Gold Rush (or Ti Rush) v. Bacchetta Aero

Old September 27th 03, 03:50 AM
harryo

Default Gold Rush (or Ti Rush) v. Bacchetta Aero

Originally posted by Don Please note that as a member of the Bacchetta
Yahoo group, I know some of the Stradas and Corsas (and probably some
Giros) were sold to make room and $$$$ for Aeros. Lots of Bacchetta
riders were so pleased they decided to upgrade. Not unlike TE/GRR riders
selling to finance a Ti-Rush. Don't put a lot of significance on bikes
being sold. And remember, some people are never happy and have to keep
moving on. They are also not the perfect bike for everyone so there will
always be some selling.]

I never inferred there was any significance other than the fact that
some used Bacchettas were showing up on the marketplace. I was actually
ageeing with EZ Biker's observation that most used Bacchettas seemed to
be Stradas.

As I replied to PJ, I'm sure some Stradas are sold to move up to Aeros
but as you said yourself, some are sold for other reasons as is probably
every other brand of bike. Certainly, there have been some Bacchetta
owners that bought a Strada, perhaps a bit taken in by some of the hype,
found that it did not suit them for some reason, and consequently sold
it. Again, this will happen with any new model bent, and is no
reflection on any negatives of Bacchetta bikes.

Harry

Old September 27th 03, 07:59 PM
Andy

Robert,

I miss it but I could not ride it anymore. The Tour Easy was just more fun,
more comfortable and more fast.

Andy

"Robert Siegel" wrote in message
Same as yours ... but I still miss the P-38's speed and feeling of
lightness, especially up hills. It provided an excellent "fit" for my

body.
However, I found it impossible to switch back and forth from one to the
other and concluded the GRR design was "best" for me. I still miss the

P-38
though.
"Andy" wrote in message
Dear Gator Bob,

Interesting. Years ago (1997?) I bought a P-38 as I thought it would be
better than my Tour Easy. Every day for a season, I rode a different

bike
until fall. By then I could not get myself to ride the P-38 any

longer,
just liked riding the TE much better. (Of course, I know someone who

likes
his P-38 much better than his Gold Rush.) What was your experience

changing
from the P-38 to the Ti Rush.

Andy

"Robert Siegel" wrote in message
Don't have an Aero but I had the same experience going from a P-38 Xt

Ti Rush.
"Andy" wrote in message
Gator Bob,

Did you have the same experience with the Ti Rush and the Aero as

EZ?

Andy

"Robert Siegel" wrote in message
Rarely in my experience does a two recumbent owner ride his/her

two
different bikes on an equal time basis.
Long term, only one wins out and gets ridden.

Sorry EZ, I told you so ....
-))

Gator Bob Siegel

"EZ Biker :-)" wrote

Hello Andy, I'm one of THOSE that has both a GRR Ti and Aero.

(Owned
Rotator Pursuit Ti too) Both are wonderful bikes

....I honestly prefer my Aero over my GRR Ti, for the
sheer less weight factor, better speed

Old September 28th 03, 01:44 AM
Tom Sherman

"EZ Biker :-)" wrote:

Hello Andy, I'm one of THOSE that has both a GRR Ti and Aero. (Owned a
Rotator Pursuit Ti too) Both are wonderful bikes and cater to similar
philosophies, pertaining to start off speed, stability, over all speed and
climbing. My Aero seems to have a quicker ability to get up to speed than my
GRR Ti and it (Aero) seems to be a better climber on at least the mo-hills
down here in South Florida. Of course my Aero is about 22.5 lbs vs. my GRR
Ti that's 32 lbs w/ fairing and rear aero bag. Both offer stability at
speed, with the Aero probably a tad better, due to the same wheel size.
(IMHO) In head winds, it's clearly NO CONTEST! The Aero knifes through the
wind, while the Faired GRR Ti, is significantly taxed and slower, due to the
wind resistance hitting the fairing. (And all these years I thought a
fairing was suppose to make you more aerodynamically fluid flow through head
winds. NOT TRUE, in my personal experience) It's like a large hand, pressing
on your fairing, holding you back. A body sock might make a difference; (OK
Thomas Sherman, are you HAPPY, now that I've admitted that?) but I've never
tried one....

EZ,

Saying a bodysock MIGHT make a difference is not really admitting
anything, is it?

In my experience, the performance increase from putting a bodysock on a
front-faired RANS "Wavewind" was not subtle. I was even significantly
faster up small hills due to the aerodynamic advantage.

There is someone (who shall remain anonymous unless he wishes to reveal
himself) who made the mistake of buying his wife a bodysock for her GRR,
therefore making it hard for him to keep up.

Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers
Old September 28th 03, 01:50 AM
Tom Sherman

mike s wrote:

"EZ Biker :-\)" wrote in message news:o7Bcb.574519$Ho3.106642@sccrnsc03...
Thanks Jude! Just what I was going to say... Grin I think the appeal of
Bacchetta's is that they truly are an enthusiast kind of bike.

