A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Bonking + Bicycles

Old May 26th 20, 02:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]
external usenet poster

Default Bonking + Bicycles

Mark Cleary wrote:
I have and takes 24 hours of nothing but rest, food and liquids. 1989
Chicago Marathon I ran whole way in 3:23 and it was hot 80 degrees in sun
last 8 miles. I sat down at the end and could not get back up. I tried to
stand and it all when white buzz. A friend found me and gave me a regular
coke to drink. Within minutes got up and got to car drove home.

I of course was 30 years younger at the time. To this day I never stop
and eat except on century I am pushing for time. I don’t even take water
for 50 miles unless hot. I good for 59-70 but can bonk if I am low on
fuel. No matter what a 28/34 gear is not easy.

Moral is probably fuel sugar coke ok!

Deacon Mark

Like I said, I Earp gels riding. Maybe a cliff bar in the middle if the
rides long enough. Riding for 50 miles with no liquid? That’s probably
not a good idea. On an 85km ride I’d do a couple water bottles at least.

Ads
Old May 26th 20, 04:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson
external usenet poster

On Sat, 23 May 2020 16:07:50 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

Have any of you been on a ride where you've bonked to the point that every single pedal stroke no matter how low a gear you're in or how calm the winds are, feels like it's all you can do to get that crankarm past the 12 0'clock position?

If so, how long did it take you to recover so that you were able to ride at your normal pace again?

If you ate soon after bonking, how long did it take you to then recover enough to ride further?

Twarn't bonking, but I got that feeling every time I climbed out of
the Mohawk valley while leaving Schenectady on my way home to just
beyond Voorheesville. I knew that if I stopped to rest, I'd be unable
to get back onto the bike, and it was a long walk, so I put all my
attention on pulling each pedal up, pressing down on the other only
enough to keep my balance, and put my mind into eternal mode: no
before, no after, no end to the climb, just pull one more, one more,
one more time.

Once out of the valley, I had no more difficulty even though there
were many more hills.

When I got the bonk, I had no trouble riding. I was hungry, but
wanted to minimize the time one of my companions had to lean on the
handlebars, so by the time I stopped at an intersection to grab a
mouthful of dried fruit, it was too little, too late.

We arrived in fine fettle, and if I'd eaten something at once, I'd
have been all right, but I didn't know I had the bonk and politely
waited until dinner was ready.

When the first course arrived, it smelled of beef, there was tomato in
it, and little spots of grease floated on top. I stared at it
thinking that there was no way I could tell my sister that her soup
was disgusting. Luckily, the guest sitting across from me had seen
the signs before. He told them to feed me a banana and make me lie
down.

A few seconds later I heard someone moving around in the parlor where
I was lying on the sofa, then my sister said "She has moved, I guess
she's alive."

When I finally woke up, I was as right as rain, and I believe that the
following day or the day after that was the first time we rode a
hundred miles.

But I never did get to see the big boar everybody else went to look at
while I was out.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Old May 26th 20, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 4:49:00 PM UTC-7, Mark Cleary wrote:
I have and takes 24 hours of nothing but rest, food and liquids. 1989 Chicago Marathon I ran whole way in 3:23 and it was hot 80 degrees in sun last 8 miles. I sat down at the end and could not get back up. I tried to stand and it all when white buzz. A friend found me and gave me a regular coke to drink. Within minutes got up and got to car drove home.

I of course was 30 years younger at the time. To this day I never stop and eat except on century I am pushing for time. I don’t even take water for 50 miles unless hot. I good for 59-70 but can bonk if I am low on fuel. No matter what a 28/34 gear is not easy.

Deacon Mark

I often do 50 miles or more without drinking water. I realize that probably isn't a good thing but it is habit not to drink especially now that I have no balance and cannot take my eyes off of the visual horizon or lose my balance.

On centuries I have to force myself to stop at the rest stop and eat at least something. And then at the end eat the prepared meals. That keeps me from the exhaustion I experience on my training rides leading up to the event.
Old May 26th 20, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 6:53:44 PM UTC-7, Duane wrote:
Mark Cleary wrote:
I have and takes 24 hours of nothing but rest, food and liquids. 1989
Chicago Marathon I ran whole way in 3:23 and it was hot 80 degrees in sun
last 8 miles. I sat down at the end and could not get back up. I tried to
stand and it all when white buzz. A friend found me and gave me a regular
coke to drink. Within minutes got up and got to car drove home.

I of course was 30 years younger at the time. To this day I never stop
and eat except on century I am pushing for time. I don’t even take water
for 50 miles unless hot. I good for 59-70 but can bonk if I am low on
fuel. No matter what a 28/34 gear is not easy.

Deacon Mark

Like I said, I Earp gels riding. Maybe a cliff bar in the middle if the
rides long enough. Riding for 50 miles with no liquid? That’s probably
not a good idea. On an 85km ride I’d do a couple water bottles at least.

