700c Cross Wheel In 26" MTB Sus Fork?

Old June 27th 09, 10:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default 700c Cross Wheel In 26" MTB Sus Fork?

Has anybody done this?

I'm thinking about building a set of "road" wheels for my FS.
Something like 28mm 'cross tires.

The total diameter of my 26" Mutano Raptor 55's seems tb on a par
with a 700c skinny tire wheel.

Measuring a fork, it looks like a possible fit - but nothing I'd
want to be the guinea pig on.

Anybody done this?
--
PeteCresswell
Old June 27th 09, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jun 27, 4:26*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Has anybody done this?

I'm thinking about building a set of "road" wheels for my FS.
Something like 28mm 'cross tires.

The total diameter of my 26" Mutano Raptor 55's seems tb on a par
with a 700c skinny tire wheel.

Measuring a fork, it looks like a possible fit - but nothing I'd
want to be the guinea pig on.

Anybody done this?
--

If you're running discs, no problem.

Old June 29th 09, 02:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Jun 27, 5:26*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Has anybody done this?

I'm thinking about building a set of "road" wheels for my FS.
Something like 28mm 'cross tires.

The total diameter of my 26" Mutano Raptor 55's seems tb on a par
with a 700c skinny tire wheel.

Measuring a fork, it looks like a possible fit - but nothing I'd
want to be the guinea pig on.

Anybody done this?
--
PeteCresswell

Hi Pete.

I converted a rigid fork mtb to a touring bike by putting 700C x 32mm
tires on it. I used side pull brakes.

Does your front suspension have a hole for a brake bolt?
Could you take your bike to a friendly shop whre they will let you try
placing a 700C wheel in the fork to see if it fits?

Cheers from Peter
Old June 30th 09, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Sir Ridesalot:
Does your front suspension have a hole for a brake bolt?
Could you take your bike to a friendly shop whre they will let you try
placing a 700C wheel in the fork to see if it fits?

Front/rear are both disc brakes.

I agree the logical/sensible thing to do is to take it to a shop.

But my bike's so dirty/nasty that I haven't gotten up the nerve.

Besides, I'd be jerking them around - having no intention of
buying anything from them if the wheels did fit.

OTOH, I buy plenty other stuff there.... Maybe it's time to break
down and hose the thing off..... -)
--
PeteCresswell
Old June 30th 09, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Carl Sundquist[_3_]

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Sir Ridesalot:
Does your front suspension have a hole for a brake bolt?
Could you take your bike to a friendly shop whre they will let you try
placing a 700C wheel in the fork to see if it fits?

Front/rear are both disc brakes.

I agree the logical/sensible thing to do is to take it to a shop.

But my bike's so dirty/nasty that I haven't gotten up the nerve.

Besides, I'd be jerking them around - having no intention of
buying anything from them if the wheels did fit.

OTOH, I buy plenty other stuff there.... Maybe it's time to break
down and hose the thing off..... -)

You don't know anyone who rides a 700c [622 for Tom ;-)] wheel that you
could just ask?
Old June 30th 09, 02:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Jun 27, 5:26*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Has anybody done this?

I'm thinking about building a set of "road" wheels for my FS.
Something like 28mm 'cross tires.

The total diameter of my 26" Mutano Raptor 55's seems tb on a par
with a 700c skinny tire wheel.

Measuring a fork, it looks like a possible fit - but nothing I'd
want to be the guinea pig on.

Anybody done this?
--
PeteCresswell

Hi again Pete.

I just tried putting my 700C wheel with a 32mm Schwalbe cyclocross
tire on my friend's front suspension mtb. Two things. #1, the mtb fork
is much wider spacing than the 700C wheel. #2, there is only 1/16 inch
of daylight between the fork bridge and the top of the tire. Maybe you
arte lucky and your fork has more clearance.

Good luck and cheers from Peter
Old July 2nd 09, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Sir Ridesalot:
there is only 1/16 inch
of daylight between the fork bridge and the top of the tire. Maybe you
arte lucky and your fork has more clearance.

I could live with that bc those wheels would be my "road" config.

Gotta try it with my '04 Bomber MX Pros though because the peak
of that metal arch over the tire dips down at it's center and
measuring suggests it's too close to not do a trial fit.
--
PeteCresswell