The Times publishes more than 4,000 personal accounts by cyclists of dangers they face on Britain's roads

Old February 9th 12, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default The Times publishes more than 4,000 personal accounts by cyclists of dangers they face on Britain's roads

QUOTE:
The Times newspaper, which launched its Cities Fit For Cycling campaign a
week ago today, has published an online app containing more than 4,000
first-hand accounts by cyclists throught the the UK in which the sentiment
echoed by many is the risk they feel they are exposed to by other road
users. The publication of the stories coincides with Prime Minister David
Cameron as well as senior Labour politicians giving their support to the
newspaper's initiative.

Mr Cameron, who before taking office at Number 10 Downing Street often
cycled to Westminster from his home in Kensington - on one occasion,
famously snapped being followed by his car - told The Times he was committed
to promoting cycling and making conditions safer, although whether his words
will translate into action by a government widely seen as favouring
motorists over those who choose to get around by other means remains to be
seen.

"As a keen cyclist, I congratulate The Times for drawing attention to this
issue," he said. "We want to encourage cycling as a cheaper, greener, more
healthy way of getting from place to place, and making people feel safe
cycling on the roads is crucial to that."

The Times reported that the Shadow Transport team had paid a visit to the
junction close to the newspaper's Wapping headquarters where journalist Mary
Bowers was struck by a lorry in November. She remains in a coma.

Shadow Transport Secretary Maria Eagle commented: "Even though there have
been big cuts to the Highways Agency budget, there is no reason why some of
that money ought not to be focused on building safe access and routes."

The newspaper has called for £100 million of the Agency's budget to be
diverted annually to fund cycling infrastructure, but to date Transport
Minister Mike Penning, who has responsibility for roads and road safety,
appears unwilling to reallocate funds, saying: ""We are already giving £1.8
billion to local councils over four years for transport improvements,
including measures for cyclists, as well as providing £560 million to
support local authorities specifically to use sustainable transport to
create growth and cut carbon."

As we reported yesterday, the issue of cycle safety is to be debated in
Westminster Hall in the Palace of Westminster on 23 February.

Meanwhile, the first-hand accounts published by The Times make for
compelling reading, many relating experiences that will be all too familiar
to those of us who choose to use a bike to get around. The app can be
accessed here, but a small selection appears below.

The Times said: "Your stories have been read by Times journalists to ensure
there are no breaches of the law or good taste. But otherwise they have not
been changed and appear as you have written them."

Alix
In London Bus drivers seem to be really quite aware of cyclists. Taxi
drivers are extremely aggressive on the other hand with a take no prisoners
type attitude. Disappointingly, motorcyclists can also be a real threat,
getting too close, cutting up and over and undertaking.

Andrew Austin
I cycle commute and have been hit by a car three times in the last 4
years - twice requiring an ambulance to take me to hospital. Near misses are
a daily occurance. Drivers frequently go through red lights, fail to stop at
islands (cause of my first crash) or undertake vehicles by going into bus
lanes without looking to see if it is clear.

Alan Harbord
I have been riding my bike to work and for pleasure for over 40 years. I
love the freedom and can't understand why more people don't use this simple
way to get about. I try to use cycle routes and paths but too often these
seem to have been designed by someone who has never been near a bike and
take strange and long routes, too often you suddenly find you are deposited
on a busy road and are fighting with the traffic. Like every cyclist I can
tell you about car and van drivers who have gone out of their way to try to
kill me. it seems ok to be able to use tons of metal to threaten someone on
a bike and yes, some do it on purpose! A campaign like this can only do
good, well done to the times.

Colin Rae
Man in Honda Civic 3 inches off my back wheel revving engine as loudly as
he could in order to bully me into letting him past at that very moment. Let
him past when lane widened and receive gesticulations from him and his lady.
I sail past at next junction. Never saw him again. Was it really worth the
headache?

Dr Phil Rice
I have commuted for 5 years, c. 40,000 miles covered. Knocked off once,
very early on. Always EITHER stay behind lorries/buses at junctions and
traffic lights OR get in front and STAY IN FRONT. Do not overtake unless you
can always be in front. Works for me. Concentrate at ALL times. Watch
pedestrians and become a real mind reader.

Adam Smith
I cycle to work every day and encounter as many bad cyclists as I do bad
drivers. Both need to be educated and greater awareness needs to be given to
safety.

Cherry Stewart
I am an enthusiastic road cyclist, I cycle competitively and for fitness.
Frequently when I am on my bike moving with traffic I feel at risk. Drivers
constantly get too close and drive too fast not allowing much for any kind
of human error. This is terrifying at times and on days requires a huge
amount of nerve to go out. Its a shame as I have two girls who enjoy the
sport but don't enjoy the experience of cycling in this country. As a family
we enjoy cycling in Holland where there is a big commitment to cycling
within their infrastructure. I would like to see the same priority given to
the cyclist here, more cycleways, more education on how to use them and
better education to drivers.