The period of time that a gel works for me is so short that I simply don't use them.
Old May 26th 20, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 8:07:48 PM UTC-7, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Sat, 23 May 2020 16:07:50 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

Have any of you been on a ride where you've bonked to the point that every single pedal stroke no matter how low a gear you're in or how calm the winds are, feels like it's all you can do to get that crankarm past the 12 0'clock position?

If so, how long did it take you to recover so that you were able to ride at your normal pace again?

If you ate soon after bonking, how long did it take you to then recover enough to ride further?

Twarn't bonking, but I got that feeling every time I climbed out of
the Mohawk valley while leaving Schenectady on my way home to just
beyond Voorheesville. I knew that if I stopped to rest, I'd be unable
to get back onto the bike, and it was a long walk, so I put all my
attention on pulling each pedal up, pressing down on the other only
enough to keep my balance, and put my mind into eternal mode: no
before, no after, no end to the climb, just pull one more, one more,
one more time.

Once out of the valley, I had no more difficulty even though there
were many more hills.

When I got the bonk, I had no trouble riding. I was hungry, but
wanted to minimize the time one of my companions had to lean on the
handlebars, so by the time I stopped at an intersection to grab a
mouthful of dried fruit, it was too little, too late.

We arrived in fine fettle, and if I'd eaten something at once, I'd
have been all right, but I didn't know I had the bonk and politely
waited until dinner was ready.

When the first course arrived, it smelled of beef, there was tomato in
it, and little spots of grease floated on top. I stared at it
thinking that there was no way I could tell my sister that her soup
was disgusting. Luckily, the guest sitting across from me had seen
the signs before. He told them to feed me a banana and make me lie
down.

A few seconds later I heard someone moving around in the parlor where
I was lying on the sofa, then my sister said "She has moved, I guess
she's alive."

When I finally woke up, I was as right as rain, and I believe that the
following day or the day after that was the first time we rode a
hundred miles.

But I never did get to see the big boar everybody else went to look at
while I was out.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

I did a 65 mile ride training for a metric century. At the end of it I got on Bay Area Rapid Transit train for the ride under the bay and back to my station a mile and a half from my home.

They announced that the track was closed at West Oakland which was an addition 20 miles from home. I took off riding and got 3/4s of the way home and had a flat. Repaired that and was very tired when I got to my normal BART station and had another flat. I didn't have to will power to fix it again and called my wife to come and get me.

I could not eat any of the way on that ride except 25 miles from the start. And there I had a pastry and coffee. All of the 7-11's the rest of the way had Hispanic gangs out in front of them and I was on my Colnago which is irreplaceable so I didn't stop. I was riding only 10 mph before my last flat.. And if I had taken a slightly different route it would have been on cleaner road and I would have been able to make it home. But I guess I was so tired my judgement was impaired.

I find that if you drink a Red Bull it digests and gets into your bloodstream very rapidly. But equally it doesn't last very long. And my pockets are always full so I can't take one with me. Propel in the water bottles seems counter-productive since it is a very slow source of energy and it doesn't seem to work well for hydration.
Old May 26th 20, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I always laugh and chuckle when people yip and yap about bonking and running out of sugar. Ha Ha. Just people making up nonsense. Unless you are a Type 1 diabetic, or maybe maybe Type 2 also, you cannot get a low blood sugar. The human body does not allow blood sugars to fall very low. The Islets of Langerhans inside the pancreas produce the hormone insulin. This is injected into the blood stream and works with the glucose in the blood to keep the blood sugar at a fairly constant level. No matter how much you exercise and no matter how much or little you eat, the non-diabetic body is excellent at regulating the blood sugar to keep blood sugar at a very constant normal level. Your blood sugar does not go up and down in a non-diabetic.. Blood sugar going up and down is similar to a person saying they stopped their heart from beating for a minute or two. Do you believe people can manually control whether their heart beats? If you do then you likely will also believe your blood sugar goes up and down.

On Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 6:07:52 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Cheers

Old May 26th 20, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 10:24:14 PM UTC+2, wrote:
I always laugh and chuckle when people yip and yap about bonking and running out of sugar. Ha Ha. Just people making up nonsense. Unless you are a Type 1 diabetic, or maybe maybe Type 2 also, you cannot get a low blood sugar. The human body does not allow blood sugars to fall very low. The Islets of Langerhans inside the pancreas produce the hormone insulin. This is injected into the blood stream and works with the glucose in the blood to keep the blood sugar at a fairly constant level. No matter how much you exercise and no matter how much or little you eat, the non-diabetic body is excellent at regulating the blood sugar to keep blood sugar at a very constant normal level. Your blood sugar does not go up and down in a non-diabetic. Blood sugar going up and down is similar to a person saying they stopped their heart from beating for a minute or two. Do you believe people can manually control whether their heart beats? If you do then you likely will also believe your blood sugar goes up and down.