Disclaimer: My opinion only. I think Bacchettas are still in their
honeymoon phase. Concluding their second year they are still the new
kid on the block as concerns performance oriented recumbents. More
and more you see them turning up used. When they first came out the
impression was they were the panacea for all that ails you. I have
never felt comfortable on the bike. It just doesn't fit me well. On
the other hand I can't say enough good things about the Barcroft
Virginia, especially with the carbon fiber seat (I had adapted, now
the company offers them). Not only is performance based in large part
on the engine, but the desirability of the bike is also determined by
how the engine feels riding it. That's why we have so many options.
No question the high racers are fast. But they tend to be less
manuverable at slower speeds than their 26/20 cousins. I think you
could put the Volaes, Bacchettas, Barcrofts (to mention three) into a
category and whichever you picked would be a fine bicycle. My
Virginia is fast, stable, manuverable and comfortable. It provides me
the level of comfort and performance that the high racers can't
provide for me. I would take it over a high racer in a heartbeat.
Others will have a different opinion. Individual preference rules.
There is no universal solution. Upcoming might be a nice compromise,
Bacchetta's titanium 26/20 model. That tends to narrow the design gap
between the two styles. Sigh, another choice.

Mike,

What you really need is a Sunset.

Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers
Old September 28th 03, 04:30 AM
Jude T. McGloin

As is normal with benters and most everyone that is heavily involved with
cycling for one reason or another......we all have our preferences. This
ranges from frame material to brake shoes. Experiences good and bad with
specific bents and components vary as much as personalities.
There are and will be varied reasons why one chooses to change bents
upgrade being one high BB intolerance or low BB intolerance for that matter.
The aforementioned being more prevalent than the latter...Some will
sacrifice some comfort for speed....some are less weight conscious. Some
love the Tweener bar some hate it, same goes for the RANS praying hamster or
USS for that matter. I had a customer who rides a Haluzak Horizon (5 years)
who took all three Bacchettas for a ride and said " I really like these
bikes..I'll be back"
Any bent can have a quirk that puts it on the sale bloc....As was said
before... its most often not an indication of mass disenchantment
--
Jude....///Bacchetta AERO
St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland

Old September 28th 03, 07:02 PM
EZ Biker :-\)

WELL Tom, I don't need to worry about any body sock, aero bag or other
bicycle additive, now that I've moved onto my Aero. Simple design, easy to
clean and fast enough to suit my needs. Life is GOOD!
EZ Biker :-) Pompano Beach, Fl. (Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

Old September 28th 03, 07:46 PM
Mikael Seierup

"EZ Biker :-)" skrev...
WELL Tom, I don't need to worry about any body sock, aero bag or other
bicycle additive, now that I've moved onto my Aero. Simple design, easy to
clean and fast enough to suit my needs. Life is GOOD!

"Ah but you would be faster with a tailfairing on it", the voice of temptation whispered. ;-)

M.
Old September 29th 03, 01:44 AM
EZ Biker :-\)

Maybe, but my Bacchetta bag works just fine.
EZ Biker :-) Pompano Beach, Fl. (Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

"EZ Biker :-)" skrev...

Old September 29th 03, 03:20 AM
harryo

"Jude T. McGloin" wrote in message ...
Any bent can have a quirk that puts it on the sale bloc....As was said
before... its most often not an indication of mass disenchantment

Agreed, but owner disenchantment is one reason for selling a bike and
I would imagine some Bacchettas have been sold for this reason. The
Bacchetta frenzy is unlike anything I have seen seen in the 4 years i
have been bent and I have heard some Bacchetta owners make some
outlandish speed claims. Some have claimed that a Bacchetta instantly
made them 2-5 mph faster and some claim to routinely ride at 25-30
mph. I remember one owner who claimed he was out of shape and fat but
as soon as he bought an Aero, he was passing buffed triatheletes, on
high end DFs, when climbing hills. As we know, the anonymity of the
internet sometimes leads to some exaggerated claims and some Bacchetta
owners are not immune to this.

Some people have undoubtedly been caught up in this hype and purchased
a Bacchetta, only to find it didn't make them an instant speed demon
because of some of the other bike to rider incompatabilities that you
mentioned or the simple fact that they don't have the heart, lungs and
legs to realize the potential of the bike. Certainly some of these
owners have resold their bikes. Owner disenchantment happens for any
brand and model of bike and it would be naive to think Bacchetta bikes
would be immune to it.

Harry
Old September 29th 03, 01:24 PM
EZ Biker :-\)

Harry, Lance Armstrong BEGGED me to SLOW down on my Aero, as I was whipping
him silly in a recent bike event... ;-) Grin BUT actually you are right
on about your post. I thought I'd be faithful to my GRR Ti forever, but now
I may have a buyer for it. (Breaking my solemn oath NEVER to part with it)
It's not that I'm specifically disenchanted with my GRR Ti, but it's the
additional fairing part, that I've fallen out of Love for. I like being able
to put JUST MY BIKE in the vehicle, without having to remove any fairing or
additional parts. Plus having the bod be in an aerodynamic laid back
position, seems to work better for me, than hiding behind a HEAVY bubble.
EZ Biker :-) Pompano Beach, Fl. Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

m...