adding eyelets so road bike can carry panniers

Old August 17th 08, 11:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Fred

Default adding eyelets so road bike can carry panniers

On Aug 17, 2:42*am, "Colin Nelson" wrote:
Zog The Undeniable wrote:
Gary Young wrote:
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 11:03:52 -0700, Fred wrote:

I have a steel Schwinn Paramount with a steel front fork. *I wanted
to have eyelets welded onto the frame so I can carry panniers for
light touring. *Is this something a local welder can do or is it a
specialized job. *Where can I buy eyelets? Thanks
Fred

A lot of framebuilders would be reluctant to add eyelets that are
going to be bearing a load (eyelets for fenders are another matter).
Generally, eyelets for racks are part of the same forging (or
stamping or casting) as the rest of the dropout.

If you're talking about low-rider bosses, I'd agree - the fork has to
be designed for that sort of thing.

'P' Clips (Google is your friend) work well here in the UK - Check that they are plastic or rubber coated.

--
Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... But the wind is mostly in your face- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for all the suggestions. I never realized there were that many
options.
Fred
Old August 18th 08, 02:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Aug 17, 1:42*am, "Colin Nelson" wrote:
Zog The Undeniable wrote:
Gary Young wrote:
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 11:03:52 -0700, Fred wrote:

I have a steel Schwinn Paramount with a steel front fork. *I wanted
to have eyelets welded onto the frame so I can carry panniers for
light touring. *Is this something a local welder can do or is it a
specialized job. *Where can I buy eyelets? Thanks
Fred

A lot of framebuilders would be reluctant to add eyelets that are
going to be bearing a load (eyelets for fenders are another matter).
Generally, eyelets for racks are part of the same forging (or
stamping or casting) as the rest of the dropout.

If you're talking about low-rider bosses, I'd agree - the fork has to
be designed for that sort of thing.

'P' Clips (Google is your friend) work well here in the UK - Check that they are plastic or rubber coated.

--
Colin N.

P clips work great for a rear rack and loaded rack top bag. P clips
at the bottom of the seatstays for the rack legs and P clips at the
top of the seatstays for the rack arms. I put electrical tape around
the frame tubes before putting on the plastic covered P clips.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... But the wind is mostly in your face- Hide quoted text -

Sturdy rack and panniers for off-road [email protected] Techniques 1 November 18th 07 02:55 PM
What do you carry in your road bike seat pack? cycledogg Techniques 173 September 9th 06 09:52 AM
Fenders for Terry-style road bike sans eyelets? Yonatan Mazuz Techniques 11 December 3rd 05 05:58 PM
Adding bike lanes The Wogster General 3 July 4th 05 02:22 PM
Adding more blinkies to my bike - help! Eric Babula General 16 February 10th 04 09:18 PM