Ambushed !

Old May 10th 20, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default Ambushed !

On Sat, 09 May 2020 12:00:34 -0700, sms wrote:

On 5/9/2020 10:52 AM, Tosspot wrote:

snip

Too fast if you ask me.Â* Even unloaded, with Magura MT5s, you can stop
both wheels going around and the rest is physics, even at 20kph type
speeds.Â* Get up to 25, load it up, and those brakes do ****all if you
grab a handful.

I've been using my trailer for cargo. With a $10 trailer hitch per bike
I prefer it to a cargo bike. Last time I used it was for delivering
masks to senior living facilities.

2 wheel or one wheel trailer?
What hitch do you have?

Old May 10th 20, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Sat, 9 May 2020 14:53:05 +0200, Tosspot
wrote:

I took precautions, varied my route and times, changed modes of
transport, thought I was safe, and BANG the BuyMe Monkeys came out of
deep cover. This;

http://larryvsharry.com/wp-content/u..._clockwork.png

Plus this

https://pendix.com/products/product/pendix-edrive300

So the mechanics are done, just in time for the rain, will add the
battery and sensors tomorrow.

Watch this space, or more likely, read about it in tomorrows papers...

Egad! You've invented the motor cycle! :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 10th 20, 08:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 09/05/2020 21:00, sms wrote:
On 5/9/2020 10:52 AM, Tosspot wrote:

snip

Too fast if you ask me.Â* Even unloaded, with Magura MT5s, you can stop
both wheels going around and the rest is physics, even at 20kph type
speeds.Â* Get up to 25, load it up, and those brakes do ****all if you
grab a handful.

I've been using my trailer for cargo. With a $10 trailer hitch per bike
I prefer it to a cargo bike. Last time I used it was for delivering
masks to senior living facilities.

I used a trailer for years (even 10?) and they are a good option.
Especially with a high hitch you can use the trailer as a trolley while
shopping, but they are very draggy, and I've tipped one over. Vfm,
can't be beaten though.
Old May 10th 20, 08:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

wrote:

I took precautions, varied my route and times, changed modes of
transport, thought I was safe, and BANG the BuyMe Monkeys came out of
deep cover. This;

http://larryvsharry.com/wp-content/u..._clockwork.png

Plus this

https://pendix.com/products/product/pendix-edrive300

So the mechanics are done, just in time for the rain, will add the
battery and sensors tomorrow.

Watch this space, or more likely, read about it in tomorrows papers...

Egad! You've invented the motor cycle! :-)

narrows eyes Don't give up the day job...

Tbf, in terms of personal transport, a 125 Twist'n'Go could be haddor
less. Shocking really as the batteries won't last forever.
Old May 10th 20, 09:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

I took precautions, varied my route and times, changed modes of
transport, thought I was safe, and BANG the BuyMe Monkeys came out of
deep cover. This;

http://larryvsharry.com/wp-content/u..._clockwork.png

Plus this

https://pendix.com/products/product/pendix-edrive300

So the mechanics are done, just in time for the rain, will add the
battery and sensors tomorrow.

Watch this space, or more likely, read about it in tomorrows papers...

Egad! You've invented the motor cycle! :-)

narrows eyes Don't give up the day job...

Tbf, in terms of personal transport, a 125 Twist'n'Go could be haddor
less. Shocking really as the batteries won't last forever.

But, on the other hand, you never need to fill the tank with, what is
it now? $2.00 a gallon gasoline?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 10th 20, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 3:40:41 AM UTC-5, John B. wrote:

But, on the other hand, you never need to fill the tank with, what is
it now? $2.00 a gallon gasoline?
--
cheers,

John B.

$1.50 a gallon in the middle of Iowa. Within the past month its been around $1 gallon.
Old May 10th 20, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 8:43:51 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 3:40:41 AM UTC-5, John B. wrote:

But, on the other hand, you never need to fill the tank with, what is
it now? $2.00 a gallon gasoline?
--
cheers,

John B.

$1.50 a gallon in the middle of Iowa. Within the past month its been around $1 gallon.

No kidding! Gads, it's still expensive in the PNW. We have no local refining and high taxes, so a big chunk of the price would remain even if oil were zero, which it was. I haven't put gas in my car for a month, but I only use it for trips or going skiing -- rarely commuting. I think my wife has put gas in her car maybe three weeks ago. With the plague, demand has plummeted, and the price crash isn't stimulating demand. I'm sure it will skyrocket when everyone goes back to work.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 10th 20, 05:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/9/2020 8:13 PM, news18 wrote:
On Sat, 09 May 2020 12:00:34 -0700, sms wrote:

On 5/9/2020 10:52 AM, Tosspot wrote:

snip

Too fast if you ask me.Â* Even unloaded, with Magura MT5s, you can stop
both wheels going around and the rest is physics, even at 20kph type
speeds.Â* Get up to 25, load it up, and those brakes do ****all if you
grab a handful.

I've been using my trailer for cargo. With a $10 trailer hitch per bike
I prefer it to a cargo bike. Last time I used it was for delivering
masks to senior living facilities.

2 wheel or one wheel trailer?
What hitch do you have?

I have a two-wheeled trailer towed by my Bike Friday. It was originally
intended to tow the suitcase that carries the bike for airline travel,
but I've built a platform, crate, etc. that allows me to haul quite a
lot of stuff - for example, two kids bikes to allow them to ride home
from school.

Bike Friday's hitch is a repurposed quick connect used for air hoses.
The left dropout has a threaded boss that accepts the male end of the
quick connect. The trailer tongue has a short length of air hose plus
the female connector. This gives the necessary flexibility in all
directions.

I've read of people eventually having to replace the hose section, but
the setup seems to work very well. I've used it for years.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 10th 20, 06:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/10/2020 12:14 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Our neighborhood is running about $1.60 per gallon right now. I filled
up about two days ago. Like Jay, that was my first time in over a month.

About a week ago, a friend invited us to come ride from her house.
(Usually she rides with us from our house.) So for the first time this
year the bikes and their rack were installed on the roof of the car.

It kind of disappointed me. Partly because it was a very windy day, the
bikes on the roof knocked my mileage down to something like 35 miles per
gallon. Usually it gets around 40.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 10th 20, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 10:12:29 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Dude, two words: hitch rack. https://tinyurl.com/ydgpxsvf Yakima. It's the best, and true or not, that's policy.

-- Jay Beattie.