Another Reason To Carry Spare Tubes

Old September 19th 08, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Another Reason To Carry Spare Tubes

Pinch-flatted during lunch hour today.

"OK, we'll throw a new tube in there...."

"Oops!... gave that sucker to somebody who needed it and forgot
to re-stock."

"No prob.... we'll just slap a patch on it."

"Oops: brand new tube of cement, never opened.... dried up
inside".

"Oh well, it's only a couple miles back to work...."
--
PeteCresswell
Old September 19th 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Sep 18, 6:17*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Pinch-flatted during lunch hour today.

"OK, we'll throw a new tube in there...."

"Oops!... gave that sucker to somebody who needed it and forgot
to re-stock."

"No prob.... we'll just slap a patch on it."

"Oops: *brand new tube of cement, never opened.... dried up
inside".

"Oh well, it's only a couple miles back to work...."
--
PeteCresswell

I've got 3 or 4 spare tubes stashed in my desk drawer, along with a
spare folding tire. The tire I added after I got a 3/4" cut in my tire
on the way in - OK to boot to limp in, but I don't want to have to get
home on that, either.
Old September 19th 08, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David White[_2_]

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Pinch-flatted during lunch hour today.

"OK, we'll throw a new tube in there...."

"Oops!... gave that sucker to somebody who needed it and forgot
to re-stock."

"No prob.... we'll just slap a patch on it."

"Oops: brand new tube of cement, never opened.... dried up
inside".

"Oh well, it's only a couple miles back to work...."

I have always carried spare tubes, 3 of them now. Not too long ago I
flatted on a ride near a favorite coffee shop. No problem I thought: get
a cup of joe, sit on the patio, and replace the tube. Turned out my two
spare tubes were hosed and would not hold air. Turned out they were all
the same brand (Specialized) and all cracked in the same place along a
mold seam. I couldn't even slap a self-stick patch on them (had those
too) as the crack was too big. Had to call for a pick-up. Cripes!
Old September 19th 08, 06:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
tiborg

On Sep 19, 10:17*am, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Pinch-flatted during lunch hour today.

"OK, we'll throw a new tube in there...."

"Oops!... gave that sucker to somebody who needed it and forgot
to re-stock."

"No prob.... we'll just slap a patch on it."

"Oops: *brand new tube of cement, never opened.... dried up
inside".

"Oh well, it's only a couple miles back to work...."
--
PeteCresswell

I carry a couple self-adhesive patches in addition to spare tubes,
glue and regular patches. I also carry some human patches too, never
know when they might come in handy
Old September 19th 08, 01:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sep 18, 9:17*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Pinch-flatted during lunch hour today.

"OK, we'll throw a new tube in there...."

"Oops!... gave that sucker to somebody who needed it and forgot
to re-stock."

"No prob.... we'll just slap a patch on it."

"Oops: *brand new tube of cement, never opened.... dried up
inside".

"Oh well, it's only a couple miles back to work...."
--
PeteCresswell

Thanks! I'm on the way to check out the cement in my patch kit as we
speak - hadn't even thought of that and have not patched a tube in
ages. I can't recall if this is the kit I've had for years or the one
I bought this spring. I seem to recall putting what was left for
patches in kit #1 into the new kit, so it should be fairly new. Off
to check!
Old September 19th 08, 01:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sep 19, 8:45*am, " wrote:
On Sep 18, 9:17*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Pinch-flatted during lunch hour today.

"OK, we'll throw a new tube in there...."

"Oops!... gave that sucker to somebody who needed it and forgot
to re-stock."

"No prob.... we'll just slap a patch on it."

"Oops: *brand new tube of cement, never opened.... dried up
inside".

"Oh well, it's only a couple miles back to work...."
--
PeteCresswell

Thanks! *I'm on the way to check out the cement in my patch kit as we
speak - hadn't even thought of that and have not patched a tube in
ages. *I can't recall if this is the kit I've had for years or the one
I bought this spring. *I seem to recall putting what was left for
patches in kit #1 into the new kit, so it should be fairly new. *Off
to check!

Heh... I'm feeling a bit foolish at the moment. My patch cement was
dried up completely, couldn't even get a dab out of it. Looks like
it's back to the LBS @ lunch for a new patch kit! I wonder if the
local K-mart carries patch kits, or mini tubes of rubber cement? I
might not be able to get out at lunch, and K-mart will still be open
when I get out of work. I've still got 6 small round patches and 2
larger oval patches, just no cement.

Thanks for getting me to check!
Old September 19th 08, 02:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sep 19, 8:54*am, " wrote:
On Sep 19, 8:45*am, " wrote:

[...]

Thanks for getting me to check!- Hide quoted text -

just spoke with a friend of mine who rides a bit more than I do, or at
least used to. He's been relying on super glue and sections of old
tubes for patches for 15 years now. I wonder if I can find a tube of
super glue small enough to fit in my patch kit...?
Old September 19th 08, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sep 19, 1:00*am, RS wrote:
In article ,
says...

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Pinch-flatted during lunch hour today.

"OK, we'll throw a new tube in there...."

"Oops!... gave that sucker to somebody who needed it and forgot
to re-stock."

"No prob.... we'll just slap a patch on it."

"Oops: *brand new tube of cement, never opened.... dried up
inside".

"Oh well, it's only a couple miles back to work...."

I have always carried spare tubes, 3 of them now. Not too long ago I
flatted on a ride near a favorite coffee shop. No problem I thought: get
a cup of joe, sit on the patio, and replace the tube. Turned out my two
spare tubes were hosed and would not hold air. Turned out they were all
the same brand (Specialized) and all cracked in the same place along a
mold seam. I couldn't even slap a self-stick patch on them (had those
too) as the crack was too big. Had to call for a pick-up. Cripes!

I switched to Michelin tubes from sale priced Specialized. *Less flats and no
broken stems so the extra price is worth it. *But just to be safe I carry 2
tubes plus Rema and instant patch kit. *- Hide quoted text -

2 long valve tubes and the instant patches for me. Long valve because
I use the same bag on bikes with shallow and deep section rims.
Haven't checked the instant patches in a long time so I'm not sure
they are still good or not. Not sure if instant patches dry up with
age.
Old September 19th 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David White[_2_]

RS wrote:
In article ,
says...

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

That's what I moved to as well. Conti used to make these amazing
seamless tubes and since the splits happened on the seams I thought they
would be a good idea. But they don't make them any more it seems.

how to protect spare tubes in the tool bag [email protected] Techniques 12 May 2nd 08 06:21 AM
Another reason to carry your digital camera on a ride Mike Jacoubowsky General 22 December 25th 07 02:22 AM
self sealing tubes HD commuting touring tubes patch glue knee how ma [email protected] Techniques 5 February 8th 06 02:37 AM
Gluing tubes to tubes Ted Techniques 12 January 31st 05 09:43 PM
One more reason not to use a car! Panasonic UK 3 August 28th 03 08:08 PM