Cyclocross Rims For 220# Rider?

Old August 19th 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Cyclocross Rims For 220# Rider?

On my MTBs, I found that the front wheels didn't require anything
special rim-wise, but the rear rims would crack around the
nipples if they didn't have double grommets.

I'm assuming the same holds for cyclocross wheels.

Can somebody venture a front/back rim recommendation?

i.e. something of decent quality, middle-of-the-road strength for
the front and something stronger for the rear?
--
PeteCresswell
Old August 19th 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Aug 18, 4:21*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
On my MTBs, I found that the front wheels didn't require anything
special rim-wise, but the rear rims would crack around the
nipples if they didn't have double grommets.

I'm assuming the same holds for cyclocross wheels.

Can somebody venture a front/back rim recommendation?

i.e. something of decent quality, middle-of-the-road strength for
the front and something stronger for the rear?
--
PeteCresswell

I have Open Pros on my cross bike and was 220 at my maximum weight. I
have since dropped 30lbs. The rims have held up very well. You have
to watch your tension and keep the right rear at 100-110 kgf. If that
is not enough to keep the rim true, then try thread lock. I prefer
the Aeorhead OC rims because of the more balanced tension, but they
are lighter than the Open Pros and more prone to mechanical damage and
not a good choice for cross. Most of the people I know who race cross
(which is a huge sport here in PDX), use prefab wheels like K$yeriums,
etc. The hard core are on tubies.-- Jay Beattie.

Old August 19th 08, 07:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Derk

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

Can somebody venture a front/back rim recommendation?

CXP 33

Derk
Old August 19th 08, 01:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Aug 18, 5:21*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
On my MTBs, I found that the front wheels didn't require anything
special rim-wise, but the rear rims would crack around the
nipples if they didn't have double grommets.

I'm assuming the same holds for cyclocross wheels.

Can somebody venture a front/back rim recommendation?

i.e. something of decent quality, middle-of-the-road strength for
the front and something stronger for the rear?
--
PeteCresswell

These.

http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=588

There is a lot of discussion, etc about tires and cross but the very
best overall, for a variety of conditions , are tubulars.
Old August 20th 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Jay Beattie:
Most of the people I know who race cross
(which is a huge sport here in PDX), use prefab wheels like K$yeriums,
etc. The hard core are on tubies.--

I should have clarified my agenda.

These wheels are going tb glorified road wheels.

The frame in question right now is a hard tail MTB - where really
fat tires like the WTB Mutano Raptors I use in the dirt fit, but
1.25" slicks leave enough room that I'm 99% sure that 700c wheels
will fit too.

After I've gotten that out of my system, I may port the whole
build to something like Habanero's 'cross frame or Surly's
CrossCHeck.

I'm not a racer - but I want to keep my options open vis-a-vis
going into the dirt and not folding a wheel if/when I'm on the
thing and not my MTB.
--
PeteCresswell