What a waste

Old June 14th 20, 06:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default What a waste

On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 03:18:23 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

At 70 lbs, I can see why no one would want to steal them.
Andy

Here's a 2018 article that covers a few of the design considerations:
"How Jump Designed a Global Electric Bike"
https://www.wired.com/story/how-jump-designed-a-global-electric-bike/
It seems that the bicycle was designed primarily for urban commuting
and to be litigation and vandal proof. Everything else, such as
range, comfort, weight, etc seems to have been a lower priority. From
what little I know, a really heavy machine might have been a design
requirement to deter grab and go theft.

I don't know exactly what they were thinking, but red paint is not a
good color if they expected longevity. Red paint fades badly in the
sun:
"How Does the Sun Damage Car Paint?"
https://www.azsunblock.com/how-does-the-sun-damage-car-paint/
Clear coating helps, but doesn't eliminate the problem.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old June 14th 20, 08:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Yes, that can be true, but in modern paint systems, 'high
solids' clears are very UV block now.

https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2...uv-protection/

Note carbon UV protection discussed in link.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 15th 20, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

At 70 lbs, I can see why no one would want to steal them.
Andy

Here's a 2018 article that covers a few of the design considerations:
"How Jump Designed a Global Electric Bike"
https://www.wired.com/story/how-jump-designed-a-global-electric-bike/
It seems that the bicycle was designed primarily for urban commuting
and to be litigation and vandal proof.Â* Everything else, such as
range, comfort, weight, etc seems to have been a lower priority.Â* From
what little I know, a really heavy machine might have been a design
requirement to deter grab and go theft.

I don't know exactly what they were thinking, but red paint is not a
good color if they expected longevity.Â* Red paint fades badly in the
sun:
"How Does the Sun Damage Car Paint?"
https://www.azsunblock.com/how-does-the-sun-damage-car-paint/
Clear coating helps, but doesn't eliminate the problem.

Yes, that can be true, but in modern paint systems, 'high solids' clears
are very UV block now.

https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2...uv-protection/

Note carbon UV protection discussed in link.

Our Mazda's color is Soul Red, a three layer paint job that's quite
beautiful. (I pick the cars, my wife picks the colors.)

I sure hope it's UV stable.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 15th 20, 12:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

With the current trendy fashion to UV everywhere (for the
Wuhan virus) you may get to find out.

Old June 15th 20, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

Well of course we drive Honda's (a much more up-market vehicle than a
Mazda :-) and we have bought a new car approximately every ten years
and for that period, in a tropical country, we have noticed no fading
of the paint on any of our cars. I will admit, though, that my 25
year old pickup is getting a bit dull :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 15th 20, 03:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Mazda does have a very nice batch of red paint recently.

Old June 15th 20, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Here in the U.S. there seemed to be a period in which the car paint was
nowhere near durable. Maybe the 1980s? I haven't paid attention to
details, but it's not hard to find old cars whose paint looks like
someone's skin a week after a sun burn, peeling in large patches.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 15th 20, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Apparently it's expensive to fix. Some guy dinged our plastic front
bumper in a parking lot. He left a note with his and his insurance
company's info. The insurance company said he called them and admitted
fault, and they'll pay 100% of the repair.

When I took it to a body shop, the manager's first words were about the
flashy paint. He said it's expensive to repair.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 15th 20, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

Could be. Didn't California once mandate only water based paints,
perhaps still do? But I grew up with Model A Fords and when they
"died" a 1936 Chevy and as I remember there wasn't any problem with
paint fading. Well, of course I grew up in up-state New Hampshire...
perhaps that might have had something to do with it :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 15th 20, 04:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

Our Mazda's color is Soul Red, a three layer paint job that's quite
beautiful. (I pick the cars, my wife picks the colors.)

If you want your Mazda soul red crystal or metallic paint to last as
long as "Number 90 Red" on a fire engine, here's the process:

"The Optimal 7-Step Fire Truck Painting Process"
https://www.piercemfg.com/pierce/blog/fire-truck-painting-process

Notice that the last step is 2 coats of clear coat followed by baking
two hrs at 160F. The process takes one or two weeks, part of which
involves taking your fire engine apart to paint individual panels.

Boulder Creek (next to Ben Lomond) just received a new fire engine:
https://www.piercemfg.com/customers/new-deliveries/boulder-creek-fire-district-pumper-33987
https://www.santacruzmountainbulletin.net/2020/03/16/boulder-creek-gets-a-new-fire-engine/

I sure hope it's UV stable.

Don't bet on it. The OEM paint job only needs to last as long as the
factory warranty. When it eventually fades, peels, or rusts, and you
feel the need to spend some money, think about powder coating instead
of wet paint process. It's not as flashy looking as metallic gloss,
but does last longer:
https://www.kompareit.com/homeandgarden/painting-compare-powder-coat-vs-paint.html

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

What a waste of a life Mrcheerful[_3_] UK 10 May 23rd 12 07:53 PM
Waste of money Rik Van Slick Racing 19 April 5th 10 12:44 PM
So here is some total waste Anton Berlin Racing 6 August 4th 09 05:05 AM
Wot a waste [email protected] UK 11 February 28th 08 08:24 AM
Waste of a bike. Bill Baka General 15 April 13th 06 02:51 PM