And what causes the symptoms we call bonking and go away when we eat sugary food. Or does this also not happen?

Lou
Lou
Old May 26th 20, 10:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 5/26/2020 3:24 PM, wrote:
I always laugh and chuckle when people yip and yap about bonking and running out of sugar. Ha Ha. Just people making up nonsense. Unless you are a Type 1 diabetic, or maybe maybe Type 2 also, you cannot get a low blood sugar. The human body does not allow blood sugars to fall very low. The Islets of Langerhans inside the pancreas produce the hormone insulin. This is injected into the blood stream and works with the glucose in the blood to keep the blood sugar at a fairly constant level. No matter how much you exercise and no matter how much or little you eat, the non-diabetic body is excellent at regulating the blood sugar to keep blood sugar at a very constant normal level. Your blood sugar does not go up and down in a non-diabetic. Blood sugar going up and down is similar to a person saying they stopped their heart from beating for a minute or two. Do you believe people can manually control whether their heart beats? If you do then you likely will also believe your bl

ood sugar goes up and down.

Cheers

Good to know. I didn't ascribe a pathway to my
once-only-in-a-lifetime-of-riding event. Whatever happened,
it was sudden and debilitating, as much physical as mental
in that my brain was not working right.

So what is that pathway? In my case, in cool wet weather
with sustained effort for a few hours, I just ran out of
something (if not everything).

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old May 26th 20, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 2:18:40 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 10:24:14 PM UTC+2, wrote:
I always laugh and chuckle when people yip and yap about bonking and running out of sugar. Ha Ha. Just people making up nonsense. Unless you are a Type 1 diabetic, or maybe maybe Type 2 also, you cannot get a low blood sugar. The human body does not allow blood sugars to fall very low. The Islets of Langerhans inside the pancreas produce the hormone insulin. This is injected into the blood stream and works with the glucose in the blood to keep the blood sugar at a fairly constant level. No matter how much you exercise and no matter how much or little you eat, the non-diabetic body is excellent at regulating the blood sugar to keep blood sugar at a very constant normal level. Your blood sugar does not go up and down in a non-diabetic. Blood sugar going up and down is similar to a person saying they stopped their heart from beating for a minute or two. Do you believe people can manually control whether their heart beats? If you do then you likely will also believe your blood sugar goes up and down.

And what causes the symptoms we call bonking and go away when we eat sugary food. Or does this also not happen?

Bonk is the exhaustion of glycogen in the muscles and liver. Without the liver storage you can get all of the insulin that your body can produce and the blood glycogen levels will be below normal.

You would normally replenish your stores with a carbohydrate heavy diet however, on the road you are best to use fruits like oranges, bananas and berries which contain more accessible glycogen that can bring you back pretty rapidly. Energy bars of some types are also good - those with peanuts or other nuts and fruit in them. Most of these do not produce rapid energy replenishment and you have to experiment to know how often you have to eat one and how long before you can feel the effects.

Contrary to Russell's outlook, bonk IS the exhaustion of your glycogen storage from either riding too hard to digest any carbohydrates in your stomach or none at all. Another source is the storage of fat in your body. This is a very slow process though and complete bonk can take a couple of days to recover only by fat processing. As I'm sure everyone here is aware of - it is extremely difficult to ride extra weight off without dieting.

As you intimate - if you haven't bonked you haven't ridden hard.
Old May 26th 20, 10:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 2:40:48 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/26/2020 3:24 PM, wrote:
I always laugh and chuckle when people yip and yap about bonking and running out of sugar. Ha Ha. Just people making up nonsense. Unless you are a Type 1 diabetic, or maybe maybe Type 2 also, you cannot get a low blood sugar. The human body does not allow blood sugars to fall very low. The Islets of Langerhans inside the pancreas produce the hormone insulin. This is injected into the blood stream and works with the glucose in the blood to keep the blood sugar at a fairly constant level. No matter how much you exercise and no matter how much or little you eat, the non-diabetic body is excellent at regulating the blood sugar to keep blood sugar at a very constant normal level. Your blood sugar does not go up and down in a non-diabetic. Blood sugar going up and down is similar to a person saying they stopped their heart from beating for a minute or two. Do you believe people can manually control whether their heart beats? If you do then you likely will also believe your bl

ood sugar goes up and down.

Cheers

Good to know. I didn't ascribe a pathway to my
once-only-in-a-lifetime-of-riding event. Whatever happened,
it was sudden and debilitating, as much physical as mental
in that my brain was not working right.

So what is that pathway? In my case, in cool wet weather
with sustained effort for a few hours, I just ran out of
something (if not everything).

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

For the last couple of weeks I have felt pretty weak and get tired very easily. It sure isn't because I'm not eating enough. But then I remember that last year I was tired all the time as well and then suddenly I was riding well. This lasted for several months before the onset of winter.