fixing my front brake caliper: is it worth it?

Old August 15th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default fixing my front brake caliper: is it worth it?

I have a shimano ultegra front brake caliper BR6500. I broke it, and
am wondering whether it would be cheaper to fix or or just replace the
whole shebang.
Allow me to explain... There is a little lever up front that allows
the pads to spread and so that the front wheel can be removed more
easily. When you lift it, the cable retainer is supposed to rotate
independently of the lever and relieve tension on the brake cable. On
mine, the cable retainer rotated with the lever, causing the cable to
wrap around the retainer, and then move back when tension was removed
from the lever. I checked the rear, and confirmed that the lever
should move independently of the cable fixing bolt.
So, I oiled the sticky item and got out the vise grips with
predictable results, I snapped the end off the release lever ( never
could get it to move independently).
So, do you think it is possible to buy the parts and repair this, or
just replace the whole thing.

Also, any ideas of why it locked up like that? There is a little hex
screw apparently holding it on, but after removal of that screw the
parts did not come off.

right now the caliper works, but i can't use the quick release feature
of the caliper.

Thanks!
Old August 16th 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

wrote:
[...]

replace it. buy the new 105 with orbital pad mountings - much superior.

Old August 17th 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Aug 16, 12:17*pm, jim beam wrote:
wrote:
[...]

replace it. *buy the new 105 with orbital pad mountings - much superior..- Hide quoted text -

Ok, thanks for responding!