. There's absolutely no need to stop cycling because of
prostate or back problems when beautiful bikes like that are
available. I have BPH and can't tolerate a saddle.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brecumbent/

It's not how or what you ride - it's THAT you ride.