Internal geared BB and enclosed chain transmission mountain bike.

Old June 5th 16, 09:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Internal geared BB and enclosed chain transmission mountain bike.

On 06/06/16 01:02, Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, June 5, 2016 at 5:20:48 AM UTC+1, James wrote:
http://www.gizmag.com/nuseti-inner-d...in-bike/32914/

I looked at those twin rigid chainstays and my bum was hurting already. That bike will ride like a rock.

Wide and soft tyres will help.

You could add a sprung saddle.

--
JS
Old June 6th 16, 01:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Sunday, June 5, 2016 at 9:50:33 PM UTC+1, James wrote:
On 06/06/16 01:02, Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, June 5, 2016 at 5:20:48 AM UTC+1, James wrote:
http://www.gizmag.com/nuseti-inner-d...in-bike/32914/

I looked at those twin rigid chainstays and my bum was hurting already. That bike will ride like a rock.

Wide and soft tyres will help.

You could add a sprung saddle.

--
JS

The way those tubes are scaled, you'd need 6in thick foam on top of the sprung saddle to stop your coccyx being driven up into your throat and choking you. Of course, it's is a downhiller's bike, nothing to do with my kind of riding while conversing with interesting people.

Andre Jute
Others may compromise
Old June 6th 16, 02:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sun, 5 Jun 2016 11:08:26 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 6/5/2016 3:43 AM, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 04 Jun 2016 23:29:36 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Sun, 5 Jun 2016 14:20:43 +1000, James
wrote:

http://www.gizmag.com/nuseti-inner-d...in-bike/32914/

"US$3,415 will get you an IDS-equipped Nuseti frame, with $6,262
required for a complete bike."

Ouch.

What was it that J.P. Morgan was reputed to have said when asked about
the running costs of his yacht, "If you have to ask, you can't afford
it"? It apparently applies to bicycles also as the Litespeed Blade
goes for $40,788 and a sedate single speed lady's bike the Montante
Luxury Gold Collection goes for $46,000 and a Trek Madone 7 Diamond
goes for $75,000 and, of course, if you really are an aficionado there
is the Trek Butterfly Madone for a eye widening $500,000.

Yep. There's always more room at the top of the market.

There, apparently, is a bit of space at the bottom too as I recently
saw a "mountain bike", 7 speed, no rear suspension, disk brakes,
selling here for ~ US$128.00, and I believe that Amazon lists a
similar bike for about $350.

But, I've never seen anyone, here, brag about buying one :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 6th 16, 02:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sun, 05 Jun 2016 10:13:55 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

wrote:

http://www.gizmag.com/nuseti-inner-d...in-bike/32914/

"US$3,415 will get you an IDS-equipped Nuseti frame, with $6,262
required for a complete bike."

Ouch.

What was it that J.P. Morgan was reputed to have said when asked about
the running costs of his yacht, "If you have to ask, you can't afford
it"? It apparently applies to bicycles also as the Litespeed Blade
goes for $40,788 and a sedate single speed lady's bike the Montante
Luxury Gold Collection goes for $46,000 and a Trek Madone 7 Diamond
goes for $75,000 and, of course, if you really are an aficionado there
is the Trek Butterfly Madone for a eye widening $500,000.

One might suspect that there's some kind of competition for the most
expensive bicycle.

10 Outrageously Expensive Bikes
http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-and-gear-features/reviews/10-outrageously-expensive-bikes

List of Top Ten Most Expensive Bicycles in the World
http://www.mostluxuriouslist.com/top-ten-most-expensive-bicycles-in-the-world/

The most expensive mountain bikes on the planet
http://www.redbull.com/uk/en/bike/stories/1331752112140/the-most-expensive-mountain-bikes-on-the-planet

The World's 14 Most Expensive Bikes
http://www.theactivetimes.com/worlds-14-most-expensive-bikes

Etc...
https://www.google.com/#q=most+expensive+bicycle

I saw an article in one of the bicycle magazines titled "How to be a
cool cyclist", or some such thing, and it recommended that one should
not remove the price tag from his/her's new Oakley glasses. Sort of
"if you got 'em flaunt 'em".

It also mentioned an equally valuable fact that one could emboss one's
very own decoration, using pliers, on the little aluminum end gizzies
on the cables :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 6th 16, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

JS ?

DO you know of STYLEMAN ?
Old June 6th 16, 04:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 08:44:07 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I saw an article in one of the bicycle magazines titled "How to be a
cool cyclist", or some such thing, and it recommended that one should
not remove the price tag from his/her's new Oakley glasses. Sort of
"if you got 'em flaunt 'em".

There are alternative ideas of what constitutes a bicycle status
symbol. If you have money, the winner is whomever spends the most
money. If you're a cheap tightwad like myself, it's finding the
bargain. I'll confess to leaving the thrift shop price tag on one of
my machine until UV bleaching finally caused the label to fade. For
about 6 months, I had people asking me where did I get such a nice
bicycle for $25. Actually, it was missing the wheels, brakes, seat
post, saddle and a bunch of other stuff which I added later, but I
never mentioned that.

