Mavic in receivership

Old May 9th 20, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

Default Mavic in receivership

Didn't see that one coming.

Mark J.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mav...tery-takeover/

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/mavic-...in-france.html
Old May 9th 20, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, May 8, 2020 at 5:05:45 PM UTC-7, Mark J. wrote:
Didn't see that one coming.

Mark J.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mav...tery-takeover/

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/mavic-...in-france.html

Hey, how much do you have on you? I have some leftover Euros from my trip to France last year. Let's buy it! Or even better, just pretend to buy it!

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 9th 20, 10:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/8/2020 5:05 PM, Mark J. wrote:
Didn't see that one coming.

Mark J.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mav...tery-takeover/

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/mavic-...in-france.html

Nearly two years ago the previous owner stated "Mavic's legacy aluminum
wheel business weighing down Amer's cycling results."

You can't survive selling mainly high-cost, limited volume, products
when you have all the manufacturing capacity.
Old May 9th 20, 02:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

On Fri, 8 May 2020 17:34:27 -0700 (PDT),
jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, May 8, 2020 at 5:05:45 PM UTC-7, Mark J. wrote:
Didn't see that one coming.

Mark J.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mav...tery-takeover/

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/mavic-...in-france.html

Hey, how much do you have on you? I have some leftover Euros
from my trip to France last year. Let's buy it! Or even better,
just pretend to buy it!

I've got about a hundred Euros left from my Feb conference in
Belgium. I'm in!

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old May 9th 20, 03:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 2:45:48 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 5/8/2020 5:05 PM, Mark J. wrote:
Didn't see that one coming.

Mark J.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mav...tery-takeover/

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/mavic-...in-france.html

Nearly two years ago the previous owner stated "Mavic's legacy aluminum
wheel business weighing down Amer's cycling results."

You can't survive selling mainly high-cost, limited volume, products
when you have all the manufacturing capacity.

Do you have any idea that Mavic supplied over half of the high end aluminum wheel business? People STILL prefer aluminum wheels for any number of reasons and you can make an aluminum wheel lighter than a carbon fiber wheel unless you want to take unwarranted chances with those CF wheels. CF spoke tension has to be at least that of an AL wheel and that can pull a spoke nipple through. There are means to avoid that but I haven't seen it on any of even the high end CF wheels.

So whoever has Mavic has a very popular Kyserium line of wheels. They have to upgrade to aluminum aero wheels - China is already doing that but the designs aren't quite correct and Fulcrum does know how they should be built.

The Chinese have essentially taken over the CF deep section wheel business. Anyone that is paying $1,500 to save 100 grams is pretty stupid. That leaves the market wide open for the many advantages of AL aero wheels. Better spoke tension, better braking, less chance of burning off the brake track under hard braking. Disk brakes will not end up taking over. Direct mount rim brakes will.

Does the bicycle industry intend to hand the wheel making business over to the Chinese after having built them the automatic spoke tensioners so that there is no labor left in building wheels?
Old May 9th 20, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 5/8/2020 5:34 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, May 8, 2020 at 5:05:45 PM UTC-7, Mark J. wrote:
Didn't see that one coming.

Mark J.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mav...tery-takeover/

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/mavic-...in-france.html

Hey, how much do you have on you? I have some leftover Euros from my trip to France last year. Let's buy it! Or even better, just pretend to buy it!

-- Jay Beattie.

I suppose it could be a real bargain, but this is a tricky time to be
making major industrial investments. Still, bike sales are up. Hmmm...

We could bring back the MA-2 and rename the company rec.MAVIC.tech!

Mark J.
Old May 9th 20, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, May 8, 2020 at 5:05:45 PM UTC-7, Mark J. wrote:
Didn't see that one coming.

Mark J.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mav...tery-takeover/

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/mavic-...in-france.html

Hey, how much do you have on you? I have some leftover Euros
from my trip to France last year. Let's buy it! Or even better,
just pretend to buy it!

I've got about a hundred Euros left from my Feb conference in
Belgium. I'm in!

I've got only a couple dozen in a drawer someplace. I try to spend them
down before returning home. But I'll buy a share!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 9th 20, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 9:01:14 AM UTC-5, wrote:

[...]

Sort of replying to the person who wrote this. And sort of not as well. Mavic's business is gone. So bankruptcy is not surprising. Mavic wheels are similar to car tires and car batteries. Essential parts. But 99.9% of car buyers and car drivers have no idea what brand or model of tire or battery they have in their car. And don't really care as long as it works. Same as bicycle wheels. If the Chinese can make the wheels for half the price as Mavic, they get all the business. And Mavic gets zero.

Now, with car tires there are special tires that are craved. Not sure about batteries. But tires yes. And carbon bicycle wheels fill that spot. Mavic does not have any competition for this elite place. So some of the carbon wheel makers can thrive making the special wheels that people willing pay for. And there are some car tires that go on Ferrari and Mclaren and such cars.
Old May 9th 20, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 9:27:02 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Russell, what I was saying is that Mavic's business is not gone. The Kyserium is one of the most popular wheels sold today. Why would you think that people would be willing to pay $2,000 for a pair of Zip wheels instead of $300 for a pair of Kyseriums? If you try riding them you can barely tell the difference. Certainly up to amateur racers you can't tell the difference unless like me you descend at very high speed. Mavic shoes are very high quality and moderate pricing. Mavic has been making framesets for a long time but not advertising them.

I'm sure that someone could make a real go of them. And making aluminum deep section aero rims would steal a great deal of the carbon fiber wheels market away. Have you used carbon fiber wheels with rim brakes? Are you aware of the engineering nightmare of disk brakes?

All in all Mavic should be in a very good position but perhaps the union problems in France are what killed them?
Old May 10th 20, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 1:33:16 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

A $300 Ksyrium/set (note spelling) doesn't exist. https://www.westernbikeworks.com/sea...d=mma&fcat=ccw The Aksium is in the $300 range/set, and it's OE crap. Anyone can build an aluminum OE wheel as good, and Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, etc. did.

So, if the OE market goes away, that leaves Mavic competing in the after-market, and when you think of top-notch aftermarket wheels, Mavic is like fourth in line at the same price point. And when the parent company owns Enve, the maker of great high-dollar after-market wheels, Mavic is the ugly cousin that gets sold off. I'm sure the deal was highly leveraged, and when OE sales flagged, the new owners probably bailed. They'll probably try to recoup losses by selling brands, equipment, etc., and then Shin Dong Wheels will become the new Mavic. Put a set on your Chinarello.

-- Jay Beattie.