call to non-victorians re cycling laws

Old September 9th 05, 10:59 PM
flyingdutch

Default call to non-victorians re cycling laws

Came to a realisation last night at GOAT
(apart from the fact that that Stout is nectar of the gods )
re cycling on footpaths versus on roads.

Can you who are of non-victorian persuasion tell me what you're
laws state re footpath riding (actual quotes please) and kids and
relevant age.

chaars
FD

--
flyingdutch

Old September 10th 05, 12:39 AM
ritcho

flyingdutch Wrote:
Came to a realisation last night at GOAT
(apart from the fact that that Stout is nectar of the gods )
re cycling on footpaths versus on roads.

Can you who are of non-victorian persuasion tell me what you're
laws state re footpath riding (actual quotes please) and kids and
relevant age.

chaars
FD

http://tinyurl.com/4f6su

Bicycle laws and penalties
Under NSW legislation a bicycle is considered as a vehicle. As such,
cyclists are required to obey the road rules, including stopping at red
lights or Stop signs, Giving Way as indicated by signage and giving hand
signals when changing direction. As cyclists have responsibilities when
using the road system, they also have the right, like other vehicles,
to use the road and be shown courtesy and care by other road users.

A bicycle means a vehicle with one or more wheels that is built to be
propelled by human power through a belt, chain or gears (whether or not
it has an auxiliary motor) and includes a pedicab, penny-farthing,
scooter, tricycle and unicycle. See Australian Road Rules for further
information.

Cyclists also have some special rights, which include:
Riding two abreast, no more than 1.5 m apart
Travelling to the front of a line of traffic on the left hand side of
the stopped vehicles
Travelling in Bus Lanes and Transit Lanes. However, cyclists cannot
travel in Bus Only Lanes
Travelling on the footpath where indicated by signage
Cycling on the footpath if the cyclist is less than 12 years old. An
adult, who is riding in a supervisory capacity of a cyclist less than
12 years old, may also ride with the young cyclist on the footpath
Turning right from the left hand lane of a multi-lane roundabout with
the proviso the cyclists must give way to exiting traffic
To be a legal road vehicle during the day, a bicycle must have:

At least one working brake
Either a bell or horn fitted to the bike, within easy reach and in
working order
To be a legal road vehicle at night, a bicycle must also have :

Lights fitted and in use when riding at night - a steady or flashing
white light that is clearly visible for at least 200 metres and a
flashing or steady red light that is clearly visible for at least 200
metres from the rear of the bike
red rear reflector that is clearly visible for 50 metres when light is
projected onto it by a vehicle's headlight on low beam
It is compulsory to wear an approved helmet correctly when riding a
bike. This applies to all cyclists, regardless of age, including
children on bicycles with training wheels and any child being carried
as a passenger on a bike or in a trailer.

Failing to obey road or bicycle rules may result in a fine.

---

Regards,
Ritch

--
ritcho

Old September 10th 05, 01:59 AM
aeek

flyingdutch Wrote:

Can you who are of non-victorian persuasion tell me what you're
laws state re footpath riding (actual quotes please) and kids and
relevant age.

ACT: anyone, anywhere EXCEPT
a) pedestrian crossings
b) within 10m of an open shop

nowhere is it defined what a "shop" is, and how do you tell it openess
from a distance anyway.

--
aeek

Old September 10th 05, 02:10 AM
SteveA

flyingdutch Wrote:
Came to a realisation last night at GOAT
(apart from the fact that that Stout is nectar of the gods )
re cycling on footpaths versus on roads.