It also mentioned an equally valuable fact that one could emboss one's
very own decoration, using pliers, on the little aluminum end gizzies
on the cables :-)

Hardly. Nobody will ever see those, unless perhaps they were looking
for the logos. Besides, there are better ways to decorate a bicycle:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bicycle+decorations&tbm=isch

If you only want to attract attention, maybe one of these bicycles:
http://forum.atomiczombie.com/gallery/index.php

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old June 6th 16, 08:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

I saw an article in one of the bicycle magazines titled "How to be a
cool cyclist", or some such thing, and it recommended that one should
not remove the price tag from his/her's new Oakley glasses. Sort of
"if you got 'em flaunt 'em".

There are alternative ideas of what constitutes a bicycle status
symbol. If you have money, the winner is whomever spends the most
money. If you're a cheap tightwad like myself, it's finding the
bargain. I'll confess to leaving the thrift shop price tag on one of
my machine until UV bleaching finally caused the label to fade. For
about 6 months, I had people asking me where did I get such a nice
bicycle for $25. Actually, it was missing the wheels, brakes, seat
post, saddle and a bunch of other stuff which I added later, but I
never mentioned that.

You are lucky, the second hand bike shops in Bangkok sell whole
bicycles and rarely will sell parts. I did come across one shop that
had imported a number of aluminum road bike frames and was selling
those but his main business was entire bicycles.

It is my impression that someone imports container lots of used
bicycles from Japan (I believe) and distributes them to the second
hand shops who, if necessary, repair them enough to be ridden and
sells them.

I'm not down in that area frequently but when I have visited I seldom
find anything interesting although I did in, say the last 5 years, buy
a road bike with 26 x 1-3/8" wheels that I don't think that you can
find tires for any more, and more recently a (probably) 1950-something
Japanese road bike with a very light frame which both turned into
pretty nice bikes.

Old June 6th 16, 08:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

It is what it is, for normal people

Building generates respect

Owning a planetary cf...with belt drive..generates awe or aw...aw is more multidimensional

Now, if you built the planetary.

I drove a 544 as the Last 544. That generated a huge PITA.

My father coaxed a new new intro year deep copper Buick Riviera off the dealer...we went for a ride...we were in something like Short Hills n sloowly drove past an upscale uniformed boys academy during excess ...eeyahahaha funny.

THAT IS STYLEMAN
Old June 6th 16, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 14:20:15 +0700, John B.
wrote:

You are lucky, the second hand bike shops in Bangkok sell whole
bicycles and rarely will sell parts. I did come across one shop that
had imported a number of aluminum road bike frames and was selling
those but his main business was entire bicycles.

We have several local thrift shops. Most of them only sell complete
and rideable bicycles. However, one of them (now defunct) would sell
literally anything including parts. Over the years, I picked up about
5 assorted frames, all of which were partially cannibalized for parts.
I have no idea where they came from and the staff was not very
cooperative when I asked. I've also purchased some frames that needed
brazing, straightening, or painting, and were deemed unworthy of
repair. However, I don't do that any more as it's too time consuming
and I'm not very good at it.

We also have a bike shop of sorts run as a charity, commune,
collective, non-profit, or whatever:
http://bikechurch.santacruzhub.org
Most of what they have is junk, but they do sell used parts and
pieces. Frames are scarce as anything that's rideable is soon built
up into a complete bicycle and sold.

Old June 6th 16, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

We have a number of used bike stores -- regular commercial enterprises and charities, including the Community Cycling Center: http://www.communitycyclingcenter.or...s-accessories/

I've given those guys some really good stuff -- Campy track wheels, Phil hubs, etc. Let them make the profit.

City Bikes is unique: http://www.citybikes.coop/used-bike-parts/

It is both a bike shop and a beacon to the uncivilized world, much like the Oneida Community or Amana Colonies -- or Leningrad:

"Citybikes exists to provide a livelihood for our workers. We adhere to a non-hierarchical personnel structure that focuses on all workers taking responsibility for the business. Through cooperation, we hope to make our work enjoyable and to get our jobs done efficiently by utilizing each others strengths.

We believe a work force consisting of people from varied backgrounds provides us with the strongest foundation for the informed decision-making. Citybikes hires people on the basis of the shop’s need, with gender balance and diversity as goals. Citybikes is a resource for information of all kinds regarding cycling, bicycles and cooperative business structure."

I don't even understand the first sentence of the second paragraph. Perhaps they should diversify into good English. If you look at their hiring page (http://www.citybikes.coop/hiring/), one benefit of working there is "no traditional boses":

"Benefits:
Competitive wages based on experience
Generous employee rates on purchases
Health stipend and sick leave
No traditional bosses
Ownership track options/off-season potential
Ability to learn different areas of a bike shop rather than stick to one role

Citybikes strives to have an environment in which any cooperator can work in a safe and accepting environment, free from prejudice and/or discrimination of a person’s race, color, ancestry, place of origin, political beliefs, religion, martial status, family status, physical disability including HIV and AIDS, mental disability, sex, gender, sexual orientation, or age, or otherwise. Individuals who identify as people of color, women, trans, and/or non-binary are strongly encouraged to apply."

I much prefer working with non-binary individuals, except, of course, when I'm looking for help with my computer or smart phone. Bicycles are more analog, so non-binary individuals probably make good mechanics. I wonder if they feel constrained by torque wrenches. They are so didactic, so judgmental -- so binary. I wonder if "chain whip" is a trigger word? How about "saddle" or "grease my crank"?

-- Jay Beattie.
Owner of 100% vegan saddle.