Cycle awareness training for First Group bus drivers in Yorkshire

Old November 29th 11, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default Cycle awareness training for First Group bus drivers in Yorkshire

"Public transport operator First Group has joined forces with
Yorkshire-based cycle training provider Pedal Ready to provide cycle
awareness training to its drivers in Bradford and other towns and cities
throughout the region.

The initiative, which also sees stickers placed on buses to warn cyclists to
take care while riding near them, forms part of the a Passenger Safety Month
campaign currently being conducted by the company, which also operates bus
services in Halifax, Huddersfield and Leeds.

Quoted in the Bradford Telegraph & Argus, Brandon Jones, sales and marketing
manager for First in the north of England, commented: "The safety and
security of our passengers and staff is central to everything we do.

"During November, this message is being further highlighted as we run a
series of internal and external events across the region, raising awareness
of all the things people can do to ensure their stay safe while travelling
on our buses.

"We were particularly keen to tackle the issue of cyclist safety, which we
know is of concern to a number of cyclists across the area. By talking to
cycling safety experts, we have been able to incorporate the relevant dos
and don'ts into training for all our drivers.

"Issues such as cyclists changing their position on the road and the reasons
behind it are key to our drivers' understanding of how to act in each
potential circumstance."

One of First Group's buses was involved in an incident in which a male
cyclist aged 29 was killed in June 2006 at the junction of Bolton Road and
Wapping Road in Bradford, the location singled out as an accident blackspot
where several road users have lost their lives and a number of others
seriously injured.

According to Pedal Ready, it is now a co-operative of more than 40 members
supported by a dedicated support staff. As well as providing Bikeability
training to schoolchildren throughout Yorkshire, it has also forged links
with major organisations and employers active in the region."

--
Simon Mason

Old November 29th 11, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Parry

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 17:38:30 -0000, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

"Public transport operator First Group has joined forces with
Yorkshire-based cycle training provider Pedal Ready to provide cycle
awareness training to its drivers in Bradford and other towns and cities
throughout the region.

When is someone going to start running bus awareness courses for
cyclists?

Old November 30th 11, 12:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_33_]

wrote:

"Public transport operator First Group has joined forces with
Yorkshire-based cycle training provider Pedal Ready to provide cycle
awareness training to its drivers in Bradford and other towns and cities
throughout the region.

When is someone going to start running bus awareness courses for
cyclists?

Not necessary, the numbers of cyclists killed by buses is small and
most cyclists have a sense of self-preservation.

Guy
--
Guy Chapman, http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
The usenet price promise: all opinions are guaranteed