Aliso ride 10.3.08

Old October 6th 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mtnjeffe

Default Aliso ride 10.3.08

I have started a couple of threads asking about riding uphill but didn't
know how to compare the difficulty of the hills I had attempted to ride.
I know Jamey can ride up Cholla but can all of you? I find it
challenging, but doable to ride from the top of Cholla to the top of
Rock-it - anything steeper and I am walking. If you can all ride much
steeper trails how long did it take you to "get it".

--
mtnjeffe
Old October 7th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unicycle6869

mtnjeffe;1108643 wrote:
I have started a couple of threads asking about riding uphill but didn't
know how to compare the difficulty of the hills I had attempted to ride.
I know Jamey can ride up Cholla but can all of you? I find it
challenging, but doable to ride from the top of Cholla to the top of
Rock-it - anything steeper and I am walking. If you can all ride much
steeper trails how long did it take you to "get it".

It takes both endurance and skill and I don't know which it takes more
of. The longer the cranks usually the easier it is to climb up steep
sections. I currently use 165's and they seem to work great. I'll
eventually switch to 150's one of these days...

I have now climbed Cholla 3 times with no dismounts and Manthis once
with no dismounts (and on my first try!). I was pretty stoked about
that. As for technique, I just go slow and steady. If it's really steep
you kind of have to do a half a revolution, stop and re-position, then
do another half a revolution, stop and re-position, etc. But if you can
just keep cranking up it then it's a lot less effort as you use the
momentum to keep you going. Then of course if it's rocky, you might have
to jump here and there to get up. Hope that helps. Besides that it's
just practice practice practice!!

--
unicycle6869

24X3 INSTENSE TIRES ON SALE
HERE!!! (\"HTTP://WWW.UNIPROSHOP.COM\")

'www.uniproshop.com' (http://www.uniproshop.com)
Old October 7th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

I think I have the technique to make the same climbs, and I'm very
proficient at half revs and repositioning and all that. And I also have
good stamina and lung capacity. And a big factor is how you're feeling
on a particular day and how much hard riding you may have done in the
days just prior.

I also believe that age is a factor, and a very experienced rider in
there 20's is just simply going to have an edge over someone nearly 53,
no matter how fit that older person might be. Another factor is also my
MUni setup. Instead of 165mm like Jamey, I have 150mm cranks and a LM
rim, so not only do I have less leverage for the steep climbs, but a
heavier rig to do it on.

So, here's my idea. I will do this *same* ride again with you guys, but
this time I'll use my Orange '05 KH MUni with the standard rim and 165mm
cranks. I may have better results. With this similar type setup, I was
able to make it all the way up one of the very steepest sections, (I
dubbed "heart attack hill") leading up to the beginning of Mathis, while
others could not. And that was over a year ago. Plus, I won't do a 15
mile coker ride, and a 9+ mile MUni ride just prior, like last time,
lol! I'm fired up to try this again!

--
MuniAddict

'UniGeezer.com' (http://unigeezer.com/)
Old October 8th 08, 02:30 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
surfer1024

Lol & # 8 5 9 5 ;

|Filename: no bikes.bmp |

surfer1024

*)--SmallSpin-'O,* 1st Place)---hickflip-'O,

Latest Vid: 'Man's Best Friend'
#f5f5f5
Old October 8th 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unicycle6869

OK, here are some of the good pics I got...

|Filename: CIMG9218.JPG |

Old October 8th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Munivision

I'm ready to go again Friday! Anyone that can join us should. I may
have to see a couple patients first thing in the am, but should be
cooler so a later start should be okay.

--
Munivision

Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right!
Old October 8th 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Munivision;1109647 wrote:
I'm ready to go again Friday! Anyone that can join us should. I may
have to see a couple patients first thing in the am, but should be
cooler so a later start should be okay.

What time did you have in mind? I'm giving a Uni lesson this friday
sometime between 9-10am, and I'm not sure how long I'll be there, so if
we could do a 3-4pm start that would be awesome! And I'll bring my
other, lighter KH MUni with the 165's.

Old October 8th 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mtnjeffe

If you make it 4:00, I could make it and I would certainly like to meet
you guys. Although I will be walking a bit more than you.

Jeff

--
mtnjeffe
Old October 8th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

mtnjeffe;1109698 wrote:
If you make it 4:00, I could make it and I would certainly like to meet
you guys. Although I will be walking a bit more than you.

Jeff

I'm good with 4pm! Plus, it will be way better for those of us (probably
only me) who has to drive 80 miles roundtrip, so when we finish, likely
around 6:30-7pm, which is perfect, traffic won't be so bad.

Old October 8th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Munivision

4pm works for me if it works for Jamey. That could mean pizza after and
beverages, adult and otherwise

muni at aliso woods bob1993 Unicycling 1 July 11th 07 04:12 AM
New Video: Muni at Aliso Woods 7.7.07 MuniAddict Unicycling 16 January 9th 07 05:08 PM
New Video: Muni at Aliso Woods 7.7.07 Jonny_Peacock Unicycling 0 January 8th 07 04:41 AM
Saturday Dec 10, 2005: MUni in OC, Aliso Woods leadpan Unicycling 0 December 9th 05 04:33 PM
SoCal - Aliso Wood Canyon ride today 8/17/03 OrangeCountyCarl Mountain Biking 4 August 21st 03 06:16 AM