Removing Cartridge Bearings

Old February 27th 04, 06:10 PM
rogerwinn

Default Removing Cartridge Bearings

I'm looking to get some grease behind my cartridge bearing Mavic Primat
Hubs (and I guess on a side note, why does Mavic put in the cartridg
bearings dry?), but can't figure out a good way to get them out. Th
drive side cartridge came out when I popped out the axle, but I stil
haven't been able to remove the non-drive side. Anyone know a good wa
to get them out? Is there a specific tool necessary to properly remov
them? Thanks for the help

-Roge

-

Old February 29th 04, 09:29 PM
Nick Payne

If there's no way to tap it out from the back (as you can do on a Bullseye
hub), then I would suggest fitting the end of the axle back through the
bearing and wiggling it gently to loosen it from the hub shell.

Nick

"rogerwinn" wrote in message
I'm looking to get some grease behind my cartridge bearing Mavic Primato
Hubs (and I guess on a side note, why does Mavic put in the cartridge
bearings dry?), but can't figure out a good way to get them out. The
drive side cartridge came out when I popped out the axle, but I still
haven't been able to remove the non-drive side. Anyone know a good way
to get them out? Is there a specific tool necessary to properly remove
them? Thanks for the help.

Old March 1st 04, 12:29 AM
jim beam

if it's a sealed cartridge bearing, leave it alone unless you want to
replace it.

if you /do/ want to replace it, there is this tool:

http://biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id...em_id=UB-TA340

but beware, if the bearing is in snug, driving it out may damage it
because the force is applied to the inner race, not the outer race and
it will overload the bearing elements.

rogerwinn wrote:
I'm looking to get some grease behind my cartridge bearing Mavic Primato
Hubs (and I guess on a side note, why does Mavic put in the cartridge
bearings dry?), but can't figure out a good way to get them out. The
drive side cartridge came out when I popped out the axle, but I still
haven't been able to remove the non-drive side. Anyone know a good way
to get them out? Is there a specific tool necessary to properly remove
them? Thanks for the help.

-Roger

Old March 1st 04, 03:10 PM
rogerwinn

They are sealed cartridge bearings. Does there need to be grease behin
them, though? I squirted some tri-flow behind the one I couldn't get ou
because it was squeaking, and I just want to make sure that when I d
want to get them out, that it is possible. Also it seems to be riding
little bit better after I added the tri-flow (might just b
psychological, thinking "silence=better"), does having grease behin
sealed cartridge bearings make them run better

-Roge

-