Andrew Parker
Suddenly your published opinion piece by Matthew Paris (December 2007)
ranting against cyclists and calling for piano wire to be strung across
cycle paths doesn't seem so funny, does it?

http://road.cc/content/news/52402-ti...-face-britains

--
Simon Mason

Old February 9th 12, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Default Drink too much? Live in Hull?

http://www.humber.nhs.uk/services/hu...cohol-team.htm

Old February 9th 12, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Airey Muff

Default boring drivel

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 20:58:55 +0000, Simon Mason drooled:

QUOTE:
The Times newspaper, which launched its Cities Fit For Cycling campaign
a week ago today, has published an online app containing more than 4,000
first-hand accounts by cyclists throught the the UK

All of them created by one knob head called Simon?

--
Airey
Old February 9th 12, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Parry

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 20:58:55 -0000, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

The Times newspaper, which launched its Cities Fit For Cycling campaign a
week ago today, has published an online app containing more than 4,000
first-hand accounts by cyclists throught the the UK in which the sentiment
echoed by many is the risk they feel they are exposed to by other road
users.

" hit by a car three times in the last 4 years - twice requiring an
ambulance to take me to hospital"

" I can tell you about car and van drivers who have gone out of their
way to try to kill me"

"terrifying at times and on days requires a huge amount of nerve to go
out"

I thought cycling was incredibly safe? The Times seems to have
delivered a valuable public service by alerting their readers to the
apparently enormous risks of cycling. I'm sure this publicity will
save countless injuries by deterring many from ever trying such an
obviously lethal pastime. As for parents - who in their right mind
would allow their child into such a hazardous battlefield?

Old February 10th 12, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Feb 9, 10:38*pm, Peter Parry wrote:
I thought cycling was incredibly safe? The Times seems to have
delivered a valuable public service by alerting their readers to the
apparently enormous risks of cycling. * I'm sure this publicity will
save countless injuries by deterring many from ever trying such an
obviously lethal pastime. *As for parents - *who in their right mind
would allow their child into such a hazardous battlefield?

80000 miles and one bust collarbone does not seem to be overly
dangerous to me.
You might be scared out there, but I'm not.

--
Simon Mason
Old February 10th 12, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

Default DeWalt DC100KA-GB 18V 1.3Ah Ni-Cd Cordless Combi Drill £99

DeWalt DC100KA-GB 18V 1.3Ah Ni-Cd Cordless Combi Drill

Powerful, exceptional value-for-money combi for drilling, hammer
drilling and screwdriving applications. Supplied with heavy duty carry case.
•2 x 1.3Ah Ni-Cd Batteries
•2-Speed Variable
•1hr Charger
•13mm Keyless Chuck
•17 Torque Settings
•Fan Cooled Motor
•Electric Brake
•Rubber-Coated Grip
•Replaceable Brushes

Product contents:
DC100, 2 x batteries, charger, carry case.

Specifications:
Max. drilling capacity in masonry 13mm, wood 38mm, steel 13mm. Max.
torque 44Nm. Overall length 225mm. Weight 2.16kg.

University

Old February 10th 12, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

That is why there is so little cycling, coupled with the fact that it
is almost mandatory for a teenager to try for a driving licence at the
earliest opportunity and when they can use their car-weapon they do so
with complete abandonment and with little chance of being properly
punished if they just happen to kill someone.

Some of us though still face such dangers with a smile and insist on
exercising what few rights we have to use a road amid highly dangerous
traffic and continue to campaign for greater road safety, which to my
mind has little to do with road layout and everything to do with
driver misbehaviour.

-- .
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

Old February 10th 12, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Feb 10, 8:49*am, Doug wrote:

Some of us though still face such dangers with a smile and insist on
exercising what few rights we have to use a road amid highly dangerous
traffic and continue to campaign for greater road safety, which to my
mind has little to do with road layout and everything to do with
driver misbehaviour.

I did not have much of a smile this morning riding through slush with
no mudguard on.
It was more of a grimace in fact.

--
Simon Mason

More than 600 drivers imprisoned for killing someone while drivingallowed back on Britain's roads Simon Mason[_4_] UK 12 January 27th 12 09:33 AM
Britain's roads are heading for gridlock, warns the RAC Foundation Simon Mason UK 16 December 17th 11 09:52 PM
dangers of rural roads wafflycat UK 48 May 18th 05 10:25 AM
Fairfax publishes cyclists view (at last) Mc Australia 5 April 25th 05 03:19 PM
Sunday Times: Death row: Britain's most dangerous road Sufaud UK 45 September 28th 04 09:06 PM