Recumbent Trike Opinions

Old October 6th 03, 12:12 PM
rorschandt

Default Recumbent Trike Opinions

"Mark Leuck" wrote in
. net:

Whatever happened to the other trike? the one with the tube-mesh type
frame?

http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/844656287
It's in the attic. There were some stabilty problems, which I originally
blamed on the high center of gravity/flexy frame. I later determined that
it was a fairly easy to fix problem regarding steering linkage. It my be on
the "anti-insanity projects" list for the soon to be upon us Season of
Death, or as some call it less dramatically, W*nter. Anyway, most of the
brakes,wheels,headsets and such from the Chaco are installed on the
Psycledelic.
Thanks for asking (^:
R.

Old October 6th 03, 02:05 PM
Steve Baker

"iLiad" wrote in message . ..
Phil,
The Windheetahs are very nice, but I can almost guarantee that going from
the Wizwheelz with the handlebar steering to the joystick steering will be a
dissapointment. The Windcheetah's are very squirley as a trike and can be
difficult to control on hills and faster speeds.
I got rid of mine because of that very issue and a friend of mine who
recently purchased one has the same complaints. We are a small control group
though ;-) A ton of people love their Windcheetahs.
As you know, with a wizwheelz you can pretty much shoot across anything just
by turning and holding on. The Windcheetah has a tendancy to get on two
wheels if you play to much.

Wow! I can't let this one go by. My experience with the Windcheetah is
exactly the opposite. It is extremely stable at high speeds; you just
can't ham-hand the controls. Fingertips will do it quite nicely.

I'm still testing the limits of mine (@1500 miles) but wheel lift
isn't a problem either. When it does happen it's gentle and very
controllable. Developing a good lean will help with the slalom
maneuvers (and really impress the on-lookers!). You should also
consider that the narrow track lets it fit through doors and gates
where wider trikes can't, at least not without acrobatics.

My $0.02.

Steve Baker
#K628
Old October 6th 03, 10:43 PM
Mike Euritt

Brake steer? Yep, and I wish it wasn't
there, even though I've "gotten used to it" and feel that I can handle
it - but that's like learning to live with an abusive spouse - you
shouldn't have to.

I've got the earlier model, "Road" and it has a lot of brake steer, especially
at higher speeds. To be honest the steering is so sensitive that I feel I have
better control at high speed by feathering a brake than by trying to deal with
the steering. I couldn't tell you at what speed I like one or the other, but i
do love the control I have working the brakes.

Yesterday, during a 45mph descent, I was up on two wheels for the first
time....whooo, that was fun! I gotta work on that body english

My GTT has little brake steer by comparison, but that shouldn't be a surprise,
it has more than twice the wheel base and everything happens slower, but as I am
screaming down hills, I do work the inside brake and have occasionally skidded
the inside wheel.

Mike
Old October 6th 03, 11:17 PM
Sticker Jim

"rorschandt" wrote in message
. 97.132...
"Mark Leuck" wrote in
. net:

Whatever happened to the other trike? the one with the tube-mesh type
frame?

http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/844656287
It's in the attic. There were some stabilty problems, which I originally
blamed on the high center of gravity/flexy frame. I later determined that
it was a fairly easy to fix problem regarding steering linkage. It my be

on
the "anti-insanity projects" list for the soon to be upon us Season of
Death, or as some call it less dramatically, W*nter. Anyway, most of the
brakes,wheels,headsets and such from the Chaco are installed on the
Psycledelic.
Thanks for asking (^:
R.

That's too bad it ended up in the attic. I like the space frame concept.
I'm planning one too but the frame will be wider and I want to see if I can
sling the seat in the middle of the frame with your butt just hanging in the
air (hopefully) a few inches above the road. Chain routing will be the only
glitch unless I raise the seat/frame high enough. I'll worry about that
when I start laying up the frame though

Old October 7th 03, 04:59 AM
avgrin

B"H
You should also try Swift Recumbent trike. I bought one close to two
years ago and the last spring bought the second for my children. I
use it primarily for commuting ( 9 mi each way 5 times a week) and a
long distance touring during vacations (1,000 + miles). It is well
made, rides as well any other trike, and for a complete trike with
fenders, a custom rack for 4 panniers, brazeons for a fairing, an
under-the-seat shelf, a mirror, a flag, and a horn is under US$2,000.
Completely forgot, it is also foldable for inexpensive shipping. By
now I have over 5,000mi on the first trike and absolutely love it.
Mike Rogan the trike maker is a great person to deal with even from
Houston, Texas. If you are near by, come to test a Swift.

http://mrrecumbenttrikes.com

Victor
Of Swift Riders Family
Old October 7th 03, 01:56 PM
Daniel Towner

The Windheetahs are very nice, but I can almost guarantee that going from
the Wizwheelz with the handlebar steering to the joystick steering will be a
dissapointment. The Windcheetah's are very squirley as a trike and can be
difficult to control on hills and faster speeds.

I don't find it a problem. Have you got your tracking set up properly,
and your tyres inflated as much as you can? My 'cheetah handles
beautifully at speed - very precise and easy to control.

I got rid of mine because of that very issue and a friend of mine who
recently purchased one has the same complaints. We are a small control group
though ;-) A ton of people love their Windcheetahs.

You bet!

As you know, with a wizwheelz you can pretty much shoot across anything just
by turning and holding on. The Windcheetah has a tendancy to get on two
wheels if you play to much.

Yep ;-) Its very controllable though, and its easy to predict when its
going to happen (or deliberately make it happen!). I've never felt
unsafe because of this tendancy.

I've just had a look at the Wizwheelz and it looks very wide, which is
obviously why its stable. I use my Windcheetah for commuting on a
range of roads and cycles paths, and if it was any wider than it is, I
would have a lot of problems (barriers, chicanes, stationary traffic,
etc). I'd be cautious about getting such a wide trike, unless you know
for certain that you will never encounter narrow gaps!

dan.

Windcheetah 626
Old October 7th 03, 04:31 PM
Willy McDuff

Fat old guys have a tendency to bounce around all over the place on any
type of trike they ride.

There are some diet books at the library with good advice to aid in
prevention of road bounce.

Willy McDuff

Larry Varney wrote but I used just the right degree of ambiguity to
insure that what I said was correct: "sufficiently-bumpy" and "high
enough speeds". So, even the most well-behaved suspended vehicle will
bounce around....