Can you who are of non-victorian persuasion tell me what you're
laws state re footpath riding (actual quotes please) and kids and
relevant age.

chaars
FD

For WA -

from
http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/cycling/publications/law.html

- "Children *under* 12 years of age may ride on any footpath unless a
no bicycles sign has been erected. Riders 12 years of age and over are
not permitted to ride on a footpath.
- Riders must keep left on shared paths and footpaths unless
overtaking.
- Riders must give way to pedestrians at all times. -
Note: pedestrians include people walking, using motorised and
non-motorised wheelchairs, and people on rollerblades and skates-.
- At path intersections you must signal your intention to turn, and
give way to motor vehicles entering or exiting an intersecting road.
- Riders must only travel in single file on all paths, though they
can travel two abreast on a road.
- A power-assisted bicycle must not use a path when the power
assistance is engaged.
- Under the Road Traffic Code, it is an offence to speed. The Code
also requires that you do not ride carelessly or recklessly.
- Animals must not be tied to a moving bike. "

Do you want sections of Acts etc?

SteveA

--
SteveA

Old September 10th 05, 02:48 AM
Terry Collins

flyingdutch wrote:
Came to a realisation last night at GOAT
(apart from the fact that that Stout is nectar of the gods )

So what is it like compared to beer and guiness?

Old September 10th 05, 08:26 AM
BrettS

SteveA wrote:

flyingdutch Wrote:

Came to a realisation last night at GOAT
(apart from the fact that that Stout is nectar of the gods )
re cycling on footpaths versus on roads.

Can you who are of non-victorian persuasion tell me what you're
laws state re footpath riding (actual quotes please) and kids and
relevant age.

chaars
FD

For WA -

from
http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/cycling/publications/law.html

- "Children *under* 12 years of age may ride on any footpath unless a
no bicycles sign has been erected. Riders 12 years of age and over are
not permitted to ride on a footpath.

Interesting that it doesn't allow riders over the age of 12 to ride on
the footpath in a supervisory capacity as NSW does. I thought we had
uniform road rules?

--
Brett"Breaking that rule on a weekly basis"S
Old September 10th 05, 09:28 AM
BrettM

flyingdutch wrote in
:

Came to a realisation last night at GOAT
(apart from the fact that that Stout is nectar of the gods )
re cycling on footpaths versus on roads.

Can you who are of non-victorian persuasion tell me what you're
laws state re footpath riding (actual quotes please) and kids and
relevant age.

chaars
FD

Go to the website of the Queensland Government Office of the
Parlimentary Counsel for the full text. (I'm back to a 28.8k connection
so I'm not chasing the legislation for you :-)

The two acts you are chasing are

Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995

&

Transport Operations (Road Use Management - Road Rules) Regulation 1999

Heap of sections will apply, I'm not sure what you are actually looking
for. To paraphrase though: -

- Object of the act - applies to the operation of vehicles on roads

Bikes are included in the definition of vehicle. Means all sections
apply except for some special provisions (Special Rules for Bicycles or
some such).

Bikes are entitled to half a traffic lane unless there is a bicycle path
in which case they are not entitled to the traffic lane.

Exceptions exist for Hook turns.

Another is that cyclists may use pedestrian crossings but must dismount
first.

Cheers

BrettM
Old September 10th 05, 11:07 AM
TimC

On 2005-09-10, BrettM (aka Bruce)
Bikes are entitled to half a traffic lane unless ...

Eh?? Never heard of that rule anywhere before. Glad I don't live in
Qld.

--
TimC
"The application did not fail successfully because of an error"
Old September 10th 05, 02:23 PM
aeek

BrettM Wrote:

Another is that cyclists may use pedestrian crossings but must
dismount
first.

at which point they are NOT a cyclist, they are a pedestrian. The
national road rules are very clear on this point.

--
aeek

Old September 10th 05, 02:37 PM
SteveA

aeek Wrote:
at which point they are NOT a cyclist, they are a pedestrian. The
national road rules are very clear on this point.

What do the national road rules say about a cyclist who stops at a ped
crossing as required. Dismounts. Crosses the crossing perpendicularly
to the flow of peds, ie continues on foot in the same direction as
he/she was pedalling. And then remounts and pedals off in the same
direction as originally travelling?

I haven't looked at the way the law would treat this but I am genuinely
curious. Could the cyclist be done for J walking when a pedestrian in
this exercise?

And if a 12 year old can cycle on the footpath, can they cycle across a
ped crossing?

SteveA

--
SteveA