Kit and Traffic

Old May 4th 20, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Kit and Traffic

One thing that bothers me most especially with MTB riders that are riding on the streets is that many of them are wearing garb the color of asphalt and cars coming up at high speed from behind are more than occasionally caught off guard and sharply swerve around them.

I have always worn brightly colored kit and continue to do so. And you can tell the difference by the sound of the traffic approaching from behind. Except for people driving much faster than the speed limit, I don't have any problems with people seeing me and slowing if necessary or moving over to pass where clear. Around here we have more than a few roads where two way traffic and a bike cannot exist on the same stretch of road so being clearly visible prevents endangering everyone on the road.
Old May 4th 20, 04:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sun, 03 May 2020 16:38:07 -0700, cyclintom wrote:

One thing that bothers me most especially with MTB riders that are
riding on the streets is that many of them are wearing garb the color of
asphalt and cars coming up at high speed from behind are more than
occasionally caught off guard and sharply swerve around them.

I have always worn brightly colored kit and continue to do so.

Naah everyone wears hi-vis these days, so it is just general back ground.
If you want to stand out in the traffic, fit one of those wobbly orange
flags.
Old May 4th 20, 06:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Mon, 4 May 2020 03:24:52 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Sun, 03 May 2020 16:38:07 -0700, cyclintom wrote:

One thing that bothers me most especially with MTB riders that are
riding on the streets is that many of them are wearing garb the color of
asphalt and cars coming up at high speed from behind are more than
occasionally caught off guard and sharply swerve around them.

I have always worn brightly colored kit and continue to do so.

Naah everyone wears hi-vis these days, so it is just general back ground.
If you want to stand out in the traffic, fit one of those wobbly orange
flags.

I've told this story before but some years ago I was on the bike and a
guy wearing knee length orange stockings passed me. It was on a long
straight length of road and I could still see those orange legs going
up and down when he was a half kilometer away.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 4th 20, 06:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

wrote:

On Sun, 03 May 2020 16:38:07 -0700, cyclintom wrote:

One thing that bothers me most especially with MTB riders that are
riding on the streets is that many of them are wearing garb the color
of asphalt and cars coming up at high speed from behind are more than
occasionally caught off guard and sharply swerve around them.

I have always worn brightly colored kit and continue to do so.

Naah everyone wears hi-vis these days, so it is just general back
ground.
If you want to stand out in the traffic, fit one of those wobbly orange
flags.

I've told this story before but some years ago I was on the bike and a
guy wearing knee length orange stockings passed me. It was on a long
straight length of road and I could still see those orange legs going up
and down when he was a half kilometer away.

How long ago was this?
It might have been me, but my pair wore out decades ago.

These days, all the long socks are polyester and only available in
"football" team colours. YMMV.
I always found them very helpful for heat regulation on inclement rides.

Old May 4th 20, 07:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

I'm guessing but probably 3 or 4 years ago in Bangkok.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 4th 20, 09:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

Long socks are very useful in cooler weather as the socks can be pulled up over the lower pant legs thus keeping the pant legs out of the chain and/or off of the chainring.

Cheers
Old May 4th 20, 09:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

Cooler weather in Bangkok is when the temperature drops below 30
degrees(C) :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

You’re not stuck in traffic, you are the traffic Simon Mason[_6_] UK 7 January 21st 20 02:59 PM
Traffic Davey Crockett[_5_] Racing 0 April 22nd 13 04:05 AM
Web Traffic jessysmith Racing 0 August 15th 09 01:09 PM
Traffic Citations & Traffic Cops Freddie Mountain Biking 0 March 23rd 06 05:02 AM
How was the traffic? TimC Australia 0 October 5th 05 01:59 AM