A scientific opportunity to determine the efficacy of bicycle helmets

Old June 27th 20, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default A scientific opportunity to determine the efficacy of bicycle helmets

I see in the riots a number of the protestors are wearing cycling helmets, whether because they arrived at the bovver by bicycle and are afraid their comrades in statue-toppling and geri-beating will steal their helmet if left on the bike, or as protection from police batons when the authorities get tired of waiting out the mob. If the latter, they're likely to be disappointed.

But the images suggest a course of research we could follow to put a number on their disappointed, and get some hard figures of use for cyclists: We could note on television how many blows each helmet takes before it splits or, even if it doesn't split, before the rioter is subdued by the impact of the baton transmitted through the helmet. We'll soon discover whether bicycle helmets offer the minimal but real protection most of us can agree on, or the zero protection the Anti-Helmet Zealots insist on.

Andre Jute
A true scientist wastes no opportunity to gather data
Old June 27th 20, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, June 27, 2020 at 9:54:55 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Since so few people have bought Trek Helmets we should be people knocked unconscious with a single good blow. At least they will be able to honestly say, "My helmet saved my life."